Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

3 season ground sleeping: HG Burrow 20* or 40* w/overfill?

This is my first post, so I would like to introduce myself

26 year young male living in Chicagoland. Have always done car camping for the past 5 or 6 years, now its time for my friends and I to start backpacking.

I'm looking for a 3 season quilt. I was pretty set on an EE Rev Pro, but then found Hammock Gear and was all about it due to them being a bit less expensive. This quilt will mainly be for Spring/Summer/Fall. Maybe a winter night or two, but not backpacking related (car camping for the most part). I got a thermarest xtherm as my pad, which has a pretty considerable R-Value of 5.7. I am 6'1", 180lbs and a decently warm sleeper.

The ultimate question of this thread, is I'm looking at either the Burrow in 20* or 40* with an ounce or two of overfill to serve as my 3 season quilt. I'm not gram-obsessed, btw. I know I could probably do 40* with some insulating clothes for the colder temps, but just want to see some opinions. Just not sure if I'll be sweating too much if I go with the 20* and sleep in 60* nights.

Any opinions? I emailed Andy about a week ago and haven't heard a response yet (sales@hammockgear).

Thanks VERY much guys! I know you probably get a decent amount of first time threads like these, but I do appreciate the suggestions.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You sure you have the right forum? I would think you would get better answers to "best topquilt for sleeping on the ground" on a forum dedicated to people who sleep on the ground.

For hammock camping, a 20* quilt set is probably the most versatile. I've used mine from 75 degrees down to 3 degrees. I've never used my quilts on the ground so I don't know what that's like (other than painful).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    Personally I'd go with the 20* it's what I use for a 3 season quilt and has worked just fine. Also, if you're planning on using it as a ground quilt, upgrade to the wide option as it will give you extra coverage on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    You sure you have the right forum? I would think you would get better answers to "best topquilt for sleeping on the ground" on a forum dedicated to people who sleep on the ground.

For hammock camping, a 20* quilt set is probably the most versatile. I've used mine from 75 degrees down to 3 degrees. I've never used my quilts on the ground so I don't know what that's like (other than painful).
    Well, this is a hammock site. The company is called hammock gear, which has the word hammock in it, and there's a lot of talk about their quilts on this site. I'm going to go ahead and say yes, I am sure I have the right forum. Thanks for your condescending "advice" though. 75* is pretty up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrprince View Post
    Personally I'd go with the 20* it's what I use for a 3 season quilt and has worked just fine. Also, if you're planning on using it as a ground quilt, upgrade to the wide option as it will give you extra coverage on the ground.
    That's the plan. Heard of a few people getting a 58" width as well and attaching hoops for pad securing... probably roll with that as well. Thanks man!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Come on SilvrSurfr, that's not the spirit we have here. Let's try to help him with what knowledge we can, then when he realizes sleeping on the ground is horrible...we can help him even more later

Oh and to the OP, I would go 20* quilt for what you are asking. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    Come on SilvrSurfr, that's not the spirit we have here. Let's try to help him with what knowledge we can, then when he realizes sleeping on the ground is horrible...we can help him even more later

Oh and to the OP, I would go 20* quilt for what you are asking. YMMV
    I do want to eventually get to hammock camping, but for right now I'm taking the traditional route with a pad/tent until I get some experience under my belt. I have read that hammock sleeping is the best physical sleep for your body, camping or not.

Just a bit afraid that the 20* will be too hot with the sleeping pad, but it seems like I should be okay, and venting it, etc will help a bunch. Thanks!

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    I'm a ground dweller coming up in the world...

I use a 20°F quilt and a 3/4 Thermarest in three seaons, and the same quilt and a Downmat 9 in the winter. Pack accordingly so you can layer; easy to kick off the quilt to vent during the summer. It's sure nice to have the warmth for those times when a cold spell moves in unexpectedly.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to be condescending - while this forum has a paddling, cutlery, and backpacking section (for donating members), I would think you'd get better (and more) opinions on any of those topics by going to a forum dedicated to those topics.

Some folks worry about being too warm, and some worry about being too cold. Personally, I'm a hot sleeper, so you would think a 20* quilt in 75 degree weather would be too warm for me. However, it is a top quilt, and venting is easy. The only reason I would go with a 40* TQ with 2 oz. overstuff is if I was a gram weenie who planned to use the quilt in a limited range of temps. Many hard-core hammock hangers have several sets of quilts to cover specific temp ranges. They don't want to carry a single gram more than they have to for the conditions and can afford multiple quilt sets. In your case, a 20* HG Burrow would be 17.3 oz, whereas a 40* with 2 oz. overstuff is 13.6 oz., a difference of 3.7 oz.

Last week I went out with my 20* quilt set and daytime temps were 65 degrees. Who would have thought that in late April I'd experience low temps of 28 degrees at night? A 40* TQ with 2 oz. overstuff would have been right at its limits. So I would base the decision on versatility rather than concern about being too hot. Then again, I rarely camp in summer so I'm more concerned about spring, fall and winter than being too warm in summer (I have a 20* and 0* quilt set, 'cause those are the temps I do most of my camping). You might have other plans.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow/Woobie
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I agree with the guys that suggest 20 degrees as well as the guy who said get the wide. I have a 20 degree burrow, and while I'm primarily a hanger, there are situations in which I go to the ground (camping with my GF and our pups). After researching I found that many guys go to the ground with burrows, just getting them wide to allow for some extra movement and more coverage that isn't needed in hammocks. Also HG recently started adding loops as a standard to help attach the quilt to pads.

Like most have said, venting is much easier than needing warmer and not having it. Good luck. And as someone who was on the ground full time until I found this site in December, the sooner you switch the happier you will be

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast