DIY PoorBird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/MSH/Whoopie

DIY WBBB Integrated Bugnet Question

Is there a tutorial that can guide me through the process of sewing on my zippers and netting to my diy wbbb? I'm confused on how it relates to the channeled ends and the ridgeline. Is the bugnet somehow sewed to the channels?

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    The bug net is simply sewn to the 2 long edges, same for the zipper. It's not integrated into the channel. Sew the channel before you sew the bug net on. When you whip the end's and larks head your suspension you'll close up the hole at the top.

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Your bugnet should be the length on the hammock not including the material needed to make the channels. I was confused the first couple of times I did it, too.

Now the piece on sewn to the zipper (i.e., the rectangular piece on the left hand side when laying the hammock) is part of the end channels, so is the footbox/shelf piece.

I sewed my blackbird clone in the following order:

1. Footbox/shelf to hammock
    2. Zipper to hammock
    3. Side piece to zipper
    4. End channels
    5. Bugnet (you can start with either side, it doesn't matter)

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,
    Dave-O

Can you show your steps with pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-O View Post
    Your bugnet should be the length on the hammock not including the material needed to make the channels. I was confused the first couple of times I did it, too.

Now the piece on sewn to the zipper (i.e., the rectangular piece on the left hand side when laying the hammock) is part of the end channels, so is the footbox/shelf piece.

2. Zipper to hammock
    3. Side piece to zipper
    4. End channels

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,
    Dave-O

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I haven't done a a WBBB clone, but I have done a hennessey clone. Other than the footbox and shelf it can't be much different. Check out headchange4u's hennessey clone guide for the bugnet: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ock-A-Tutorial

His is double zipper, but I made mine permanent by sewing the net to hammock on one side, and the zipper on the other.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-O View Post

2. Zipper to hammock
    3. Side piece to zipper
    4. End channels
    This solution won't work for a bb xlc clone. For this purpose one needs a somewhat other solution where also the left side panel and the fb/shelf panel is not integrated in the whipping. But perhaps one zipper side. Has someone an idea how to make the edge binding for a xlc clone? I have no idea what I should do with the panel ends. Only the bugnet solution seems to be clear.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    The bug net is simply sewn to the 2 long edges, same for the zipper. It's not integrated into the channel. Sew the channel before you sew the bug net on. When you whip the end's and larks head your suspension you'll close up the hole at the top.
    So the panels (including fb) of the bb xlc consist of no-see-um mesh (= bugnet). Then this is certainly the solution. But somehow I must gather the bugnet (= bugnet + panel bugnet + shelf) with these 2 long edges which have a loop at each end (called edge binding). And there is a plastic toggle at each end which connects the edge binding loop (which is integrated in the suspension) with the bugnet and the zipper.

Hammock
    DIY: Arial bridge, WBBB XLC clone
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    I started a WIP thread for mine a LONG time ago, and never finished documenting it. I've been using the hammock for months now. I keep telling myself that one day I'll snap some more photos, and give it some closure.

Maybe it will help you out.

In the XLC, the zipper is not sewn to the part of the hammock body that makes up the whipped end. However, when I made my clone, I left the tail ends of the zipper chain long enough to be inside the final whipping.

I used the method xtrekker described in his videos how to attach the zipper using triangles.
    Last edited by shef; 03-05-2015 at 22:41.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shef View Post
    I started a WIP thread for mine a LONG time ago, and never finished documenting it. I've been using the hammock for months now. I keep telling myself that one day I'll snap some more photos, and give it some closure.

Maybe it will help you out.

In the XLC, the zipper is not sewn to the part of the hammock body that makes up the whipped end. However, when I made my clone, I left the tail ends of the zipper chain long enough to be inside the final whipping.

I used the method xtrekker described in his videos how to attach the zipper using triangles.
    No feedback in your WIP-thread is also an answer. In Germany we say to something of the kind "The Silence in the woods". I didn't know your thread. Hence I say thank your for your link. Perhaps I will push your thread up when I have understood what you did. It looks like that you did a very nice job.

When I tried to figure out the fb dimension of the bb I didn't ask. It was clear to me that I won't get any answer. But look at one of my last posts in this WBBB plans thread, I think I worked it out and I described also how I did it.

I thought that I will use the Xtrekker method too. Therefore I have already a question. Did you sew the hammock sides together at the whipping? Btw.: I find the way Xtrekker made the whipping and his suspension highly interesting. I find his method a bit better than the WW-method. It's almost the same but the Xtrekker method is easier and I find it also nicer when the suspension (which can be a continuous loop only) comes out of the middle of the whipping donuts.

• + New Posts