Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    A cheap blue one
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag ;)
    Suspension
    eno atlas straps
    I do. when I hang my tarp over my hammock it nearly reaches the ground so I stand underneath the tarp and change

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    My wife had these same concerns at first when I got her in a hammock. So she uses a winter tarp with doors made of black Sil all year round for her hammock trips. Mostly their car camping as she has really only been on the trail once and we did small mileage so weight wasent all that big of a deal. I'll have to let her read through this thread as encouragement to get out with me more.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    My Modded TW hammock
    Tarp
    Alpkit
    Insulation
    UK custom 75% UQ.
    Suspension
    Erm. . Custom.
    All our perspectives will be different. Not just being a woman but also your own preferences and... How your body perspires, what you prefer to wear etc.

So, from my perspective, I don't wear any, ahem, tight undergament. That is to say, my base layer (right next to my skin) is always only a technical airflow type of shirt. On top of that I will usually pick a further base layer ( one size up) of merino or meco fabric. So two base layers (one of which can always be taken off and washed). One allows air flow, is close-ish fitting and the other insulates but does not cling to my body so not holding too much sweat. To me, sweat is key. If you keep that under control then you have solved a few possible problems with excessive odour and, getting cold.

Lower undergaments and socks changed every day. Lightweight enough to wash-one-wear-one as they can dry easily.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    For kayak River trips I used to buy men's bathing shorts cos they came with built-in nylon underwear.

Hammock
    Currently eno single
    Tarp
    Silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle soon;)
    Images
    Thank you for this my wife is getting her first hammock. She doesn't know it yet 😄 jut she hopped in mine and loved it. And she started asking me about these questions as now I had answers!!!!

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!

Lady hammockers thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytongret View Post
    Thank you for this my wife is getting her first hammock. She doesn't know it yet 😄 jut she hopped in mine and loved it. And she started asking me about these questions as now I had answers!!!!
    That's wonderful!! If she has any others, feel free to ask them here so everyone can benefit.
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Anyone (hey, from men too!) have any other safety ideas? Had a bad experience and now I want to be way more prepared.

I was hiking solo the other day, going to find a nice spot by the river and chill in my hammock for a bit, but ended up having the scariest experience I've ever had on the trail! I intentionally stalled starting on the trail because there was a guy heading in close to me and I wanted to hike alone. He seemed friendly, acknowledged me, was walking his dog and had a wooden hiking staff, I didn't have any concerns about him, just wanted to hike alone.

So, I was still prob a quarter mile from the trail head, with a clear line of site, watched the guy with the dog go in and as he did another guy walked out. I didn't think anything of it, but 5 or so min later when I got to the trail head and started in, the guy who had just come off the trail was still hovering there. He gave me a weird expressionless look, looked right at me but didn't really acknowledge me. Then he followed me onto the trail, was like 5 steps behind me, and this is a dark trail, with 60 foot drop offs on one side. I stopped, turned around and gave him a "you're freakin me out look" but that didn't seem to register with him so I did it again and he kept coming. So I stopped and acted like I was just looking at the river for a bit and he passed me.

I seriously went against my gut feeling to not hike that trail then. But I let him get a ways ahead and headed in. I could still see him. Then he veered off onto a side trail that doesn't go anywhere other than back onto the main trail. I got more afraid at this point, went another 30 steps or so, then decided I needed to get out of there, now! I hadn't gotten to the point where that side trail meets up again with the main trail, and as I'm heading out I see him coming towards me again. It was a deer in the headlights moment. He looked right at me and gave me that same almost blank look and as I was about 10 feet from him he started digging around in his pocket. Seemed like he was trying to rattle me. I passed him without incident and seriously double timed it back out, sure enough he popped out 5 min after me.

At this point I was within ears shot of people, near some athletic fields and a track, so I was relieved but didn't want him to follow me home, so I sat by the track. And now that guy started walking the track. He made two full laps before leaving. I watched him walk a few hundred feet, cross the bridge over the river, then I couldn't see anymore.

So, I figured it was safe and headed home, but sure enough, as soon as I crossed the bridge, he popped out 10 feet from me on a trail along the other side of the river! Could this all be a coincidence?! There were other people around at this point. I was prob 75 feet from a road, so I wasn't fearing for my life like before, but I don't think I've ever been that scared! I wish I would have hiked in with the guy with the dog!

Sorry that was so long winded. Here's one good tip that I've learned (well, ONE, LISTEN TO YOUR GUT!) and also carry your knife backwards with the dull end pressed right against your wrist, and the sharp side out. If someone tries to grab you, they'll probably grab your wrists. If you do that you can slice their hand and then go for the neck or groin! That's a good tip for dark streets and parking lots too.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Scary! You could have started blowing your whistle--this guy would not like the attention it brought. Down at the track, could have called 911. Doesn't hurt to call and let them know you are being followed. I carry. You may not have that option in MA.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Rainfly 70D
    Sounds like he was trying to scare you if nothing else! Not sure about MA laws but taser, or bear spray would be smart. Or better yet as the old saying goes "there's safety in numbers".

Glad you're safe!
    Adahy

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    OMG glad you're safe! No harm calling 911 loudly so he can hear you.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast