DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

clark tx-250 with vertex tarp

I got to field test my tx-250 last weekend on a Linville gorge, NC 22 mile loop hike. Overall I like it a lot. I modified he suspension to use 15 foot tree straps, dutch buckles and chain links in the end channels. The modified suspension worked great. I never thought I would use the pockets underneath but they are extremely handy for storing your clothes up off the ground. I would say one pocket is enough for me but I ended up using two to spread out the "lump". I like the warmer micro environment the weather shield gives. I really like the self stowing pocket. Overall I wouldn't hesitate to buy again, especially at the once in a lifetime sale price.

I think I may have overdone it with the tarp. The vertex is great but its so big that its hard to find a clear place to put it up. One night I went without out it for that reason. It was clear that night and there were too many saplings and scrubby bushes in the way. Sooooo.....

Question: What non-stock ultralight tarp do you use with the tx-250 that you like/recommend that is big enough to cover in a hard rain but small enough to be "nimble". I would call the vertex a very capable lumbering giant that is great for established campsites and not so great for small trail campsites.

Things I would change are: The hammock is a little heavy and bulky. Removing the stock ropes removed a good bit of the bulk. It would be nice if you could leave the weather shield and some of the zippers at home in good weather. I think the hammock could be home modified to have this feature but I don't think it would be worth the trouble.
    Last edited by litetrek; 05-03-2014 at 09:33.

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    I got a Nx 250 when they were on sale too, the comfort level of this hammock is outstanding. The NX is for cool/cold weather, I just wish I would have gotten a TX 250 w/o the weathershield while they were on sale for summer use. I like my minimalist reg Blackbird for warm weather, and its super light, but its just not quite as comfortable as my clark.

The vertex tarp is big, but I like it for cooking in the rain. If its not windy but raining, I set it up in porch mode with one side lower than the other so the rain pours off to one side. Its nice to sit and cook and eat while watching the rain coming down.

Here is what I mean...

Last edited by outdoorsguy; 05-03-2014 at 10:55.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    I agree that the vertex is great if you have room to put it up. On my recent trip I shared the under tarp space with a bush and a small tree one night and had no room at all to put it up the next night.

I like it, but I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for a smaller, lighter tarp that will keep you dry when you're trying to cut grams and still have adequate coverage. I've been thinking about a cuben fiber in a diamond shape or similar.
    Last edited by litetrek; 05-03-2014 at 15:03.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Apparently a non-interesting topic. Surely someone must use a non-stock tarp with their clark....Anybody?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I use a JRB 10 x 11 tarp which is pretty close in size to the Vertex. I am giving serious thought to going with a smaller tarp for a number of reasons.
    1. As a hammock cover it is larger than I need almost all the time.
    2. I often have to hang the hammock some distance from the eating/cooking/relaxing area so a large 'porch' isn't necessary.
    I just need sleeping protection at the hammock site.
    3. It takes 6 stakes to get a good, tight pitch.

So - I am thinking of getting a smaller 'hammock tarp' and using the large tarp for a dining tarp.
    I have used an 8' x 8' square in a diamond configuration (just 2 stakes ) but it leaves a little too much exposure at the ends.
    I think a 10 x 10 would work well and could be pitched in a variety of ways.
    Here's what is on my short list: Warbonnet Edge (hex), Clark Standard (rectangle), 10 x 10 square (as yet manufacturer undetermined)
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Apparently a non-interesting topic. Surely someone must use a non-stock tarp with their clark....Anybody?
    I only have 5 nights in my NX-250 so what do I know? Two of the nights it rained (not uncommon in the Pacific Northwet) and one night at 4900' above sea level I was essentially in the clouds and the foggy mist was blowing sideways. Given the 8' length of the NX-250 I was thankful for the 10' x 10.5'Vertex tarp. One of the rainy nights and the foggy night I tied one corner of my tarp off to bushes; once in porch mode using the bush instead of a trekking pole. I think a tapered XL tarp would work OK if I had a more discerning eye for hang sites and a little more experience. In the meantime I'll make do with the extra bulk and ounces, guying out from a small stone cinched up in the tarp to shorten it if I need to.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Thanks for the comments folks....all great info! Anybody else? I got the vertex because it is almost a 10 x10 and with a little sewing adding tie outs and pullouts it could double as a very versatile ground tarp at an ultralight weight. I just found it difficult to find clear spaces big enough to pitch it. I've only got about 4 nights in it and none with rain so maybe I'll feel differently about it after a night in a good blowing wind and rain which is the other reason I opted for a big tarp.

Hammock
    TX-150, Roo, HB SBBF
    Tarp
    Vertex, ShangriLa
    Insulation
    Z-liner, WL SS UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. buckle
    I use the AHE Shangri-la tarp which is very minimal. Kept the rain off this weekend no problem.
    Discretion is the better of valor

I have the vertex, and so far haven't had any issues with space. I also have the warbonnet superfly, but it uses up space as well. Then I have a cuban tarp from hammock gear, the standard with doors, super light weight, easy to set up and takes up much less space. I am using it more than the others. In tight spaces, I have had a bit of success by putting the tarp ridge line as high as I can reach to reduce the width at ground a bit. Remember that the poles on the clark will rub the sides of the tarp if pitched too close at the bottom.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    [QUOTE=litetrek;1253065 I just found it difficult to find clear spaces big enough to pitch it. I've only got about 4 nights in it and none with rain so maybe I'll feel differently about it after a night in a good blowing wind and rain which is the other reason I opted for a big tarp.[/QUOTE]

Per another Clark thread here, I have advocated for smaller tarps and smarter pitches, which work fine for sleep. The taste here and in the market, is for larger tarps. So, Clark no longer makes a small tailored rain fly, one which pitched -- literally -- close to the foot end of the gathered end hammock. It is all I need for a my NX250 w Cascades --vertical -- rainfall. Clark even eliminated the slight Shangri-La like taper of the Vertex fly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast