Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latch View Post
    Thanks for the advice and comments guys
    Latch,

Looks like you have a great set up on the trail. No wonder you're getting such good rest. If your trail mates are ground dwellers, you have it all over them, no pun intended. Regarding your pack search, as a ULA guy, I would submit that the Catalyst would probably be more than what you need. The OHM might be a tad shy of what you're looking for all though you could cram it to the limit. The in between option would be the Circuit. I'm currently using a circuit and it compares as follows to the Catalyst:

CIRCUIT

Volume Breakdown
    ◦Main Body: 2,400
    ◦Front Mesh Pocket: 400
    ◦Side Mesh Pocket: 350 ea
    ◦Ext. Collar: 500
    ◦Hipbelt Pockets: 100

General Guidelines
    ◦ Rec'd Max Load: 35 lbs or less
    ◦Rec'd Base Weight: 15 lbs or less
    ◦Weight (Torso-M, Hipbelt-M): 39* oz

* includes all removable items
    Total Volume: 4,200 cu in or about 68 liters

CATALYST

Volume Breakdown
    ◦Main Body: 2,600
    ◦Front Mesh Pocket: 600
    ◦Side Mesh Pocket: 350 ea
    ◦Ext. Collar: 600
    ◦Hipbelt Pockets: 100l

General Guidelines
    ◦ Rec'd Max Load: 40 lbs or less
    ◦Rec'd Base Weight: 20 lbs or less
    ◦Weight (Torso-M, Hipbelt-M): 48* oz

Total Volume: 4,600 cu in //about 75 liters

Hope that gives you a little more insight. There are a number of other great packs of similar size out there but once you've had a ULA on the trail, you won't want any other brand IMO. Comfort is key and this pack is customizable (a new word ?) right down to your waist size.

Best of luck!
    Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Widerness Logics
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks Semperfiguy. My dad would really like your name! Semper Fi is tattooed on his arm. I am leaning towards the circuit. Thanks for your input.

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    I would suggest you look at a granitegear blaze. There is constant praise of the ula packs in this forum so no doubt there is merit there. The blaze is light at around or slightly under 3 lbs but has a stiff suspension that is very adjustable. It is a minimalist pack without a lot of pockets so if you're an organizer freak it might not be the one for you but it's also very rugged and bulletproof. I love this pack and have not found a more comfortable carry. I have often thought of the Ulas with all the praise but off line I have talked to some owners that don't like the no suspension after a while. It does matter how much you carry and if you want to be able to use in the winter as well. It does it all for me.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thanks Semperfiguy. My dad would really like your name! Semper Fi is tattooed on his arm. I am leaning towards the circuit. Thanks for your input.
    Semper Fi to your Dad Latch.

We are three generations of Marines in our family. Regarding the Circuit, you will not be disappointed. When I got mine, I couldn't believe how light it felt in just picking it up. Granted I was using a Teton that was of heavier nomenclature, but the Circuit holds what you need for a week on the trail with no problem and it durable and rugged.

Have a blast. All the best!
    Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

The Lowcountry - SC (previously Boston, MA)
    Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Slings, Dutchware
    I am looking for something about 60-65 liters. My Gregory is like 80 plus. I have gotten a lot of bulk out of my pack using a hammock and switching from synthetics to down. Bring on some more advice please! ULA is tempting but I wonder about comfort... I know the new Osprey designs are supposed to help keep your back cool.
    I switched to the ULA Ohm 2.0 from a newer model Gregory Z55 with the modern suspension. I honestly feel the Ohm is more comfortable. My load range is 12lbs to 23lbs depending. Also, the ULA website lists the Ohm 2.0 at 63 liters. It is almost too much pack for my needs, but it can be easily cinched down with the side compression straps.

BTW- congrats on hiking that section. I've been to the NOC during the annual kayak sale and it would be cool to end a hike at that spot.
    Last edited by fishwater; 04-29-2014 at 07:32. Reason: adding more comment
    fishwater youtube channel: Check out my channel to see backpacking in New England

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    I was not comfortable with the catalyst, but then again i do not believe i had the right suspension for me as it was in need of longer shoulder straps per chris at ula. I did get the mariposa which has been great but i know being the over packer i am and looking for winter capabilities too which i am figuring would hit the forty pound range, i splurged after selling some gear and just ordered a unaweep from paradox packs...at about the same weight as a catalyst is should provide twice the carrying capablities and according to everything i can find that the hipbelt does not slip, which is very important to me at this stage of the game. i just have to learn to let go of pockets...i love them a place for everythin and everything in its place..but the possibilites of comfort and capabilities far outweigh a pound or so..
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwater View Post
    I switched to the ULA Ohm 2.0 from a newer model Gregory Z55 with the modern suspension. I honestly feel the Ohm is more comfortable. My load range is 12lbs to 23lbs depending. Also, the ULA website lists the Ohm 2.0 at 63 liters. It is almost too much pack for my needs, but it can be easily cinched down with the side compression straps.

BTW- congrats on hiking that section. I've been to the NOC during the annual kayak sale and it would be cool to end a hike at that spot.
    Good Info Fishbait. This is making it difficult for Latch. Nonetheless, I'm putting in the OHM comparative data to supplement the data I had previously put in an earlier post on the Circuit and Catalyst.

OHM

Volume Breakdown
    Main Body: 2,100
    Front Mesh Pocket: 500
    Side Pocket: 400 ea
    Ext. Collar: 500
    Hipbelt Pockets: 100

General Guidelines
    Rec'd Max Load: 30 lbs or less
    Rec'd Base Weight: 12 lbs or less
    Weight (Torso-M, Hipbelt-M): 29* oz

Total Volume: 3,960 cu in //about 63 liters

All the best.

Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Sub'Kilo
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Before you rush off and buy an internet-only UL pack, I feel you shold hear at least one pro-Osprey voice crying out into the wilderness!

The Exos 58 is a little heavy, maybe, at about 2 1/2 lbs., and the Atmos 65 even moreso at about 3 1/2... and they may have more bells and whistles than you really need (trekking pole loops? a gel pocket?)... but in their defense they're well thought-out and well-built; and the airspeed suspension system is something truly wodnrous to behold!

Before you commit to a mail-order cottage-made pack, you ought to at least give Osprey a look! Then, when you decide you really, really want a cottage-made UL pack but really, really love that airspeed suspension, give Zpacks a call ;-)
    Add life to your years!

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubahhh View Post
    Before you rush off and buy an internet-only UL pack, I feel you shold hear at least one pro-Osprey voice crying out into the wilderness!

The Exos 58 is a little heavy, maybe, at about 2 1/2 lbs., and the Atmos 65 even moreso at about 3 1/2... and they may have more bells and whistles than you really need (trekking pole loops? a gel pocket?)... but in their defense they're well thought-out and well-built; and the airspeed suspension system is something truly wodnrous to behold!

Before you commit to a mail-order cottage-made pack, you ought to at least give Osprey a look! Then, when you decide you really, really want a cottage-made UL pack but really, really love that airspeed suspension, give Zpacks a call ;-)
    Scubahhh,

Sound logic for sure. Absolutely nothing wrong with any of the packs that have been recommended in this thread. That's the beauty of backpacking in today's world. There are so many great pieces of gear to choose from.

With all of the info provided, I'm sure latch will come up with what's best for his hike.

Thanks for chiming in. It's all in the interest of helping a fellow hanger and hiker.

All the best !
    Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast