Woven hammock first time

My name is billy I'm from chittenango ny I'm new to the forum as well as hammocks. Basically I got a tick in my brain the other day that I wanted to build a hammock, I'm a contractor by trade so I like building things and figured it would be a fun project. I've don't a lot of research on the weaving techniques and I'm quite confident I can handle that aspect as well as building the jig. So my question to you guys and girls is what rope should I use and what size. I intend to leave it in the weather so from what I've read I should go with a polyester rope over a cotton rope. I'm new to this and I'm not looking to spend a big chunk of change on my first one so if anyone has some suggestions on where to buy the rope in bulk cheap that would be great and one last thing is the length of the rope. From what I've read I should need approx 600ft of rope for a single person hammock is that in the ball park? Thank you and I look forward to becoming a part of this forum

Are you thinking of weaving a Mexican style hammock? If so I can only reflect only friend who spent 4 hours a day for 2 months weaving one in my shed. He used a couple of miles of no. 5 nylon thread bought from Mexico. The finer the thread, the more thread you need but it results in a more comfortable lay.

One more thing. He only slings it when he wants to lie on it then packs it up when finished, careful to keep it out of the sun. He had used it every day for ten years until it was stolen.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I think he's talking about weaving a net style hammock.

Not a lot of experience on here with that, as far as I know. Mostly we make hammocks from a continuous piece of cloth.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    dejoha may be able to advise you. Here is his write up on making a Mayan hammock... http://theultimatehang.com/2013/07/w...mayan-hammock/

I'm talking about a simple rope hammock. Looks like I could build one in 12 hrs or less sorry for the confusion I am most definatly not attempting the hammock shown in that link haha

Thanks for clarifying. I still have some no.5 nylon floating around the place and I cannot snap it with my hands. The importers of similar hammocks in Brisbane Queensland telos me theirs used no. 9 nylon so I can imagine it is a lot stronger. My conversations with my friend indicated although strength of the string isn't in question the closeness of the weave affects the comfort. Too open and you can feel the string cut in to you. Now this is only information from conversations and I have had zero actual experience except from lying in his once.

• + New Posts