DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Open Cell underpad
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Experimental hammock shelter.....FAIL.

Well sewn up the design I had in mind, and did a preliminary test hang; without any weight, it looks good, but add weight, the bug mesh windows ripped right off....this was an experiment in how it would take the various stress points..... so...next thing is to maybe order 4 more yards of Silnylon from Ripstop By The Roll; and make a 12 ft long rectangle tarp with center seam..... this will be around the same size as the plastic tarp I use, but MUCH less weight/bulk....

the original design, 12 ft long, 5 ft wide in middle, 36" wide each end with the bottom fabric pleated into the bottom seam of the triangle bug mesh windows;

well; I might just take the windows out and then test the hang again, it worked with the 8ft long duck hunter tarp shelter....so it SHOULD work if I do not have the mesh windows..(there goes the original idea of having mesh there to not require a separate bug net...)DSCN1841.jpgDSCN1842.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Let me guess: The window separated where it's sewn to the hammock, right?

You might try making it longer and wider than it need to be. Build in some "droop" at the end where it's sewn to the hammock and you'd have a stowage shelf kinda like on the Blackbird, but at the end of the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Open Cell underpad
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Let me guess: The window separated where it's sewn to the hammock, right?
    somewhat right, it separated where its sewn to the top fabric. the bottom fabric is not the true hammock ,but rather an UQP.

You might try making it longer and wider than it need to be. Build in some "droop" at the end where it's sewn to the hammock and you'd have a stowage shelf kinda like on the Blackbird, but at the end of the hammock.
    thats an idea; however this is limited by the fact I have a 55" wide fabric up top.....hence possibly buying another 4 yards to make it a much wider tarp/cover....to be honest, it might've worked if it was just a sock type of thing....lol.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Not sure what I'm looking at. Is there a separate hammock inside or is the bottom of that the hammock?

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Open Cell underpad
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Not sure what I'm looking at. Is there a separate hammock inside or is the bottom of that the hammock?
    there's a separate hammock inside there.

originally the idea was basically a more completely covered version of the duck hunter camo shelter, with bug mesh ends....that proved to be the failure point (bug mesh).....so I'll report back once I've removed the bug mesh windows and test it again, it is possible with the narrow/skinny tube shape, the point where my hammock is, is lower than where the bottom material is, due to the length of the fabric..so I might also need to cut it down a bit on the length so that it hangs right on my ridge line....

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    atleast it looks cool!

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Neat idea. I'm getting it now, I think: sort of a combo underprotector/bugnet-sock. ...but it's a little tight so when your hammock sagged, it pulled apart at the net/nylon seam? Perhaps if you measured the amount of netting you need while the hammock is under full weight and thus, pulling down on the underprotector material?

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I think you would solve your problem with some pleats in the bug net.

You can do what you want but I would get somebody else in the hammock and see how the ends change shape then consider how to put enough slack into the mesh to allow for it. YMMV.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Open Cell underpad
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    let me make this abundantly clear.

1) Hammock is green camo; separate from this contraption.

2) I have two suspensions for the hammock and the shelter; hammock is on green webbing with black hooks; shelter is connected via the camo cords knotted to the webbing via klemheist knots

3) It failed where the two suspensions run through that hole on each end

4) The weight in the separate hammock pulled hammock suspension down further than the shelter suspension's angles.

5) Thus resulting in a rip on one side's mesh window near the top of the window.

I will definitely look into adding shock/elastic tensioners on all the tie out points as well.

the window size is just around 22 inches tall with 36 inches base; and 27.5" sides; clearly the failure points lies in the locations of the suspensions; so if it works without the windows, then it works. if I find that the bottom of my hammock is pulling the bottom of the shelter down from the corners, then I will need to cut the shelter's length down a bit to the point that I still have coverage on the top..maybe a form of hex shape would be better?

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Open Cell underpad
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    I think you would solve your problem with some pleats in the bug net.

You can do what you want but I would get somebody else in the hammock and see how the ends change shape then consider how to put enough slack into the mesh to allow for it. YMMV.
    Just posted before I saw this;

I think maybe a better idea would be to have the windows be bisected so that the suspensions can travel up and down.....and add velcro to seal up the remaining gap...... if I still want the bug mesh windows.