Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Allow me to introduce myself...

I just found this forum and started posting but i realised i never formally introduced myself.

My name is Ryan, I'm 22y/o and i live in Knoxville TN. Although my dad is an avid hiker/canoer i don't have a whole lot of experience with being in the woods. I recently decided i wanted to start hiking/camping more so i ordered a HH Explorer Delux hammock and as soon as i get my money right i'd like to get a larger tarp and an underquilt for it.

I have a background in horticulture with an emphasis on edible and medicinal wildplants and hydroponic culture. I went to college for a few years but dropped out and got an office job in the magazine industry.

About 50lbs ago i enjoyed rock climbing and mountain biking but since this office job i sit around so much i have gained a lot of weight. I'm hoping that this hammock (and specifically the adventures i'll have with it) wil help me lose some weight and get in fighting shape again. I also enjoyed motorcycling (Deals Gap, Cherahola Skyway, etc.) on my Ninja but i sold it to buy and engagement ring for my S.O. I want another motorcycle but it isn't in the budget right now.

I just purchased an 07' Felt Q720 mountain bike and i'm hoping to do some overnight bike/camp trips with some friends. I did Tsali, NC 2 months ago on the ground and hardly slept so i am looking foward to hanging next trip!

I tend to be very sarcastic and "flip" with my responses sometimes so if i say something out of line please don't take it personally i was probably joking.

I'm really excited to join the outdoor/hammock culture and based on the few discussions i've already been involved with here i can tell this is a home to some VERY smart/creative/tallented people.

If you have any plant questions feel free to post up or PM me any time and i'll do my best to help you out if i can.

last thing- I'm getting married on august 11th so if anyone has any words of wisdom for me i'd love to hear them. (example: TURN AND RUN!!!!)

soooo.... thats me! Nice to meet all of you.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. ~George Smith Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan View Post
    last thing- I'm getting married on august 11th so if anyone has any words of wisdom for me i'd love to hear them. (example: TURN AND RUN!!!!).
    Personally, I think it's the wedding cake that does the bad stuff. Try going with a pie or something.

Congrats on the marriage, I hope the two of you beat the odds.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Welcome to the forum HandsomeRyan. Glad to have you aboard. Happy hanging.

TURN AND RUN is good advice. I got that a lot before I got married. Should have listened.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Welcome HR. Hi, I'm Stoikurt and I hammock. You'll very soon become addicted and your S.O. will start calling you crazy. Be careful, hammocks are a strong drug, but you've come to the right support group.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I'm getting married on august 11th so if anyone has any words of wisdom for me i'd love to hear them. (example: TURN AND RUN!!!!)
    Communication, communication, communication. Oh - and communication. Did I mention communication? Lol. If you talk to her enough, nothing is insurmountable - even long hours at the sewing machine and weeks of hiking
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    k-town, represent, i lived in knoxville from 98-04. climbed at the obed alot. maybe we met. happy hangin'...Brandon

S.O ?? I thought it was S.W.M.B.O???
    He who sits alone, sleeps alone, and walks alone, who is strenuous and subdues himself alone, will find delight in the solitude of the forest.

Images
    I just found this forum and started posting but i realised i never formally introduced myself.

My name is Ryan, I'm 22y/o and i live in Knoxville TN. Although my dad is an avid hiker/canoer i don't have a whole lot of experience with being in the woods. I recently decided i wanted to start hiking/camping more so i ordered a HH Explorer Delux hammock and as soon as i get my money right i'd like to get a larger tarp and an underquilt for it.

I have a background in horticulture with an emphasis on edible and medicinal wildplants and hydroponic culture. I went to college for a few years but dropped out and got an office job in the magazine industry.

About 50lbs ago i enjoyed rock climbing and mountain biking but since this office job i sit around so much i have gained a lot of weight. I'm hoping that this hammock (and specifically the adventures i'll have with it) wil help me lose some weight and get in fighting shape again. I also enjoyed motorcycling (Deals Gap, Cherahola Skyway, etc.) on my Ninja but i sold it to buy and engagement ring for my S.O. I want another motorcycle but it isn't in the budget right now.

I just purchased an 07' Felt Q720 mountain bike and i'm hoping to do some overnight bike/camp trips with some friends. I did Tsali, NC 2 months ago on the ground and hardly slept so i am looking foward to hanging next trip!

I tend to be very sarcastic and "flip" with my responses sometimes so if i say something out of line please don't take it personally i was probably joking.

I'm really excited to join the outdoor/hammock culture and based on the few discussions i've already been involved with here i can tell this is a home to some VERY smart/creative/tallented people.

If you have any plant questions feel free to post up or PM me any time and i'll do my best to help you out if i can.

last thing- I'm getting married on august 11th so if anyone has any words of wisdom for me i'd love to hear them. (example: TURN AND RUN!!!!)

soooo.... thats me! Nice to meet all of you.
    Welcome handsomeryan!
    Its nice to have another convert to hammock camping. I like mountain biking too and it surely eats up all the excess lbs as my experience suggest. Mountainbiking and hammock camping is a nice combination. You did the right choice.!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    good to have you in the group ryan. i've enjoyed learning about gardening & landscaping as well... but haven't taken it to the extent you have.
    i'll keep you in mind if i need an info source as i begin to add more edible plants to my yard
    my yard has gotten out of hand in the last several years since an injury, but i'm working to get it back into shape so it'll be a fun, interesting place to spend time... & hammock of course. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Hi HR. I'm a fat tire guy too. It is often easier to find a few hours to do a ride than a weekend to do a trip.

I work an office job also and biking 10-20 miles a few nights a week is a great way to keep the weight down which in turn makes hiking easier and more enjoyable.

I've been camping since I was 2 months old, switched to hammocks last year. . . . best sleeping experience ever!

lightning my pack and switching a hammock has really increased the fun I have on trips.

The people on this forum are helpful beyond belief!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast