DIY Speer type
    Tarp
    OES spin deluxe
    Insulation
    Te-wa UQ
    Suspension
    Rings and straps

First Fall...

Yep... .first fall. As in I hit the ground.

I've been "hanging" for over a month. Did a couple of backpack trips with no problem, even went to a Hammock Hangout and no problem.

What I forgot to do, and some veterans at the hammock hangout warned me about this, is I forgot that slip knot behind the rings to secure the webbing.
    I have the rings suspension system, (thanks JustJeff)

I was in such a rush to hang my hammock in my backyard Friday night, that after setting it into place, I forgot to secure it and just hopped in. I slowly glided to the ground and then BUMP. I laughed at myself and hoped the neighbors didn't catch that. I knew exactaly what I did wrong, and I'm not blaming it on the strawberry margarita, I just forgot the slip knot.

I'm sure there are plenty stories out there about you guys falling out of the hammock. Care to share so I don't feel like a total dummy?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Welcome to the club! Yes, there are many of us. Like you, not using slipknot behind triangle rings. When making a hammock, not securing the suspension line correctly to the hammock. When using triglides for first time, not secured properly . . . and I could go on and on . . . I've learned to put a crash pad under hammock when doing something for first time. That's when I usually go to ground! Backup knot always!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've fallen more than once.

One time I had an underquilt on a homemade Speer-type. When I tried to get in, I grabbed the underquilt instead of the hammock and thumped right down on my back. Had to roll out all commando-style so I didn't lose ALL my ego!

Another time I used weak rope. I was pretty sure it was too weak when I put it on but of course I have to be positive. Was strong enough for me to get completely flat in the hammock, just so I'd land completely flat on my back with a good enough thump that my wife could make fun of me. Good times.

Another time I broke 550 cord. It was the real thing b/c I cut it off the parachute myself...but knots weaken the line and SNAP! - I was on my back. That one could have been a lot worse b/c I was on a concrete floor and using my hammock stand. No injuries, though.

I broke parachute cord another time but can't remember the details right now...already having senior moments at 33!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I broke parachute cord another time but can't remember the details right now...already having senior moments at 33!
    I seem to recall posts of you having paracord break while using it as a ridgeline. No idea what kind of hammock, though.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I was using a ridgeline when it broke (I think both times), but the ridgeline itself didn't break. I'm sure it increased the force on the support and helped it to break.

I did say that 550 cord is too stretchy to use as a ridgeline though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You won't be lonely in that club. In fact, welcome to being a 'true hanger'. It's a rite of passage most of us take. No blood, no foul.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I've fallen more than once.

One time I had an underquilt on a homemade Speer-type. When I tried to get in, I grabbed the underquilt instead of the hammock and thumped right down on my back. Had to roll out all commando-style so I didn't lose ALL my ego!
    One of the first times I used the Pea Pod with the Speer 8.5. Rather than grabbing the front and back edge of the hammock, I grabbed the edge of the Pea Pod in the dark. Went to sit down and landed right on my back. The hammock was fairly low, thank goodness. I still had a sore spot on my ribs for quite a few days. I'm glad it was in my backyard with no rocks.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.1
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps and 'biners
    Images
    I didn't hit the ground, but....

We were at Stone Door trail in TN, and a storm was brewing. I hung low to the ground because I was concerned about the wind, and my tarp is horribly undersized. Since I was so low to the ground, my hammock was strung up tightly. It was dark and raining when I got in the hammock, and I started to struggle with my pad. It all happened so fast. FLIP!. I was confused for a moment. I knew I flipped, but wasn't sure why I hadn't hit the ground yet. I also wasn't sure which way was up. I laid there, face down, half way in the hammock, half way in the bug net, afraid to move, and too proud to call for help. I felt around with my right hand trying to orient myself, and after a minute or so flipped myself back over.

The ground dwellers I was with still laugh at me (I had to tell them the next morning...)
    One day I'll come up with a clever sig.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

when you forget the slip knot behind the rings

I call that a slide. and because it's not fast you've got time to feel stupid on the way down-at least I did. I got up and first thought was 'my precious blackbird!'
    Now a real fall it like Jeff described or when you have catastrophic failure of a component...thank God haven't been there yet.
    I think Neo has experienced this?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Now a real fall it like Jeff described or when you have catastrophic failure of a component...thank God haven't been there yet.
    @/`

Been there. Done that. Got the T-shirt, hat and working on the totebag.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast