Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    NeoAir LT / DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images

How much bottom insulation?

I'm going on my first hammock backpacking trip this weekend and trying to determine how much insulation I will need.

Temperatures are expecting lows about 70*. Will I need any bottom insulation at all? My options are a homemade down underquilt which may be overkill or a inflatable max-thermo insul-mat.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    depends on how cold of a sleeper you are. I have slept in uper sixties without any bottom insulation, and just used a poncho liner for a TQ
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'd take something just to be safe...the difference between 70F and calm vs 70F with a 10 mph wind is the difference between you sleeping or not. You may end up not using it, but I always plan for 10-15F lower than forecasted, and I couldn't be comfortable at 55F with no bottom insulation. YMMV.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxhack View Post
    I'm going on my first hammock backpacking trip this weekend and trying to determine how much insulation I will need.

Temperatures are expecting lows about 70*. Will I need any bottom insulation at all? My options are a homemade down underquilt which may be overkill or a inflatable max-thermo insul-mat.
    Take the under quilt.... properly hung and with the "windows open" you will be comfortable at the expected temp as well as be able to close the windows during the inevitable dips.... More importantly, you will be comfortable , worse case, if an unexpected front throw you a 20 * sinker.

Since you already have an under quilt......Hang out in luxury!

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Take the under quilt.... properly hung and with the "windows open" you will be comfortable at the expected temp as well as be able to close the windows during the inevitable dips.... More importantly, you will be comfortable , worse case, if an unexpected front throw you a 20 * sinker.

Since you already have an under quilt......Hang out in luxury!

Pan
    What he said!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    First question from me is where will your trip be here in KY? An inflatable pad is hammock is difficult to deal with. The way I used mine was to completely inflate it and then lay in my hammock and release some of the air out of it. With your UQ you could always leave an airgap on the ends to allow a little airflow, so you don't get to hot. I made me an UQ out of a military poncho and liner,it is a little heavy but I am not too much in to ultra light hiking just yet.
    Chris

Sleep wear? Bag, quilt or nothing? A 'nice' low of 70° or a strong breeze? Warm sleeper or cold? Are you adapted to the anticipated weather or will you face something you're not use to? Humidity? Precipitation? Will you be a well fed backpacker in good condition when you lie down or will you be trail worn and at a calorie and fluid deficit? Have you tested your system for the temps expected and allowed for a safety margin?

There are a lot of factors and variables in a sleep system. Each impacts the other and all should be considered together. Change one and the performance (and temp range) of the others will likely change.

Have fun...do a backyard experiment if it's not too late. And plan your sleep system with a generous, 'just-in-case' margin. Or an easy and quick bail out.

FB

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    NeoAir LT / DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Thanks for all the information and suggestions.

My trip is on the River to River Trail in Southern IL. Latest forecasts have crept up a degree or two and show 4-5 mph winds and 20-40% chance of T-storms.

I have used the pad once in the backyard and was fairly comfortable at about 65* with the 40* down sleeping bag I'll be using as a quilt. I'm leaning towards taking the pad since this is my first trip, I'm not familiar with the area, and that would give me better ground options.

If I were more comfortable with the quilt I would probably use it, but I need to do a little more work on suspension and don't have much time to play before I leave.

Thanks again
    --Kris

• + New Posts