Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Ordered WB BB DL 1.7 & Superfly for boyfriend. Looking for UQ...

So my boyfriend's birthday is coming up and I wanted to spoil him. I've ordered the WB BB DL 1.7 and the superfly after doing some hammock research. I want to get a decent UQ and have read that the HG incubator is good and fits the BB well. I'm wondering what length to get and what on earth the overfill is...

Some info:

We live in New Zealand. Temperatures can be snowy in some regions but he will most likely be using his hammock in areas where it doesn't snow (about 46F low and 76F high in summer). It can get really cold on our summer nights plus we get surprise hurricanes down from the pacific islands sometimes mid-summer.

-- Thanks for any advice in advance. I am super excited to give this gift to him. I am sure I will be purchasing a hammock for myself soon as well, so we can go camping together. It'll be the first camping hammocks that either of us have ever owned. I will try to post some pics in future of the WBBB in action in some NZ landscape.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    First, wow! What a great girlfriend you are. Nice gift. I don't use an under quilt but the difference is personal preference. A half takes up less space and is lighter to carry. A full provides more coverage and comfort. Decide if it will be used more for camping or sleeping while backpacking any distance.

Overfill is extra down that is added to make it warmer. I have never added overfill so someone else can answer more technically on a good amount of overfill for your climate.

Have fun!

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images

Ordered WB BB DL 1.7 & Superfly for boyfriend. Looking for UQ...

Great gift. I have an short incubator which is plenty big for me. I'm 5'4". The regular should work up to someone 6'. I have used mine on my WBBB, DHFB, DHDB, and my Grand Trunk Double.

The extra overstuff is debatable. Hammock Gear quilts are already overstuffed 15%-20%. People go back and forth on here whether or not addition fill provides more warmth. The answer is yes and no from what I can tell.

What everyone agrees on is that it will provide better draft protection from a breeze. It helps loft much quicker and helps keep the down from shifting around.

You may want to call Adam and ask for a 30° quilt. If your low is 46° I would suggest planning for 30° since you may experience some colder than usual nights.
    Last edited by Nhott; 05-04-2014 at 10:21.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    +1 to what others have said. HammockGear is a great choice. Either go with a 20* without overfill or a 40* with 2-3 ounces of overfill, which would add 5-7* of warmth to it to add a bit of protection. Generally, though, it's usually not a bad thing to go warm on an underquilt as that's one of the easiest ways to get cold. You don't want to go crazy (ie getting a 0* if you're expected lows are 40*) as that would be too much extra weight and bulk, but going 10-20* conservative isn't going to hurt. If it were me, I'd go with 20* with no overstuff (unless he's really concerned about pack weight).

Agree that regular length is fine for up to about 6ft. If taller than that, get the long one.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Most of my camping/hanging is at altitude and it can snow up there in the summer. The 20* Incubator is a great quilt and is about perfect for where you're planning to use it. I would also recommend an under quilt protector from 2QZQ in the breathable DWR finish. It adds some warmth and protection for the quilt. Mine stays on year round.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Look at the Arrowhead Equipment New River as well.
    Great product, great price!

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Your amazing... should get my wife to ready this...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Great GF. You shouldn't have to clean the bathroom for a couple of months at least!

I actually bought a full length UQ for my BB but am switching to a Partial Length for weight savings since I always carry some foam pad with me. If I could make a recommendation, I would say get him a gift card to HG and let him decide. He could then pick from the Phoenix or the Incubator and get the right combo that he wants. I wouldnt worry about not having it there for his bday, since it sounds like he will have plenty of toys to play with!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    It looks like you did your homework on the hammock and tarp,,, Great choices by the way.
    You should give UGQ a look before you buy, they have alot of options and do very nice work as well.
    Also, if things dont work out between you and your bf, feel free to give me a call. ,, just kidding, good luck!..

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    WB / AHE / WL
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    There are plenty of vendors here, be sure to look around. That said, I also have a WBBB and 20degree Incubator from HG and it works just fine. Hooks on nice and easy and plenty warm, but the wind can suck the heat right out of it! You may not have much of a problem since you have the superfly, the doors will stop most of the wind, but look at an UQ protector if it becomes a problem.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast