DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    At night in bad weather a heavy duty zip lock bag for me.
    That's a good idea too.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    DIY purple HyperD
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great Thread! Lots of good info. Thank you for starting it.

If you don't experiment, you don't learn!

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!
    I have the go girl too, but if you wait to long it can overflow if your not careful. 😳
    I've found that squatting can often be simpler. And less dangerous. A quick tip. Squatting too low can construct the flow, so try to squat a little higher and it won't go all over as much. But not so much that you splash all over you shoes. Lol
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    Switchback, DD frontline, or speer
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images
    My wife tells me that squatting with one's back against a tree helps hold one up, and keeps things "tidy"
    Wherever you are.....there you are

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Yes! Just pick one with smooth bark! Same as sitting on a log. Smooth bark is the secret.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Blackbird,HH Hyperlite, Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 degree set
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This thread cracks me up. Maybe we liberal northwest girls do it differently, but I never worry about who can see me when I change in the back country. I might call out "don't look if you don't want to see" first in case it makes *them* uncomfortable, but I couldn't care less if other campers see my back naked.

I was hoping this thread would have more practical woman-specific information, like what works for staying warm, hammocks especially suited to women, keeping the pack weight light, etc...

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Playapixie View Post
    I was hoping this thread would have more practical woman-specific information, like what works for staying warm, hammocks especially suited to women, keeping the pack weight light, etc...
    I fail to see how staying warm or light pack weight is female specific or how a hammock would be specially designed for a woman; would you mind expanding on those?

Hammock
    Blackbird,HH Hyperlite, Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 degree set
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Insaniac99 View Post
    I fail to see how staying warm or light pack weight is female specific or how a hammock would be specially designed for a woman; would you mind expanding on those?
    Sure: ladies are often smaller, may sleep cooler, distribute our fat weight differently on our bodies, etc. We may need less length in hammocks or quilts, and maybe even might find different-shaped hammocks preferable vs men (many of whom outweigh me by a hundred pounds.) All reasons why many gear makers produce woman-specific gear for us ladies (sleeping bags, for example, with more room in the hips and loft in different areas where we lose more heat.) We, being (generally) less muscular and more slightly-built than our men-friends also may have a greater interest in keeping our packs light; a few extra ounces on our backs is a greater percentage of packed-weight to body-weight for us.

Oh, and in response to the woman who asked about periods in the woods: double zip-lock baggie with some baking soda inside. Store inside a non-see-through ditty bag and hang it with your food at night (mark it so it's clearly not something your companions will accidentally open when looking for snacks.) I've hiked in grizzly country with this method no problem. You can also use a diva cup or instead cup, but I find that difficult to manage in terms of hygiene/keeping the cup clean, so prefer tampons with the method above.
    Last edited by Playapixie; 05-15-2014 at 01:12.

Hammock
    DD Camping
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    TAR Prolite 3/4
    Suspension
    S, DC, MSH, W, DR
    This thread cracks me up. Maybe we liberal northwest girls do it differently, but I never worry about who can see me when I change in the back country. I might call out "don't look if you don't want to see" first in case it makes *them* uncomfortable, but I couldn't care less if other campers see my back naked.

While I, too, don't care if I'm seen or not, I think for some ladies, this IS an issue, and one that is specific for hammock camping at that. So I'm glad it gets addressed.

A lot of the woman-specific issues aren't so hammock-specific. Earlier in this thread there's a 'stern warning' from a moderator that it should stay hammock specific, or else the thread gets moved to the member-only area, where, most likely, aspiring female hammock campers will never see it. I agree it would be nice to chat about some of the more generic issues, and it would be nice to do it here. After all, this forum is my favorite hangout when it comes to talking about being outdoors. But the 'generic talk goes into the member forums' policy is quite bit older than this thread, so I guess we shouldn't complain too much
    I think no-one would stop us if we started a ladies' thread in the member section, and there's always the female section of some big AT forum that has tons of info too.
    Still getting the hang of it

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!

My best friend in from Oregon and now is stuck in New England. There's a lot that cracks her up about us.

I would love to talk about insulation. I had to have my TQ custom made from HG because I'm only 5'2" and the extra long normal wasn't going to work. I got the longer foot box too. It's perfect for me now. I'm thinking about getting a smaller UQ though. Right now I have the 0* incubator and it's loner than I am. When it's cold I can't keep all that down warm so I get cold spots. (I don't generate much heat on my own) I'm considering getting a Phincubator, half way between a 3/4 and full.

As far as periods, I agree with the baking soda bag. Works great for me too.
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast