Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Suspension
    Dutch, always.

10x5 1.1oz sil tarp, what's the point?

So I don't profess to knowing a lot... but back in 2011 when I first thought I'd start hammock camping I got a very nicely put together 10x5 silnylon tarp off of ebay from a guy who made them for a living... It occurs to me now that I will likely need an 11x10 warbonnet superfly for my particular needs...

I was just wondering, from the perspective of someone who will probably never use it, what's the point in the 10x5 sized tarps? Are they just for fair weather protection? I can't imagine it would do well in the wind and rain.

Can someone who is more experienced give me the rundown on that size?

I think I may just put in the sale area once I get a pic or two of it. Like I said it's very nice, but I think the size is all wrong for me.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    They can be effective, more so if you don't use down underquilts (due to needing to keep them dry). I know someone who uses the stock Hennessy tarp and has no desire or need for additional coverage.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Suspension
    Dutch, always.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    They can be effective, more so if you don't use down underquilts (due to needing to keep them dry). I know someone who uses the stock Hennessy tarp and has no desire or need for additional coverage.
    Yea, see... I'm not trying to bad mouth them, I just was wondering on their effectiveness vs a bigger tarp made of the same type of material. Is it just for ounce counters?

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Depending on how you pitch your tarp - close to the hammock, low to the ground (as low as you can get with a 10X5) - you can stay dry in certain weather. Note I said certain weather and not all weather. I've been in pretty bad blowing rain with my MacCat Standard (10.6 X 7) and remained dry. I was in bad weather with my Superfly and got wet. Plain and simple, the Superfly wasn't set up for correctly. Yes, the larger coverage helps but more important is knowing your setup and how to set it up.

Regarding ounce-counters, there is a group of people that want to have a lighter setup and a smaller tarp is part of that.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    I do not claim to have much in the way of experience but the main benefit is the minimal weight.

I just finished a DIY 5x10 tarp. With an 11+ foot diagonal it does cover my hammock quite well. In fair weather it is nothing more than roof so my sleep will not be interrupted by squirrel poop falling in my mouth. In foul weather you are better off with a bigger more protective tarp but you can stay pretty well protected as long as you are willing to stay in your hammock and the tarp is pitched low enough. You're not going to be doing any cooking under it but you can still sleep.

If I can get away with a smaller tarp I do. My preference when out camping/hiking is to be out in the open. Is spend my life inside. I don't want to be closed in and confined when out in the woods.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I would say that a 10 x 5 tarp would be close to the minimum for effective hammock coverage but it does have it's place. My 10 x 11 is more than I need most of the time and I am currently on a journey towards a much smaller tarp. A lightweight 10 x 5 in the 'for sale' forum would certainly get my attention.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    they can be piched aysm style to provide good coverage in summer. http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...products_id/81

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Suspension
    Dutch, always.
    I think maybe the biggest turn off for me is the color of it. It's pure white.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Fiber de Cuban
    Insulation
    DIY or Wild.Logics
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Spray paint some camo on it, pitch it low and asym. Bring it on hikes with a fair weather forecast.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I think those are mostly for pitching low to the ground and sleeping on the ground. Certainly, you can use one with a hammock. If you're staying away from windy ridges and gaps, then most of the time the wind is negligible in the forest. So, even in summer thunderstorms, rain will mostly come straight down and a small tarp like that offers more than adequate coverage. Like someone else said, its about knowing how to use it, which is more that just knowing how to pitch it.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts