DIY tree straps or huggers

I am going to be switching to whoopies and I had a question about making some tree straps. I couldn't seem to find anything about people making their own (probably because they are decently cheap to purchase). I will have some webbing left over and I'd like to make a pair of straps or huggers without sewing. In tree huggers, would knots for loops suffice? I know it lessons the strength but I'm thinking it should still be plenty safe... And if I went with tree straps and toggles are any knots needed beside the loop that gets rolled up with the toggle put through? I couldn't find a clear picture of how that works. And lastly, for toggles, would the flat side of a carabiner work okay?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Yes, you can form end loops in the webbing with knots (many have).

Just the marlin spike hitch with the toggle and however the whoopie is attached to the hammock...typically larks headed.

You can use the flat side of a biner for the toggle and hang the whoopie on the knot or use the biner in a traditional method and as a toggle (end loaded) and clip the whoopie into the biner.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    On my last trip, I had warbonnet straps on my ridge runner hammock---I managed to damage one of the straps, so to save the day, i took the strap, tied a loop in one end, and converted the strap into a tree strap--------did a quick whoopie sling conversion on my hammock (I keep a spare in my repair kit) and all was well!
    So, yes, you can tie a knot to form a loop in your tree straps. Im not sure how it compares with sewing as far as strength goes, but I had no trouble with it!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    A bowline on a bight around the tree and the marlin spike hitch for the whoopie, and you're good to go. The bowline on a bight allows for quick detachment by pulling on the tag end.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIYGS 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Blue HarborFreight
    Insulation
    sleeping bag & pad
    Suspension
    dynaglide UCRs
    A doubled-up figure-8 (like when tying into a climbing rope) would make a great end-loop. If you're going to carry a 'biner, might as well do the marlin spike on the end and run the whoopie through the other end (instead of using it as a toggle).

Perfect! Thanks for your help everybody. My life just got a little bit easier, and lighter.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly/Ogee
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    So is it safe to tie a marlin spike hitch and place a carabiner in the loop and then clip the whoopies onto this carabiner, so instead of loading behind the knot as I have seen many people do, you are loading the loop, if that makes sense!

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    Quote Originally Posted by magic354 View Post
    So is it safe to tie a marlin spike hitch and place a carabiner in the loop and then clip the whoopies onto this carabiner, so instead of loading behind the knot as I have seen many people do, you are loading the loop, if that makes sense!
    I've done it just that way for quite awhile now. On take down, just slide the carabiner out of the hitch. I haven't noticed any damage to the strap yet, but I haven't been hanging all that long. Someone else on the forum might have a more experienced view.
    Bill

• + New Posts