Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    As you will see in the video, Lance came up to a sharp right turn downhill, unsure of how to negotiate it. He stops to look at it while Bob rides up behind him and you can hear Bob giving him advice. Lance sees me videoing and I say to him "go ahead". He yells back "don't call me Gourdhead". So naturally, we've GOT TO call him Gourdhead. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    OK, We need the story behind that trail naming.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trailryder42 View Post
    As you will see in the video, Lance came up to a sharp right turn downhill, unsure of how to negotiate it. He stops to look at it while Bob rides up behind him and you can hear Bob giving him advice. Lance sees me videoing and I say to him "go ahead". He yells back "don't call me Gourdhead". So naturally, we've GOT TO call him Gourdhead. Lol
    HAHA! I remember that.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incub&Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Stock WB straps
    Planning for semi-retirement in a couple of years. I will be spending much more time in CO.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    3 season WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Forgot to mention, Lance aquired his trail name this trip. Gourdhead.
    And I was just starting to like you, TR42!

No, you guys were great in putting up with my ineptitude, although you may have been cheering me on so you wouldn't have to haul my carcass out of the mountains.

I had a great time and looking forward to doing it again soon.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    After our lunch, Bob took me back to the Judy Gaskill bridge and the west TH of section 1. He told me it was about 3 miles to the top where I could make camp for night. Didn't ride much of that 3 miles, it was mostly hike-a-bike. I took lots of breaks. In the videos you can hear me trying to suck some o2 out of the air. It dawned on me while editing these videos that Lance and Chuck didn't seem to be hurting for air. Me being a low-lander, I pretty much kept a higher breathing rate.

About 2 hours and 50 minutes into the hike I reached what I thought was the top where I would camp for the night. Was feeling pretty good for making such good time. But had my bubble burst by an early east/west hiker that came past my camp next morning. He pointed out to me the real top and how much further I had to go. Wish I'd known that the night before, I could have done it then instead of starting the day with an uphill. Oh well, all part of the adventure.

I was figuring 2 hours to make it to Waterton Canyon from camp, where I would meet up with OutandBack at 11am at one of his favorite fishing spots along the river. So that put me leaving camp around 9am. But now knowing I hadn't yet reached the top, I left closer to 8am which worked out well, as I reached it at 9, keeping me on schedule.

I was stoked to be starting the downhill. Its grade made for some fast descent. Very rocky, rooty and technical in places. I was enjoying it. I then made it to Bear Creek, a good water source and neat campsite. Checked my GPS for position and saw that the trail climbs uphill out of the Creek, an uphill section I hadn't counted on. Set me back about 45 minutes, but the downhill after that was fantastic. I wouldn't mind doing this section again without the packs.

Made it down to the east TH and took the road leading away from it down the canyon about 3 miles, where I came rolling up on Bob waving at me. He'd already caught a 12" trout. I rested for a bit then I broke out my tackle and we both fished for about another hour, with no luck. Bob fried up the 1 trout and we shared it right there. MMMMM......Tastey.

Then we had a drive ahead of us back to the west TH of section 2 to pick up my truck, where I'd left it when the 4 of us rode it from there. Got back to Bobs place, cleaned up some, then out to Chilis for some supper. Mango Chili Talapia with steamed brocolli and rice. MMMM....you've got to try that dish.

Last edited by trailryder42; 05-08-2014 at 16:58.

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Looks soo awesome! I really hope I can make it up there this summer for one of the rides. At 4:00 in the last video if most of the trail looks like that I could rock my CX bike on tubeless 35mm tires but if there was a lot of downhills like 5:25 NO WAY could I join you guys without a full suspension or at least a hard tail. Haha. Thanks for the report! I am glad you guys had a good time!
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceHawk View Post
    And I was just starting to like you, TR42!

No, you guys were great in putting up with my ineptitude, although you may have been cheering me on so you wouldn't have to haul my carcass out of the mountains.

I had a great time and looking forward to doing it again soon.
    I still think with some different pedals and a little practice you will be saying "Bring it on!"
    I enjoyed your company on the trail and in camp Lance looking forward to our next ride.
    I guess your mtn biking trail names is still open or do you already have one?

Quote Originally Posted by Refreshing View Post
    Looks soo awesome! I really hope I can make it up there this summer for one of the rides. At 4:00 in the last video if most of the trail looks like that I could rock my CX bike on tubeless 35mm tires but if there was a lot of downhills like 5:25 NO WAY could I join you guys without a full suspension or at least a hard tail. Haha. Thanks for the report! I am glad you guys had a good time!
    Although you could do it with your CX bike.
    I truely believe you would enjoy the trails much more(less hike-a-bike) with a full suspension mtn bike.
    Riding the flat and down hills is why we push the bikes up hill.

Something in the 5-6" full squishy, 24-27#, geared for climbing (20/36) is the perfect bike for Colorado mtns.
    If I could only have one bike for out here it would be a Yeti 575 with all XT components.

@TR42, Another very nice part 2 TR. Sorry I forgot about the climb in the middle of that trail.
    Both of those overlooks into the valley looks like hammock heaven.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 05-09-2014 at 09:33.

Images
    I sure am glad we did not mtn bike this weekend.
    The garderner and flower keepers are freaking out today.
    The forecast is for 4-8" in the city by midnight tonight. Not a very good Mothers Day.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 03-14-2016 at 18:24.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thats just crazy. Hope the forecast is wrong.

Images
    Thats just crazy. Hope the forecast is wrong.
    Snowed all night. I have ~6" and it is still snowing. 9 am temps 31F
    It's just going to turn 90F one day to instant summer.

I don't know how I am going to get a trail report for the next bike hang coming soon.
    http://www.traillink.com/trail/rio-grande-trail.aspx

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast