Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    Just wondering, which hennessy did you try?
    A safari should be about as roomy as it's gonna get. If you've not tried one see if you can. I hate answering with "buy more hammocks", so I don't know if trying all these different models is an option. If it were to fit you comfortably then add a Zipper mod (or not) and yer good to go. I have a safari and it's ridiculously large nothing touches me anywhere. course I'm only 6' and 250.
    I thought I was wrong once, turns out I was wrong about that.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    How many successive nights have you "suffered" through in the hammock? It generally takes the third night for my body to adapt to a new sleeping environment, either on the ground or in the air (and that's three nights, every time I switch back and forth).

My first night in a hammock was horrible. It does take a lot of extra work for some of us to get it just right. It sounds to me like your issue is not any particular style of hammock, but rather your body adjusting to the change.

Definitely a good idea to get used to it before heading out, but don't worry too much about getting on the trail - hike yourself tired enough and you'll be able to sleep anywhere.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    How many successive nights have you "suffered" through in the hammock? It generally takes the third night for my body to adapt to a new sleeping environment, either on the ground or in the air (and that's three nights, every time I switch back and forth).

My first night in a hammock was horrible. It does take a lot of extra work for some of us to get it just right. It sounds to me like your issue is not any particular style of hammock, but rather your body adjusting to the change.

Definitely a good idea to get used to it before heading out, but don't worry too much about getting on the trail - hike yourself tired enough and you'll be able to sleep anywhere.
    I agree with sclittlefield. When I made my test hammock, it took me awhile to get used to the feel of it. My first night I slept outside in it, I had dreams of everything imaginable coming up to the hammock. It does take a little time to adjust. Don't give up and throw in the towel just yet.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I think we may be grooming another convert to a DIY bridge. A custom job from the Jacks would be a rahter unique adventure and I suspect somewhat costly. A DIY bridge however can be much more realistic and manageable. There are several quants and bridge gurus on this board who I suspect would be more than happy to give you and assist with the design considerations. Grizz and TeeDee both spring immediately to mind. Given your dislike of the sides flopping in like that I strongly suspect that a bridge is the way to go.
    Yep, that's what I was thinking as I read more about the problems. If he can try one a bit wider and longer than the BMBH. The trouble with that is, I suppose, that a DIY is a pretty good commitment, time and energy wise, for some one who is not yet sure if he is even a hanger. If there was some way he could get to and try out a larger DIY bridge?

Of course, even if it works better, there is still no guarantee you are going to be able to sleep. Some nights are better than others, and ear plugs help. But I still don't think I have yet had one really good nights sleep in my back yard or at a camp ground. I'm usually not tired and there is just too much going on noise wise. But with out fail, after a hard days hiking- or even when base camping- I have never failed to get a profoundly deep sleep in the woods, in my hammocks. Tired from hiking or not, I usually take longer to adjust to a strange place the first night or two on a pad on the ground. And I always toss and turn a lot more on the ground, side to side. But I understand you being hesitant to gamble on that.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 06-28-2009 at 22:04.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Taking what has been a concern of yours the DIY longer bridge will solve some of the problems that you have. But it takes some time and effort to build one to test unless you can find one to test that is close.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    My secret weapon is Simply Sleep. I use it the first night and it gets me over that "this is different" hump that makes my body want to keep me up all night. Usually by night 2 I'm drained enough that I could fall asleep on board with rusty nails. Another helpful item is an hour of an audio book using my iPod. Something that gets my mind off the fact that I am trying to sleep in a fabric wrapper under a small piece of coated fabric for rain shelter helps me drift off.

On my most recent trip I was hanging on some smallish Aspens and I never could get the tension just right because they would bend inwards when I got in the hammock. This was my second night on the trail after 9 miles and 3000 feet of steep descending trail. I was out like a light bulb and didn't stir again till daybreak.

Just my observation that usually your ability to get over the small differences increases with each night out.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I know this will surprise a lot of you to hear me say this, but....

...some people just don't 'fit' in a hammock. It's a shame and a crime against humanity, but it's true. You may in fact be one of those peoople; for that, you have my condolences. I think it's important to get that fact out there and out of the way.

Having said that, you've gotten some good 'fix-it' advice here. I like the part about spending several nights in it; try it at home where a bad night's sleep won't totally destroy your day in the morning. It was my third morning getting out of a hammock that sealed the deal for me. I was comfortable enough the first night, but was left wondering what I had gotten myself into. The second night I slept pretty good, but the third night any doctor would have mistaken me for dead.

Keep your mind open and try to get yourself accustomed to the hammock if you can, but don't cost yourself sleep. The whole point of a hammock to me is better sleep. If you aren't getting it (good sleep), why bother? You've got the best hammock out there IMO, so I hope you can turn this around. If not, you'll have zero problems unloading it here.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I'm trying to think back to the first couple of nights in the Hennessy - I didn't have anywhere at the apartment to hang it, and didn't think about local parks, so went on a 10 mile hike in the wrong shoes and nearly froze myself changing clothes... I had a blue ccf and a Ray Way quilt, and the temps dropped significantly to the point that I had cold spots. But I slept, maybe because I was exhausted and footsore. Didn't really have a problem after that.

But, after using the HH for a few trips, I started to feel claustrophobic... so here I am with a Blackbird. I'm just puzzled that anyone would find it constricting, I'm definitely sensitive to constricting places. I even sleep on my right side and I'd think that would put my face in the sidewall but I can't recall that being a problem.

I think everyone has very valid points.

In regards to some questions, the HH I tried was the Explorer Deluxe. Truth be told, I thought it was a neat design, but I hated getting in it from the bottom and really never felt like it was remotely comfortable.

The Blackbird I have now is very comfortable and I'm actually thrilled with nearly everything about it. I've tried unsuccessfully to sleep in it two nights in a row with the end result going back into the house. I should mention that I have expansive and undisturbed property, but it is ungodly hot right now which definitely played a factor. I think it would be irresponsible to say that I've given it my best shot which is why I'm asking questions and thinking rather than just returning it. I have a lot to learn and likely a lot of it is adjusting my body to something new.

Those who keep suggesting a custom bridge, this idea would likely work, but I'm at my limits with accepting the weight of a hammock as-is and I think a bridge would just be too much. I'm a lightweight backpacker and my normal shelter, a tarp, is 9 ounces...which is why jumping to a 36 oz hammock plus 9 ounce tarp is hard to swallow.

Hammock
    homemade speer
    Tarp
    Homemade MacCat
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Suspension
    ring buckle, strap
    Images
    I can't sleep in a hammock without earplugs. I have to have them! But as far as my head feeling squeezed, I have found that a layer between my head and the hammock (a pillow or a polar fleece folded a couple times) eliminates this problem for me.
    Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast