Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Webbing

Post The Great Indoor Hang Debate

So, I've been looking at posts the past couple days for opinions/ideas on putting eye bolts into the walls (2x4 studs) so I can hang indoors.

I have seen many posts where folks TALK/THEORIZE about how the wall or stud COULD come crashing down, and have also read many posts where people have EXPERIENCE hanging from the walls without incident.

Just wondering if there are any cases folks have tried it, and have EXPERIENCE with the wall failing to some degree

I'm sure there is a risk there, and those individuals are just expressing the potential hazards, but I just have never seen a post where someone said "I hung from the wall, and it failed (came crashing down, warped the wall, 2x4 split, etc.)"...it's always "it could"

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR, Dream Hammock TB
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Good ole Dutch
    Thats a great question, i have been trying to figure this out myself whats the best option for a indoor hang. Thanks for asking i look forward to the responses...

Images
    I drilled a pilot hole and screwed two large eyebolts from home depot into the walls of my shop (into stud). Been hanging in it a year and havent had any issues. That being said... I always put a sleeping pad under me (just in case). The idea of falling on my back on a concrete floor doesn't appeal to me.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Best practice is to spread the load between two studs, so have the eye bolt in the middle of a piece of wood, and drill the wood into the studs.

That being said, I have not done that. Lol. I have big eye bolts straight into the middle of the studs, its been up for about 5 months and I sleep on it every night, of course I never jump on it, and I'm very delicate getting in and out. I haven't had any issues, I always check if the wall is bending and haven't seen any sign of weakness.

uploadfromtaptalk1398784903656.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398784949164.jpg
    I'd rather be hanging.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    It seems like I've seen a video of a hammock taking a porch down. Inside I think it's more of a hang at your own risk. If I had my own place I would do it, but I don't know that I want to risk it in a rental.

Hammock
    TTTM Double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    It seems like I've seen a video of a hammock taking a porch down. Inside I think it's more of a hang at your own risk. If I had my own place I would do it, but I don't know that I want to risk it in a rental.
    Is there really a difference in needing to repair a wall depending on the ownership of said wall?

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaDan View Post
    Is there really a difference in needing to repair a wall depending on the ownership of said wall?
    I guess it's a mental thing for me. I feel worse when I break someone else's stuff than when I break my own.

Hammock
    11 ft Dutch
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 season New River
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    Images
    I am not an expert on this matter, but what I do believe is that there is a lot of debate because there has been cases of a hammock snapping a 4x4 post. But what you have to realize is the 4x4 was a piece by is self. By going into a wall you are going into a tied together structure of either 1 inch of Sheetrock tieing many 2x4s together or 1/2 inch Sheetrock and 1/2 plywood, outside wall, tieing many 2/4s together. Unless you are in a cheaply built speck house which may use buffalo board or even just plywood in the corners and foam board for outside walls. If this is the case I would try to stay on inside walls. I feel that the inside hang is safer then a 4x4. All this being said be careful with either one and attempt at your own risk.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Two years, three different hammocks (the latest one weighs 10 pounds---Yes. I have a 10 pound hammock), no problems:

Caveat:

The house was built in the '40s. That means all the 2 x 4's are actually 2" x 4" and the spacing between them is likely less than 18". The wood paneling also imparts some strength---that Sheetrock definitely would not. The anchor in the corner goes to a point where I know two studs come together, and the anchor at the window goes through a place where I know there are (2) studs framing the jambs.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JToon View Post
    I am not an expert on this matter, but what I do believe is that there is a lot of debate because there has been cases of a hammock snapping a 4x4 post. But what you have to realize is the 4x4 was a piece by is self. By going into a wall you are going into a tied together structure of either 1 inch of Sheetrock tieing many 2x4s together or 1/2 inch Sheetrock and 1/2 plywood, outside wall, tieing many 2/4s together. Unless you are in a cheaply built speck house which may use buffalo board or even just plywood in the corners and foam board for outside walls. If this is the case I would try to stay on inside walls. I feel that the inside hang is safer then a 4x4. All this being said be careful with either one and attempt at your own risk.
    I can tell you without fear of disagreement from an engineering professional that you will get nearly zero added strength from Sheetrock, at least as it applies to the loads in question.

The Sheetrock is there mainly to support the paint or the wallpaper, a picture or two, and not much more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast