Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    Also on the bunked hammocks I normally don't put a ridge line
    It's not the fall im scared of, it's the sudden stop at the end!!!

Only hang as high as your willing to fall- H.F. member

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ40, HG Inc20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I under stand the wife situation as I have one of those as well. What about doing some backyard testing with them on their own trees? Maybe that would ease her mind on the trail once she sees them able to do it on their own. They sound like they are pretty much able to do it on their own anyway, especially being well seasoned indoors... I applaud your efforts to ease her mind though by overcoming the obstacle you are facing with some good, old fashioned ingenuity! Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    I actually bunk bed hang with every new kid we introduce to the hobby. Just to give them that added bit of security. I use my superfly and my wife's DD tarp to cover them. Just have to use the doors open to avoid extra stress on the tarp. Have been doing it this way for two years with no issues as yet though I did end up with a kid's feet in my hammock. That one was a mover and we fixed it by using suspenders over the ridge line to hold the hammock up at her feet. Worked like a charm.

I also hang the hammocks with the straps coming off different sides of the same tree. That is the reason I can close the doors on the superfly. But it puts them beside each other and not so much on top one another.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    Various
    Tarp
    Henessy Rainfly
    Insulation
    UK Hamm. Winter UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Not to dampen your efforts of solving the problem with equipment, but one way could be to work on site selection and weather forecast. If you arenīt going to hang very often and/or the expected time when this situation is a factor isnīt measured in a lot of years you could always look at the weather forecast and simply not go hanging when rain plus high winds are expected. If that is not do-able, think about your camp site selection, make sure that it is protected from high winds. Stay on the lee side of hills, camp in forrests with a dense canopy and/or dense foliage.

Iīve hung BB style with a 3m*3m DD tarp with no issues regarding rain, the problem is when the wind starts pushing the rain horisontally. Remove/reduce the wind factor and hey presto, dry and happy wife

If you still want better protection I think that the idea you had about attaching panels to the bottom of your tarp down to the ground is the best way to go. You get a modular setup that you can tweak depending on the situation. Why carry a huge tarp if you know that the weather will stay dry? If the forecast is iffy, bring the panels. Make them out of a material that can double as a ground sheet and you get multiple use from them when not using them to break the wind. (english isnīt my first language, is that a "proper" use of the term "breaking wind?)
    Last edited by Tord Hoppe; 05-15-2014 at 06:57.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123