Hammock
    WB XLC Blackbird double 1.7, NANO 7
    Tarp
    WB Cammo Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yetti & Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing

AZ>Arizona Trail>23-26 May 2014 – Backpacking Hike N Hang with Happy Jack!!

Hi All,

As a hammock hanger for about 5 years now, I have had some fun in the hammock. And since of the last year and a half, I have moved from SC to AZ. I have been watching the forum for AZ and have not seen much activity. I hope to change that with this post....

Event: Hiking and Hammocking with Happy Jack

When: May 23-26 (Memorial Day Weekend)

Where: Happy Jack, AZ (Passage #29 – Arizona Trail)

Total Distance: 30.7 Miles

Details:

This will be a 3 night, 4 day backpacking trip on a beautiful section of the Arizona Trail. This is not a race. It is an enjoyable hike through the forests of Northern Arizona. This area is a huge Ponderosa pine forest. Which means plenty of places to hang. The trip will officially start at 7am, Friday, May 23, 2014. For all those that want to attend, please let me know in advance of the trip, so I have an idea of the size of group that will be joining and who all to expect. We will be hiking from North to South. This seems to be the easiest way for this section.

Note: This is my 1st time hiking this section of trail. I am going by the data from AZ trail and the small amount of scouting I have done already. I have enclosed a link to information on this section of the Arizona Trail from the website below:

http://www.aztrail.org/passages/pass_29.html

In addition, I have created a document that will provide some other data that can be useful to have during this hike. Please see the Links Below:

Trip Data Sheet & Maps:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...zQ&usp=sharing

Below is how the days will be broken down.

I will be arriving at the Northern TH – Gooseberry Springs (34.82130° N, 111.43177° W) the night before the trip (Thursday) around 7-8 pm (unless I can get out of the office earlier. I will hammock at the TH for the night. All those that would like to join me, FEEL FREE!!! Although you might miss me, seeing I will be in all camo.

Day 1 (Friday, May 23, 2014) -

Total Miles – 9.7 Miles

We will start the hike officially at 7am from the Gooseberry TH (Mile 530.3). Our tentative EOD Group Hammock Hang Spot will be Pine Spring (520.6) - ( 34.771920, -111.351730.) There should be a spring, a water Tank, camp sites and should be plenty of trees to hang from. Just a little info, there should be 3 possible water re-supply points before we get to camp (this is in addition to when we get to camp).

Day 2 (Saturday, May 24, 2014) -

Total Miles – 7.7 Miles

We will start the hike at 8am from the Pine Spring (Mile 520.6). Our tentative EOD Group Hammock Hang Spot will be Gonzales Tank (Mile 512.9) – (34.711450, -111.295610.) There should be a Water Tank and should be plenty of trees to hang from. Just a little info, there should be 1 possible water re-supply points before we get to camp (this is in addition to when we get to camp).

Day 3 (Sunday, May 25, 2014) -

Total Miles – 5.4 Miles

This day will be mostly uphill. We will start the hike at 9am from the Gonzales Tank (Mile 512.9). Our tentative EOD Group Hammock Hang Spot will be Sheepherders Tank (Mile 507.5) – (34.663380 -111.273270.) There should be a Water Tank and should be plenty of trees to hang from. Just a little info, Sheepherders Tank is the only possible water re-supply point until camp.

Day 4 (Monday, May 26, 2014) – (Memorial Day)

Total Miles – 7.9 Miles

This day should be mostly a down hill Trek to the end. We will start the hike at 8am from Sheepherders Tank (Mile 507.5). Our End of Trip TH will be HWY 87 (Mile – 499.6) - (34.607640 -111.199860.) Just a little info, there should be 2 possible water re-supply points before we get to the end. From here, I have a ride picking me up at the End at 4:30 – 5:00pm on Monday.

If we arrive early, I plan on throwing up the Hammock in this area and await my ride. For all those that parked there vehicles at the Gooseberry TH and need a ride back to this TH, I am sure my ride is willing to ablidge. At the same time if we have a lot of folks, that want to come I am sure we can arrange to have a car or 2 on one end and one on the other. The more transportation options the better.

Just let me know guys!!! I look forward to folks coming along.
    If you see me on the trail...DON'T YELL!...DON'T BAIL!... Its just your BOY, Camomeleon!!!

www.camomeleon.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/XtremeKatfishn

Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    Sounds like you are going to have a good time. Do you have enough cocoa? Don't you need Desert Camo for that area? Is that a NEW hammock you are using now? I thought you had the regular Black Bird.

Hammock
    WB XLC Blackbird double 1.7, NANO 7
    Tarp
    WB Cammo Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yetti & Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Yep, Gonna be a blast!! Was hoping to get some other Arizonians to join me. Cocoa is fully stocked!! No desert camo, this area is fully wooded!!! That is a new hammock sir. WB XLC Blackbird double 1.7 Camo!!! The regular Blackbird I had is now by Bed.
    If you see me on the trail...DON'T YELL!...DON'T BAIL!... Its just your BOY, Camomeleon!!!

www.camomeleon.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/XtremeKatfishn

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    How was the trip?

• + New Posts