HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images

Sewing options?

Trying to weight my options for sewing.
    I have an older Brother VX757 sewing machine, tried to use it a few years ago to sew ripstop nylon for my kids Model Rocket parachutes, I could never get it to work. My mother got it up and running for me, but "I" could never get it to work for me. Heck it took me an hour to "thread it".

So is there any "new" machines that would be better than the Brother VX757for sewing nylon ?

Thanks,
    Slack

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    In all liklihood it was not the machine that caused your problems so a new machine is unlike to solve them. Take a look at the "We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! vid series and see if that will help you out. Without knowing what the problems you ran into it is rather difficult to help you solve them. What did the machine do that did not work for you?

Before you spend your money on a thread injector instead of new gear.... lets see if we can get you set up on the one you have. I believe my wife had a machine very much like that and it was a fine machine. Stitch some samples and throw some pics up and lets see what we can do,

http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diag...ng_diagram.htm

There's the threading instructions for that machine so it shouldn't take you an hour this time.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    Thanks guys,
    When I tried it, all I remember was a big wad of thread and a lot of cussing.
    I buddy and me are going to take it up to a local shop, have them tune it up, and pay for some sewing lessons.
    Our wives think we are turning "gay".

Slack

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If the big wad of thread was on the bottom that could be a tension issue. Good move to take it to the shop and get some lessons. But if need be... remember... We don't Sew.... We Make Gear...

sewing machine? what's that we use a power operated thread injector.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    To cover the "older" machine topic, I have two machines, a newer plastic Singer that my Mom purchased for around $800. It has been used maybe 2 hours, and already it seems that the timing is off, since I can't get it to wind a bobbin. I spoke with a repair shop, and it's a minimum of $150 for him to retime this machine and get it working.

The other machine I have is a Singer Featherweight 221. Rock solid, and built like a tank. I personally watched my Grandmother sew on that thing for hours. Don't give up on an older machine, in my case the older machine is hands down the winner in both reliability, and ease of use. Once you get the hang of your machine, you will be using up material like it's nobody's business. I know that I never would have guessed that I would be sitting here with about 20 yards of material and lamenting that I don't think it's enough..

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post
    The other machine I have is a Singer Featherweight 221.
    Not that you would ever do it... but that featherweight is worth the price of several Blackbirds if it is only in working condition. If it is still cosmetically attractive it is worth far more. If it is pristine you could be looking at close to 4 figures. Take good care of that machine. It is highly prized by quilters and collectors. Check ebay if you want a shock.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    The 1st sewing machine I bought was a Singer and had nothing but problems. 2 days later I took it back to Sears and bought a Kenmore 58 stitch normally $120. on sale for $99. this has been the best machine for me. Never had a problem and even sews the webbing with no problems.
    http://www.kenmore.com/shc/s/p_10154...ewing+Machines

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Singer went through a very bad stretch which they have not fully recovered from. A lot like Black and Decker... not to open up another can of worms. There was a time in the 1960's where Singer lost its brand value by following some very short sighted cost cutting measures. The plastics used for the gearing were no where near what they are now. Recently Singer has regained some ground but mostly for the home sewing market. The industrial quality old Singers are bomb proof. There are still a few highly prized old Singer machines that are eagerly sought after.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Not that you would ever do it... but that featherweight is worth the price of several Blackbirds if it is only in working condition. If it is still cosmetically attractive it is worth far more. If it is pristine you could be looking at close to 4 figures. Take good care of that machine. It is highly prized by quilters and collectors. Check ebay if you want a shock.
    Thanks. You are right on all accounts. I don't think I could part with it right now, although I have given away two other sewing machines owned by my grandmothers. They went to good homes so I don't feel bad about it. This 221 though will stay at my house. It runs perfect, and she took very good care of it. It has just normal wear and tear. She used it quite a bit, but kept it in immaculate shape. I wouldn'y go as far as pristine, because it's been used, but it looks good. I must say the hum of this little machine does bring back a lot of memories. And it's simple to use. I just need more practice.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images

Timing Help

Many older sewing machines are pretty much the same in how they work and how to time them. There are a lot of resources available on the web on setting the timing. Sailrite.com used to have some good information on setting the timing on their machines as well as others. It is a tedious process, but it is a step by step process that most DIYers are capable of doing.

Like others mentioned, it may be a technique issue more than a timing issue. Timing problems usually result in shredded thread, broken needles, irregular stiches. Try it out on some normal fabric and see how it does. Ripstop and other slippery fabrics can be hard to sew because they do not feed well in most machines.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast