Make the switch from ground to hammock

Just spent a few nights at dolly sods and had a great trip but I'm finding it difficult to sometimes find flat spots and would like to camp in areas that are not overly used. I'll keep my cuben heximid and my 8x10 tarp for my Sierra trips but would like to start to use a hammock for east coast camping. I'm 5'8 180lbs and do not plan on using the hammock in temps lower than 30 degrees. I'm an ultralight hiker and would like to keep the weight down to a minimum. I already have a enlightenment equipment 40 degree quilt for my top insulation but was hoping to get some feedback on a good setup (tarp, hammock, underquilt, suspension).

Thanks so much for reading and I look forward to hanging!

I'm in the Pittsburgh pa area

Dan

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Welcome. You can't go wrong with any of the cottage vendors you see mentioned here. I would suggest watching for a group hang in your area and attending. That's an easy way to check out lots of different set ups. If you want to stay really ultralight, you may want to look at cuben tarps. Hammock Gear makes one and I'm sure there are some other vendors who do, but they don't come to mind right away.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    GrannyPat is all over it, the cottage vendors here and you can't go wrong. I went with Warbonnet and I am currently using the WBBB XLC and man is it sweet.
    I'm riding the C&O and the GAP this week, leaving Friday from Georgetown and should arrive in Pittsburg around the 7 or 8th, your neck of the woods. I hope to hammock the whole way.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Insulation
    Pad
    +1 for Warbonnet hammocks and gear...they're great!

Hammock
    sld treerunner dl
    Tarp
    toxaway
    Insulation
    hg incubator uq
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    one other thing to add...if you deal with any of the cottage vendors that are discussed here on HF, you can resell their gear for pretty close to what you paid for them. It's a pretty risk free way to dial in your gear and takes some of the stress out of getting it right the first time. Also, the for sale section here is a great resource.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow/Woobie
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    For actual Ultra light which it appears you have going, I would avoid the blackbird. I have a Warbonnet WBBB XLC and I love it, but there are much lighter set ups. You are probably going to want to use a very light traveler style hammock (no bug net/top cover attached) with a separate bug net (the heaviest part of the integrated bug net is the zipper). Other than that make sure you go with a whoopie sling suspension as I believe they are the lightest.

Here is a link that will give you some ideas: http://watermonkey.net/2011/09/08/th...ammock-set-up/

Here is one of the lighter hammocks being produced today: http://www.buttinasling.com/wewemi.html I'm not sure which is actually the lightest. Good news is at 5'8" 180lbs you wont need some of the things that make hammocks a lot heavier (longer, double layer, etc) so a good 9-10 foot single layer will work for you, and be as light as possible. Good luck.

ETA: While I would avoid Warbonnet hammocks for your purposes, the Warbonnet Yeti UQ is the lightest for its weight rating I believe at 12.5 ounces. I just got one and so far love it. Here is a small review in the warbonnet forum:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...d-Edge-unboxed!

Hammock
    DH Tbird
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 20*Burrow/Incub
    Suspension
    whoopie!!!
    Also you may want to check out Papa Smurf over at Dream Hammock. He has a bunch of different options, fabrics, and can customize to a degree. Click here for his weight calculator.
    "Not all who wander are lost." – JRR Tolkien

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    warbonnett or dream hammock. if you want light you'll sacrifice some features like integrated bug net, which I find invaluable. an 8x10 tarp will do ok. the yeti underquilt is a good option. since you're goint UL you'll want down quilts as I'm sure you know. whoopie sling suspensions are lilghter than cinch buckle, but my next hammock is going to be cinch buckles for sake of ease. I like fiddeling with my stuff, but I've come way to close to burning all the daylight getting it right.

• + New Posts