Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Ran to REI today and no surprise they didn't carry the map for the White Mountains. Looking on Amazon and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the ones they have for sale.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193...pf_rd_i=507846

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156...pf_rd_i=507846

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/189...pf_rd_i=507846

I am also assuming as an experienced backpacker I don't need to invest in the guide book for 3-4 day hike.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    the second map is the one that I have. I don't think you can go wrong with the AMC maps either.
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Sub'Kilo
    Suspension
    Webbing
    The Appalachian Mountain Club publishes the definitive guidebooks and maps. I'd recommend you invest $20 in the newest version, complete with maps for the entire White Mountain area, ot just the Presidentials. Look for the "White Mt. Guide," 29th Edition.

If you're thinking about a north-south Presidential traverse, it's an interesting challenge becuase it's a little long for most people as a day-hike (about 23 miles and 9000' or more, depending on how you do it); a little short for a three-day trip. Right in the middle. The problem is, camping is really difficult anywhere near the halfway point, because yo're above timberline and it's a long walk down (and back up!) to finr a good spot.

Once you get your guidebook and maps (might as well join the AMC while you're at it... it's a good organization and as a member you get some cool discounts!) you can do some armchair planning. For example, you might want to spend your first night at one of the RMC spots on the north slope (just a couple hours in from the road); then head over the higher peaks and spend your second night by Mizpah Hut; and then maybe take a roundabout route down to Crawford Notch on the third day...

Have fun!
    Add life to your years!

Hammock
    DIY
    Last summer (in July I believe) I was a leader on several hikes around New Hampshire for a youth group and we hiked Mount Pierce and spent a little time at the summit before heading back down. As far as bugs go, I had no problems down in the woods while I was hiking (didn't even use bug spray), but as soon as we stopped at the top, the gnats were terrible. If you kept moving they weren't bad at all but sitting still they'd swarm around you and start biting. They weren't painful bites but they drew blood, and several people, including myself, found blood dripping from behind their ears or down their legs! I think it might have been a freak occurrence since it was a very calm day even on the summit, but I didn't sit long for a rest up there and kept walking in circles to keep them from landing on me. But like I said, if you kept moving, bugs were not a problem at all and I don't think most days were like this one.

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

what i know

gnats are more annoying than the mossies, but i wouldn't sleep without a bug net on my hammock. The Pemi hike is worth all the hype as well if you are looking for options- we have done that one- look to include The Bonds in that 3 day hike. You want to make sure you are prepared weather wise- bring a rain jacket and a down coat because it can get rather chilly on a hot August day up in the Whites. There are designated back country sites you can stay at or you can stealth it. Bears are out there- i know that Lincoln Woods center is renting out Bear cannisters to hikers now.. and the little critters (i.e. squirrels and chipmunks) like to eat through most bags. I'd check out at least getting an Ursack. make sure you have plenty of water and sunscreen on those ridges- they are long and high up. lots of up and down, rocks, crags... wear shoes that you trust and bring a blister pack.. it's almost inevitable to avoid them.
    have fun!!! we are planning either another Pemi or Presi hike for mid June ourselves. Hiking up to the summit of Mt. Washington is pretty cool. they have a hut with free water and a cash food bar. don't get annoyed by all the people who stand by the "Mt. Washington" summit sign... they are tired from driving up the mountain.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Be sure to use a map based on Washburn's survey & map such as this... http://shop.mountwashington.org/prod...tml?fullSite=1
    The USGS map is lacking.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Thx Mad-- I ordered that map for next month.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    Army Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    Whoopie & HF Strap
    You can't camp within 1/4 mile of a hut, (signs will let you know) There are tent platforms at Mizpah Hut, nothing from there until you pass Mt Jefferson, UNLESS, you drop down into Tuckermans Ravine, via Boot Spur, where there are lots of shelters. Make sure to tell them you hike down from the ridge if they say its full. They always have space set aside for ridge hikers. The next morning you can climb back up over the headwall, always a fun hike, and continue north over Mt Washington.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Here is my tentative trip plan. Please tell me what you think and let me know if you think there is a better way to tackle this trip.

We arrive in Boston on a Wednesday night and are going to grab dinner and some beers in the city. My friend who lives up there gets off of work at 6am the next morning and we are picking him up first thing Thursday morning and driving to NH.

We plan on starting at Pinkham Notch around noon and following the AT to Madison Hut and then down to the Valley way tent site for our first night. This is about 8 miles from what I can tell and will have some pretty big climbs for our first day on the trail.

The next morning we will continue on the AT over Mt. Jefferson and then Mt. Washington and we hope to get lunch at the summit and spend a little time there. We would continue on over Mt. Monroe, Mt. Eisenhower, and Mt. Pierce ending the day near the Mizpah spring hut and camping at the Nauman tent site. This looks like a 12 mile day.

From there the plan is to go down the dry river cutoff to the isolation trail and make it back to Pinkham Notch that night to camp. It is about 10.2 miles. Then Sunday morning we plan on driving to Portland and taking in the city for a day before driving back to Boston Monday morning. This also gives us some spare time just in case the weather doesn't cooperate and we need to spend more time than planned on the trail.

If we were feeling good and the weather cooperates we would consider continuing on the AT over Mt. Jackson and Webster to Rt. 302 then following the Saco River Trail to the Dry River Trail to the Isolation Trail to the Boot Spur Trail and back to Pinkham Notch. This would put us back sometime around lunch on Sunday as we would camp somewhere on the trail. It adds about 9 miles to the trip.

The shorter trip plan is a 32 mile hike and the longer option is a 44 mile hike. Both options cover all the main peaks and start and end at Pinkham notch.

Any thoughts or experiences you have had with a trip similar to this are greatly appreciated. I am always open to changes or amendments. Thanks in advance!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    Army Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    Whoopie & HF Strap
    I've made most of those legs and they are doable, weather dependent.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast