WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks

Tarp recommendation needed for hammock and ground

I'd like to find a lightweight square/flat tarp that will provide minimal coverage over my Warbonnet Ridgerunner bridge hammock AND be able to be used for a solo ground shelter. For hammock coverage, I just want something to pitch high to provide fair weather coverage from light/vertical rain and the occasional falling leaf cluster, etc.. I'd like to keep the size and weight down, so I'm assuming I'll be pitching it with a diagonal ridgeline over the hammock. Consequently tie-outs to enable a diagonal pitch will be needed. Since I may also want to use it as a ground shelter, I don't want a ridgeline seam, but multiple tie-outs along each edge would be helpful to enable various pitches/configurations.

I'm really hoping to find an off-the-shelf offering which will fit the bill, since I'm not a DIY kinda guy. Any suggestions?

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Here's good deal on some Jacks are Better 11 X 10 tarps with rigging.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Depending on the size, pitching a rectangle tarp in a diagonal over a bridge hammock like the RR might get a bit tricky. Could be okay, but you might get some rain in even if it's light.

The JRB suggestion is solid. A few other considerations:
    Mountain Laurel Designs has a few flat tarps. Look like 10.5x10.5, 10x10 and 8x10 options: http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...products_id=81

BearPaw WD also has some solid products. I've ordered from them and would recommend. They have several flat tarp sizes and do custom work, so you could request just about any size you think would work:
    http://bearpawwd.com/tents_tarps/tarps.html
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    For versatility you are definitely on the right track looking for a square tarp. Square gives so many more options than asym or hex, and a better diamond pitch than a rectangle tarp.

This isn't considered lightweight but something on the order of this might work. I have had one of these for over 20 years and I've used it as a ground shelter (when I was had given up on tents but hadn't discovered hammocks yet), a cooking shelter, and a hammock tarp.
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___22220

OES makes a cat cut 10 x 10 tarp
    http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier....ular_tarps.php

DD hammocks also makes a square tarp with lots of tie outs. A little heavy but a good, solid product. http://www.ddhammocks.com/products/tarps

Also, a Kelty Noah 9, though not lightweight either, is a nice size.
    Last edited by Passinthru; 04-30-2014 at 09:41.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    If you NEED something without a ridge seam you'll be looking at a 5ft width max - I don't know of anyone making sil tarp's with larger roll width fabric than that (I don't think it's even available). All larger widths require sewing 2 panels together.

You may get by with a 5ft x 10ft tarp, pitched as a rectangle over the RR. It'd be very minimal coverage. You could possibly go shorter, maybe 9ft, if you don't mind the suspension triangle being exposed (I'm not exactly sure the concern with this, but I don't have a bridge hammock..yet)

There aren't many, if any, people offering tarp's this size any more, and most are designed for a gathered end hammock. If you're interested in something like that PM me and I may be able to help you out with a custom one.
    Last edited by Boston; 04-30-2014 at 08:11.

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    If you NEED something without a ridge seam you'll be looking at a 5ft width max - I don't know of anyone making sil tarp's with larger roll width fabric than that (I don't think it's even available). All larger widths require sewing 2 panels together.

You may get by with a 5ft x 10ft tarp, pitched as a rectangle over the RR. It'd be very minimal coverage. You could possibly go shorter, maybe 9ft, if you don't mind the suspension triangle being exposed
    I wasn't aware that sil tarps > 5 ft. width were made of combined panels. I guess what I'm referring to is the reinforced ridge seams that are found on many hammock tarps. I'm looking for something without the reinforced seams that can be used in various configurations as a ground shelter in addition to over my hammock.

I should have clarified, but I do not mind the suspension triangle of the Ridgerunner being exposed for this setup as long as the sleeping area is covered for light/vertical rain and falling debris. Consequently, I was also thinking that a 9ft. length would do, but I appreciate hearing it from someone else.

Some of the above recommendations suggest tarps which are not quite square - like an 8' x 10'. Will a tarp of these dims be able to be set up in as many configurations as one that is exactly square? Also, wouldn't the cat cuts on a tarp like the Kelty Noah limit the setup configurations?

Thanks, all, for the suggestions and advice so far.
    Last edited by 1csleptonkayak; 05-01-2014 at 17:15.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1csleptonkayak View Post
    Some of the above recommendations suggest tarps which are not quite square - like an 8' x 10'. Will a tarp of these dims be able to be set up in as many configurations as one that is exactly square?
    Yes. I have been using a Siltarp 2 for many years. If set up on the diagonal, it will be asymmetric, but so are many hammocks! It is tough to beat an 8x10 for the number of configurations it can be used if going to ground. I set it up using the 10-foot length on my shorter hammocks, and on the diagonal with my longer hammocks. With all the tie outs, including the center pull-up, the possibilities are endless.

Hammock
    60x126 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 8 1/2'
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, PLTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & MSH
    I've been satisfied with the Guide Gear 8.5 x 8.5. Used for minimal hammock coverage on the diagonal, and out has many tie outs for various ground pitches.

• + New Posts