Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    DIY tree straps

My first hang!

I went to Indian Cave State Park in the far southeast corner of Nebraska. My first hang taught me that I have no clue what I'm doing. I need to learn how to tie knots better. I think I picked trees that were too far apart, because the ends of my hammock were almost even with my tarp. Or maybe I should have hung the hammock with more sag in it? Maybe I should add a ridgeline? I don't know. At this point, I'm willing to drive to a hang in the midwest so I can get some pointers from someone who knows what they're doing.

The sleep was incredibly good. I was out in 5 minutes, and typically I lie awake for a long time before falling asleep. I stayed warm except for one point in the night where my shoulders came untucked, which was easily remedied.

Attachment 84755

Attachment 84756
    Last edited by gmcttr; 04-28-2014 at 10:16.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Looks like you've got a great setup for your first hang!

I have trouble getting the sag in my hammock right when I use trees that are too far apart. I picked up a structural ridge line to help keep my sag the same every time.

Congrats on a good nights sleep!

Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    If you slept well, then you hung your hammock the correct way. Practice makes perfect! If you are comfortable with more sag in the hammock, then you'd have better tarp coverage at each end. Good luck!
    I'm a Mormon. I know it, I live it, and I love it.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for including the pics - that always helps.

When I look at them, I'd say you did a good job. No better validation than you slept well.

You could lower the tarp closer to the hammock in bad weather (or raise the hammock).
    That would get the ends of you hammock under the tarp itself.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7D
    Tarp
    Superfly or DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator +MSS
    Suspension
    Straps or Whoopies
    A structural ridgeline will help make your sag consistent with some variation in setup, and adding more sag will make the hammock a bit shorter. That said, if you find it most comfortable where it was, adding sag isn't the right way to go (unless you haven't tried more sag...you might find it even better). It looks like the slightly off center, so centering it over the hammock would add some coverage a the foot end, but take it away from the head end. Then lower the tarp like TallPaul mentioned if you still need more coverage.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    HG Blue Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Kammok Straps
    Congrats on a successful first hang! I'm trying out my new setup this weekend. I am glad you posted pictures to give me some ideas of a few things to adjust, as others have stated.

Question for others based on OP's pics: Can you hang the ridgeline for the tarp lower than the level of the hammock tree straps? Or does that get in the way when you get in/out of the hammock?

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    DIY tree straps
    1. I haven't tried a hang with more sag. I tried placing my caribiners in lower loops on my tree straps, but that ended with my butt touching the ground. Good for a laugh, but not much else.

2. I think I am going to try using a structural ridgeline so the ends of my hammock are underneath my tarp.

3. I had a REALLY tough time getting the tarp hung up in the first place, so I will have to work on getting the tarp hung closer to my hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    Often the attachment point for the tarp is lower on the tree than the straps for the hammock to make it all work out.
    Looks like you are already on track for a structural ridge line, it will as others have said, make your hang more consistent.
    Good on your first hang!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Fixed the photos so they show.

Actually, I think the hammock and tarp setup look good. The bug net support lines on that style hammock will limit how low the tarp can be placed so you might play around with those.

The underquilt looks like it could be tightened up but it's hard to tell without someone in it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    DIY tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post

Actually, I think the hammock and tarp setup look good. The bug net support lines on that style hammock will limit how low the tarp can be placed so you might play around with those.

The underquilt looks like it could be tightened up but it's hard to tell without someone in it.
    That bug net is tricky! I have thought of a new way to suspend it to keep it up off my face. I am going to give that a shot on my next hang after I incorporate the ridgeline.

EDIT: And I think hanging the bugnet differently will help the entire hang, now that I think about it. Thanks for pushing that to the forefront of my mind.

Luckily, the UQ is pretty snug once I am in the hammock. It does look pretty loosey goosey when I'm out, though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast