Need tarp recommendation for a Spring to Fall backyard setup

I want to setup a jungle hammock in my backyard so I can quickly relax in a bug free and dry environment without having to constantly first hang everything. So I am seeking a tarp that is UV and mold resistant. I don't care about weight as I won't be lugging it anywhere. I do care about wind noise and don't want one of those ubiquitous plastic tarps that make so much noise when they flap in the breeze. I would prefer one that does not hold heat more than others.

If it's going to deteriorate quickly under constant use, then I guess I would be seeking an inexpensive one and just replace it when it's no longer effective.

Any suggestions?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    The Kelty Noah series is popular, although they don't seem to be stocked as much nowadays. Sportsman's Warehouse has the 12, which is generally regarded as the best size for hammocking right now:
    http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...2554/cat100831

A proper non-plasticky tarp (ie Walmart blue tarps). A bit heavier than silnylon options but effective and inexpensive.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I keep a Tractor Supply 13 X 10 tarp set up all the time in the back yard. It's been set up for a year and a half now and is still going strong. I just hose the bird poop off and it's good to go.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I bought a cotton tarp for exactly this purpose. It's too heavy to go hiking with, but I only use it for backyard hanging. UV-radiation is not so much of an issue for cotton (although it's not 100% cotton) as it is for synthetic materials.

You might have a look on eBay for backyard tarps made of cotton or a cotton mix. They are usually cheaper and very tough. This side of the pond, scouts have been using cotton / canvas tents for that reason for more than 100 years. If you prefer DIY, maybe fabric stores in the US sell outdoor canvas fabric? You can get that fabric here for upholstery of outdoor furniture, awnings and the likes.

I looked at this and it looks like a regular (but heavy duty) poly tarp. I use poly tarps on tents for camping when it's going to be really inclement and just live with the noise. I don't think it's possible to hang one that would be reasonably quiet. I suppose since I only have to walk 25 feet, if it got noisy I'd just go inside the house.
    I realize a poly would probably be the most durable excepting perhaps a good canvas one.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ply View Post
    I keep a Tractor Supply 13 X 10 tarp set up all the time in the back yard. It's been set up for a year and a half now and is still going strong. I just hose the bird poop off and it's good to go.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    The material is much heavier than the blue poly tarps and I have not had any problems with it being too noisy. I do keep it pitched taunt to avoid any flapping.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

• + New Posts