DIY Tablecloth gathered end. 126x60
    Tarp
    DIY Assym SilNylon
    Insulation
    Down & synth
    Suspension
    Straps & whoopies

DIY v. Manufactured v. Tablecloth Hammocks

Given how easy sewing the ends of a nylon tablecloth is why would one bother sewing seams on ripstop/parachute nylon, or spend $$$ on manufactured hammocks? (other than for weight wienie characteristics)
    Transportation for Hiram Farm

Two Wheels Good, Four Wheels Bad

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Apis View Post
    Given how easy sewing the ends of a nylon tablecloth is why would one bother sewing seams on ripstop/parachute nylon, or spend $$$ on manufactured hammocks? (other than for weight wienie characteristics)
    I can't speak to the ripstop/parachute nylon aspect but... Sewing machines cost money, acquiring the skill to sew takes time, and many folks like me aren't willing to invest in either one.

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It depends what your goal of the hammock is and the ability and amount of free time of the person in question. Many people don't have a sewing machine (or any experience with using one) or have jobs that limit their free time such that it is worth it to pay someone else to do it (like plumbing, yard work, growing food, computer repairs, pretty much anything else in the service industry)

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow/Woobie
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I enjoy back packing. Im not a gram weenie, not even close, but I like my pack to be reasonably light so I can carry my gear and hike long distances. So lighter weight is better. I'm not skilled in sewing nor do I have the equipment. The time I spend learning to do the things necessary to sew a hammock is time I could be working. Based on my hourly making a hammock would cost me likely 10x what a high end hammock costs. Not to mention I like things like foot boxes, integrated bug nets, removable top covers, storage shelves, etc that I couldn't possible learn to make for myself in a reasonable time period. Pretty easy decision for me.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Manufacturing my own hammocks has been very fulfilling. Less cost and there's just something about laying in a hammock I made.

Having said that, I'd echo what others have indicated. Sewing is not accessible/desirable for all. Hammock should be .

Also, many hammocks out there offer features that become increasingly difficult for DIY, including things like the knotty mod, bug nets and more. After going through sewing my own ripstop hammocks, I couldn't even imagine what it would take to pump out a quality Warbonnet BB knockoff.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    DIYing can be fun. But by the time you finish a hammock that has some of the features the high-end manufactured hammocks have, it's very likely you have spent a lot of money and a lot of time, and the result probably won't be free of little errors. For me, a table cloth hammock would only work for indoors, as I pretty much always use a mosquito net outdoors, and I prefer integrated netting. Weight is important to me, too. I like features like the WB shelf, but I don't want to have it weigh more than absolutely necessary.

And then there are the skills... And the additional equipment you need to DIY (sewing machine, fabric, thread, zipper, netting, ...). And the space to set it up and store it.

With regards to ripstop: I found that I actually prefer the slight stretchyness of ripstop over the much firmer lay of polyester. I did a couple of ripstop hammock prototypes without sewing anything. Also, ripstop is usually lighter than polyester.

Hammock
    UKhammocks Woodsman lite
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    UKH UQ, Cumulus TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch hooks
    Images
    My first hammock was DIY. I did it for the fun of it. A comparable shop bought one would have cost nearly the same. It's indeed very satisfying. The second one I purchased together with my underquilt. It's a simple gathered end which I could easily have sewn myself. I did buy it for two reasons: my first DIY is a little too small for me, and the new hammock did cost me only very slightly more that the "raw" fabrics for DIY would have. Not to mention the quality of sewing, which I'm not capable of.
    I never tried the tablecloth-thing, so no opinion on that.

DIY is all about the creative process for me. Sure I could buy a manufactured hammock from a dealer but with a DIY hammock I get to customise it to meet my needs. Manufactured hammocks lack that uniqueness that I value.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailrider74 View Post
    DIY is all about the creative process for me. Sure I could buy a manufactured hammock from a dealer but with a DIY hammock I get to customise it to meet my needs. Manufactured hammocks lack that uniqueness that I value.
    In one way it saddens me to think that we can source our outdoors gear cheaper from China than to make it ourselves. I must agree with Trailrider that the creative process is an aspect i find enjoyable, especially if my project has features not found in commercial products. Despite advice on HF to the contrary, I widened the stock ripstop nylon to 6ft by sewing a couple of strips in on both sides and enjoyed stretching out under my tree in the backyard today. Being open to new learnings and appreciating simple things (like staring at the clouds and sky through the tree branches whilst lying in your hammock) tend to ground us as life in general rushes along.

Hammock
    WBBB's
    Tarp
    UGQ, WB, OES
    Insulation
    UGQ UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    I'm big on DIY...but not with sewing machines. If I so much as look at one, it turns into a bird's nest. Some DIY projects can definitely save you money. If you're good with a sewing machine and can create an asymmetrical hammock with zippered bug netting, you could probably save a few bucks over one from the cottage makers. But I'm not sure that's the case with simpler hammocks. Amazon has a Grand Trunk UL for $17.90 + free shipping right now. Until you'd buy a tablecloth and suspension material, I don't imagine you'd save anything...if you could even buy materials for that price. But there is always the satisfaction that comes from DIY, so that may be all the reason someone needs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast