Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    I have more of a mentality question...

I keep reading posts by men stating that they have to convince their girlfriends or wives to even consider hammocking. I never quite got that.

Did you have to be "convinced"? What was your perception of hanging before you tried?

Personally, as soon as I saw it, I just thought it made sense.
    I don't know, but some women just don't like camping at all and may not feel safe in the hammock. I got in to hammocking and still haven't convinced my husband to come with me. I think I 'm getting closer though.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!
    I didn't take much convincing. I just waited until Nighthauk fixed all the bugs in his system and took off from there.
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    I don't know, but some women just don't like camping at all and may not feel safe in the hammock. I got in to hammocking and still haven't convinced my husband to come with me. I think I 'm getting closer though.
    This is true, but some of the the women they're talking about seem to like camping, so it doesn't seem to be as simple as that.

Good luck with our husband! Ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by lilprincess View Post
    I didn't take much convincing. I just waited until Nighthauk fixed all the bugs in his system and took off from there.
    That's certainly one way to do it. Ha ha!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    I have more of a mentality question...

I keep reading posts by men stating that they have to convince their girlfriends or wives to even consider hammocking. I never quite got that.

Did you have to be "convinced"? What was your perception of hanging before you tried?

Personally, as soon as I saw it, I just thought it made sense.
    My perception was exactly what it turned out to be - the greatest way on earth for me to be able to get back out into the backcountry. I hadn't interior camped for 35 years because there was just no way I could sleep on the ground. I was exploring the WhiteBlaze site when I ran into the hammocking section...game over!!

I will tell you that there is no way I could ever be 'convinced' to sleep any other way!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    My housemate was convinced she couldn't sleep in a hammock so I'd spend many a warm afternoon gentle rocking the hammock as she "napped" - apparently different from sleeping. Then she thought she'd be claustrophobic. But when given a choice between an open gathered end hammock or the Ridge Runner with its full coverage bug net, she chose the Ridge Runner and loved it.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    My perception was exactly what it turned out to be - the greatest way on earth for me to be able to get back out into the backcountry. I hadn't interior camped for 35 years because there was just no way I could sleep on the ground. I was exploring the WhiteBlaze site when I ran into the hammocking section...game over!!

I will tell you that there is no way I could ever be 'convinced' to sleep any other way!
    I know what you mean, Old Boot (I feel so strange calling you that!). My coccyx is currently dislocated and the hammock is the only place I can lay down in and not be in pain. So I can easily imagine having other issues that are more chronic and discovering hanging!

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    My housemate was convinced she couldn't sleep in a hammock so I'd spend many a warm afternoon gentle rocking the hammock as she "napped" - apparently different from sleeping. Then she thought she'd be claustrophobic. But when given a choice between an open gathered end hammock or the Ridge Runner with its full coverage bug net, she chose the Ridge Runner and loved it.
    Thanks for this designer. It's certainly one person's experience, as I've read of men here on this thread worried they'd be claustrophobic, as well.

I guess my point in asking was in wanting to hear women's perspectives from their own mouths, as in, do they need to be convinced, or just wanting more information before they dive in? And since we have this handy thread here....

There is a product called the "undress". It is a garment that you can change "IN". Kinda convenient on the beach too.

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    BCUSA multicam
    Insulation
    beefed up PLUQ
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Hi, ladies! I'm pretty new to this whole thing, but i've been reading the forums a lot. I would like to contribute to the kilt portion of the discussion- I love my utilikilt. I've had it for about 10 years and it's become an indispensable part of my summer festing and camping kit for all the reasons mentioned previously. I've even been known to lay it open over my sleeping bag at night for a little more insulation. I'm curious to try the nalgene bottle thing, or if i'm brave enough, the gatorade bottle thing... I've been using a travelmate, but it's not as errorproof as I'd like. At all. :/ so i'm looking into the other suggestions on here, too. Thanks for being a great resource!
    Half biker chick, half nature girl, all crazy.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Just saw this on the Gossamer Gear Newsletter and thought I'd pass the info. along.

http://gossamergear.com/feminine-hyg...eid=72cf4a1611
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    DIY Double layer Hammock
    Images
    Living Minnesota! Great Land, lousy politics. But hey, my family is here so......

• + New Posts
  • Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast