Envy-S
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Monster
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Customs
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Taking a dog camping

I have a one year old golden retriever and I would like to start taking him hammock camping with, but I am a little lost as to what to do with him at night cause I really don't want to have to drag his kennel with me. With tent camping you can just have dogs in the tent with you, but in a hammock where it would be warm I think his toe nails would do a number on my hammock and I feel between my weight and his we would have it surely maxed out. Does any one have any ideas other then tying him for the night?

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    What kind of weather are you facing and what tarp(s?) do you have? if you have a tarp that reaches to the ground and can do doors (like the Kelty Noah 12') then that alone might be enough. Others bring their dogs and I'm sure they will be able to provide you with more help than I however.

Hammock
    11ft DIY, Gathered End with bug net
    Tarp
    3mx3m with doors
    Insulation
    diy down uq and tq
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    i made a smaller diy hammock with whoopies etc that hangs under mine that my lab/whippet x sleeps in. has her own mini uq too she seems to love it.
    the whoopies on hers attach to the same points on my hammock as my whoopies. works the very best

https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...mageuser=37804

a bit like that

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    straps and whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by Meckie View Post
    I have a one year old golden retriever and I would like to start taking him hammock camping with, but I am a little lost as to what to do with him at night cause I really don't want to have to drag his kennel with me. With tent camping you can just have dogs in the tent with you, but in a hammock where it would be warm I think his toe nails would do a number on my hammock and I feel between my weight and his we would have it surely maxed out. Does any one have any ideas other then tying him for the night?

YES....i take my cat out in the woods, and as you can see by my pic... he joins me in my hammock. So... Im making his own hammock he can hang in. And if and when there"s too many holes... Ill just make a new one for him. The material is cheap enough.

Hammock
    Envy-S
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Monster
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Customs
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Thanks for all the advice I started making one for him tonight from some ripstop he had lying around. We'll have to see how it works.

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon383 View Post
    YES....i take my cat out in the woods, and as you can see by my pic... he joins me in my hammock. So... Im making his own hammock he can hang in. And if and when there"s too many holes... Ill just make a new one for him. The material is cheap enough.
    I need to meet you. My two cats go on walks with us. Sometimes a couple miles.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    When backpacking when cold, I've seen people take a nice sized closed cell foam pad for their dogs. They put them under their hammocks for the dogs. Will tie the lease to their hammock suspension, or a tree or to their own belts, depending on size of dog and how well they are trained. When hot, many dogs like the cool ground.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Ill be looking to do the same soon image.jpg

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    HG Blue Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Kammok Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by The_hanging_dog View Post
    i made a smaller diy hammock with whoopies etc that hangs under mine that my lab/whippet x sleeps in. has her own mini uq too she seems to love it.
    the whoopies on hers attach to the same points on my hammock as my whoopies. works the very best

https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...mageuser=37804

a bit like that
    I love this.

I agree with the other comment about using some CCF with a leash lashed somewhere. It will really depend on the dog and where you are camping. There is someone here whose dog sleeps in the hammock with him, and it's a big dog. You would obviously have to be careful about the dog's nails. I really like the idea of having a second hammock for the dog. I wish I could take my gimpy arthritic husky with me - I'm sure he'd love to snuggle up in his own hammock!

Hammock
    Clark NA, HH UL
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ, bag TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I take my 1.5 yr old German Shepherd with me whenever I set foot in the woods. When I'm spending the night, I'll bring either a piece of tyvek or closed cell foam depending on the temp, and he will lay on that underneath my hammock. I bring a length of webbing about 10' long that I made into a long leash that I clip to my head end suspension, but I really don't need it, as he isn't prone to wander anyway. Its more for peace of mind/ complying with leash rules. When I set up in the yard at home, this is actually where he would lay down and spend the day with me, so I ran with it. my tarp keeps him out of the weather in the rain, and he is immune to cold, so I don't worry too much other than the CCF pad in winter. He tends to nap in snowbanks at home. As a bonus I get a gentle face lick in the morning when its time to get up!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast