Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First DIY Project Complete

This is my first thread on the forums, but I've been reading for a couple months. My husband and I are going on a 4 day trip to Havasupai, AZ in less than two weeks and we have decided to try hammocks for the first time. I made both of them mostly using XTrekker's youtube tutorials and I'm pretty proud. I ordered all my materials from diygearsupply.com. Just finished them today!
    photo 1.jpg His
    photo 2.jpg Hers
    If anyone has any insulation suggestions, I'm hoping our 32* down mummy bags will be enough for where we're going. Any input from those who have been? We don't have uq's or pads, but may get some cheap pads in case we have to go to ground for some reason.

Hammock
    DIY 11-1/2' Argon w/knotty
    Tarp
    WB SuperFLY
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ+ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    That is a great job on the hammocks. I commend you on all the work you put in on those hammocks!!! A bunch of work....and you don't have any hang time really.

If you can do this....you are going to do well on diy projects!!

Keep it up and welcome to the forum from Ohio!!!

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    VERY NICE!!! you will need some sort of bottom insulation, your sleeping bag loft will be crushed under your weight and wont insulate you. (and thats if you can even get inside a sleeping bag in the hammy) go down to lowes or home depot, and get you a roll of this stuff, its warm and is 1$ a foot. this should be enough for 2: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix...52?N=5yc1vZ19n

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Good looking hammocks!!!

You've done such a good job on the hammocks that modifying sleeping bags for under quilts might be an option for you, even given time constraints.

That leaves top quilts to figure out.

What are you doing for tarp(s)?
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Great job!
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    These look awesome!!!! You don't need top quilts yet, as you can use your sleeping bags as top quilts. Shug has a video demonstrating this... And here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFWs6UH7C74
    You do need tarps, and some bottom insulation. A pad will work, and you can take it to ground, but often your sides will get cold in the hammock. If you do want to use pads, you can make a pad extender. From seeing your work, I would think they would be a real easy job for you. Here's a link for one of those http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearSPE.html
    Before you take ANY of this on the trail, you definitely want to hang in the backyard and test out all your gear and see how it works for you. Again, great job and congratulations
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post

That leaves top quilts to figure out.

What are you doing for tarp(s)?
    The sleeping bags we have are 3/4 zip mummies which leaves a built in foot box, so we can open them up to use as top quilts.
    We just have our square tent camping tarps for now, can't replace everything at once. Will definitely have to play around in the yard with set-up as the hammocks are more asym with the tie outs.
    I've been looking into modding sleeping bags as underquilts, but I don't have a whole lot of time left, I think we may just get pads this time and perhaps I'll throw together a couple of SPEs or eno makes one http://www.rei.com/product/830279/en...ping-pad-wings so we'll have to see where we end up.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ARoberge View Post
    The sleeping bags we have are 3/4 zip mummies which leaves a built in foot box, so we can open them up to use as top quilts.
    We just have our square tent camping tarps for now, can't replace everything at once. Will definitely have to play around in the yard with set-up as the hammocks are more asym with the tie outs.
    I've been looking into modding sleeping bags as underquilts, but I don't have a whole lot of time left, I think we may just get pads this time and perhaps I'll throw together a couple of SPEs or eno makes one http://www.rei.com/product/830279/en...ping-pad-wings so we'll have to see where we end up.

I Think you have it all figured out, and you're right, you can't get it all done at once. I seriously think the SPE's would be a very easy thing for you to make. This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't invest much to get you by this trip. If you need extra tarps, blue poly tarps for 4 bucks from big lots can get you through. And as for pads, wally world sells the blue ccf for $8. I only say not to buy much for this trip because from looking at your hammocks, I think you have the the skills to make some great DIY gear as time goes on. Meaning many things you buy now will not have as much of a purpose as you dial in your gear more. You just need to get through this trip comfortably. Besides, this trip will tell you what you really want and don't as far as gear (big wintery tarps, or light as a feather asym ones)
    I can't wait to hear the backyard testing reports as well as the trip reports.
    Seriously though, looking at those hammocks vs. your post count, I would say you are off to a fantastic start!

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down, TQ and BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    --Post deleted--
    Last edited by Bearion; 05-01-2014 at 07:37. Reason: Posted in wrong thread.
    "Personally, I don't think there's intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?" --Bob Monkhouse

I can still do anything I could when I was 21. It just takes longer and hurts more now.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearion View Post
    I have to agree with others that you have created an amazingly fine stand: Simple, functional and stylish. I am sooo jealous.

If you ever decide to make just the head ends for sale that would work with readily available fence railing, I would be interested!

-B
    Lol, you may have your wires crossed. I think you meant for this comment to be in the thread about that space-aged, spiffy, portable hammock stand (I am also following both threads). Let me help you find your way back to that awesome contraption
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...style-portable

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast