The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!
    Quote Originally Posted by sjlawrence View Post
    Just wondering what backpack my fellow lady hikers use. For day hikes I currently use a Deuter ACT Trail 28 SL. I just sold my Viva 65. I'm trying out a Deuter ACT Zero 45+15 SL. It rides great but I have 2 major issues with it...1. Only 1 small hipbelt pocket & 2. I can't get the water bottles out of the side pockets while the pack is on. Any suggestions for a different pack that doesn't weigh 5+ pounds?

(My current base weight without a pack or consumables is 16 pounds. I'm working on getting that down to approximately 12-13 pounds without pack.)
    Looking at the circuit for myself as well. I currently key have an osprey 45l. I like it but it's very heavy for it's size and doesn't have any hip pockets. I really like my husband and son's circuits. They even make a purple grid one.
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    Blackbird,HH Hyperlite, Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 degree set
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The Circuit is a great pack, but you really really need a base weight under 20 pounds (including pack,) closer to 15 is much better. I've carried up to 30 pounds total in this pack, but it stops being comfortable after about 25. That doesn't leave much room for food and water weight if your base pack isn't truly in the lightweight range.

Hi I am new to hammocks and was wondering how many other women were into it? Any in western pa and northern panhandle wv? Once I get all my gear I would love to try some group camping and to make new friends!

Hammock
    Envy S
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Not from western pa but sitting here in south central pa (AKA Amish country) Welcome! Keep an eye on the sub forum Hangouts-Campouts-and-Trip-Planning. Organized hangs are great to make new friends and check out all the different gear. Look out for the postings for Spring MAHHA. It is held at Pine Grove State Park (north of Gettysburg Pa) Or if you are up for some road trips there are plenty to choose from in NC,SC,NJ,FL,VA and the list goes on. Again welcome and have fun in your new adventure,or should I say addiction.
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    More and more women are getting into hammocking, but men are still the majority involved in the camping method. That hasn't stopped me from going to group hangs. Lack of bathrooms are what keeps a lot of women away.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    Just discovered this thread-- love hearing the voices of all theses hammocking women out there!

Re. changing-- When I'm camping around guys I don't know well, I change when I go off to the bushes to go to the bathroom. On the PCT, I'd just step behind my hammock and the guys were very respectful about not looking-- the trail community is remarkable that way.

Re. personal safety-- I believe that hammocks provide an extra level of safety for the solo backpacker because they allow us to camp out of sight where no one would bother us, since we aren't restricted to level ground. I have a camo tarp and hammock for this reason, and also because if someone does see my hammock, I'd rather they assume its some guy's. After backpacking for many miles, I now feel much safer in the woods, but having the ability to stealth camp when I was first gaining confidence to go solo was a game changer for me.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by joanwest View Post
    Re. personal safety-- I believe that hammocks provide an extra level of safety for the solo backpacker because they allow us to camp out of sight where no one would bother us, since we aren't restricted to level ground. I have a camo tarp and hammock for this reason, and also because if someone does see my hammock, I'd rather they assume its some guy's. After backpacking for many miles, I now feel much safer in the woods, but having the ability to stealth camp when I was first gaining confidence to go solo was a game changer for me.
    I've been solo camping for 20 years and this past two years I have felt that extra level of freedom because of reasons you've stated above. My gear is all neutral stealth colours now. My first UQ is on it way as I write. Who'da thought I'd ever go camo??? But yeah, I don't need anyone approaching me. There are some whose boundaries disappear once they know it's a woman, and having a hammock seems to add to that in a way (extra curiosity). Plus the stealth colours, and the ability to hang in areas I could only dream with a tent, really add to that being a part of nature feeling, in a way my bright yellow tent did not.

Welcome to the thread!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Hi! I just saw this thread and am amused since I was the only female to show up solo at the AL Fall group hang and just met a fellow forum member from another state for an overnight. I'm a middle aged, need to get out more than I do, lady without friends that can backpack with me right now. If I didn't go with strangers that I met on here, I'd never learn anything and I'd never get out.

I haven't had any trouble quietly sneaking off to my spot, my tarp pitched low, while others were busy elsewhere, to take care of my private business. Also, it does get pretty dark when the sun goes down, and indirect, dim light inside my hammock provides enough illumination to see what I need while I stand next to it but barely more than shadows for anyone else, especially if placed between me and the public, not behind me.

One of the things I like about my hammock & tarp, is that I don't feel so 'cut off' from the outside and if I get nervous about sounds, I can quickly flash my light or peek under the tarp without making obnoxious zipper sounds. It seems counterintuitive, but I feel safer because I don't feel trapped, sitting in a bubble without knowledge of the threat, like I would be in a tent.

I'd love to meet more female hangers, or help more wives get interested in getting involved. I'd even go along with families with kids. My girls grew up and now that they're in college in different states, don't hike or camp with me. They do love their ENOs, though, just in a different way, lol.

Charlotte

Images
    Kudos to the mods for making this a sticky.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sagewind View Post
    Hi I am new to hammocks and was wondering how many other women were into it? Any in western pa and northern panhandle wv? Once I get all my gear I would love to try some group camping and to make new friends!
    I live in Preston Co, WV just below Fayette Co, PA and garrett Co, MD. Like to meet other women hangers too, although I certainly don't mind backpacking/camping with the guys.

• + New Posts
  • Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast