Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Excellent information and explanations
    Frosty Butt Hang Jan 2015 .................. Fat Butt Hang April 2015..........Hunger / Halloween Hang Oct 2015

neusioktrail.org ..................... Free Hammock Classes

I am 18 with 44 years of experience !

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Excellent idea Nhott. I'm far from knowing everything, but I'll chime in on a couple things. Most of this is based on me picking the brains of the various manufacturers I work with.

The D and the T are one in the same for nylons, but not for polyester. For instance, 210T is 70D and 380T is 20D for all nylons. To give just a little more detail on Denier, the number beside the D stands for the weight in grams of 9000 meters of the base fiber.

Most of the time, the ripstop grid is actually made by using the same D fiber just woven tighter within the grid structure. This isn't always the case, as you will see some fabrics with a designation such as 300Dx400D, meaning that the base fabric is made from 300D thread while the reinforcement ripstop grid is made with a thicker 400D thread. In such a case, the ripstop grid will be noticeably raised compared to the base fabric.

Calendering is a process by which the fabric is folded in half and ran through heated, heavy rollers to seal the tiny holes in the weave. The result is a fabric that has two distinct sides, one shiny (the calendered side) and one unaltered or matte finish. Like Nhott mentioned, this does not inherently make a fabric downproof. It most certainly improves the downproofness, but not all calendered fabrics are downproof.

Tackling this one separately....

Would just add that it is considerably easier to print on polyester compared to nylon. e.g. camo patterns
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "1st Quality Fabric at Wholesale Prices. NO ORDER MINIMUM."

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time
    Extremely helpful thread for everyone. Thank you.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ripstopbytheroll View Post
    Excellent idea Nhott. I'm far from knowing everything, but I'll chime in on a couple things. Most of this is based on me picking the brains of the various manufacturers I work with.

The D and the T are one in the same for nylons, but not for polyester. For instance, 210T is 70D and 380T is 20D for all nylons. To give just a little more detail on Denier, the number beside the D stands for the weight in grams of 9000 meters of the base fiber.
    I updated the first post with your information. Thank you. You completely lost me with the D and T. I'm not getting it. Can you clarify?
    "If you do not expect the unexpected you will not find it, for it is not to be reached by search or trail." - Heraclitus

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhott View Post
    I updated the first post with your information. Thank you. You completely lost me with the D and T. I'm not getting it. Can you clarify?
    Yeah sure I just meant that to the best of my knowledge, all 70D fabrics will also have the 210T designation and all 20D will have the 380T. The Denier and Thread Count are linked. i.e. you won't see a 70D that's 300T. All 70D fabrics will be 210T.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "1st Quality Fabric at Wholesale Prices. NO ORDER MINIMUM."

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Yeah sure I just meant that to the best of my knowledge, all 70D fabrics will also have the 210T designation and all 20D will have the 380T. The Denier and Thread Count are linked. i.e. you won't see a 70D that's 300T. All 70D fabrics will be 210T.
    But only for nylons. Polyesters will not hold the same corelations. Weight/sqyd is only tangentially related to the denier. Deneir deals with thread. Weight/sqyd deals with fabric. The density of the weave can effect the weight of the fabric.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...Calendering is a process by which the fabric is folded in half and ran through heated, heavy rollers to seal the tiny holes in the weave. The result is a fabric that has two distinct sides, one shiny (the calendered side) and one unaltered or matte finish....
    And then there is calendered two sides done by passing a single layer of fabric through the rollers which of course is equally shiny on both sides.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    When I look at some import suppliers I see 40D 240T and also 40D 300T.

Dutch replied yesterday to me on his thread saying that his 1.6 Argon is 190x110 so that would be 300T and it is 40D.

Take this link for what it's worth but it lists a 70D 240T if I am reading it properly. http://m.alibaba.com/product/5531813...abric_for.html

I'm not trying to be difficult but I'm not seeing how thread count has anything to do with denier.

As I will hopefully be soon starting my DIY gear I just want to make sure I know as much as possible before starting.
    "If you do not expect the unexpected you will not find it, for it is not to be reached by search or trail." - Heraclitus

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhott View Post
    When I look at some import suppliers I see 40D 240T and also 40D 300T.

Dutch replied yesterday to me on his thread saying that his 1.6 Argon is 190x110 so that would be 300T and it is 40D.

Take this link for what it's worth but it lists a 70D 240T if I am reading it properly.

I'm not trying to be difficult but I'm not seeing how thread count has anything to do with denier.

As I will hopefully be soon starting my DIY gear I just want to make sure I know as much as possible before starting.
    Ripstopbytheroll qualified his response by saying his information was from the manufacturers he has dealt with. It is important to recognize that there are no strict manufacturing specs for fabrics. Just like various polymers make up the "nylon" classification, so various manufacturers will have different specs for their products. The density and weave patterns can vary from one manufacturer to another quite widely. Thread count, deneir and weight are three different variables among many that fabric engineers work into their creations. Some are proprietary and are unique to certain products, others are widely used by multiple manufacturers. That's one of the reasons for differences in price between some vendors/distributors/manufacturers. The denser the weave, the more threads of a particular deneir are included in the panel of any given size. That's just the way the business operates.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images

Fabric Q and A for Noobs

Thank you ripstopbytheroll and Ramblinrev. You both are extremely helpful.

Here's another question I'll throw out there. If I want an impregnated silnylon lets say 1.1, does the actual finished product weigh 1.1 or is it 1.1 nylon + the additional weight of the silicone? I think it's the later but you know the extent of my knowledge from above.
    Last edited by Nhott; 05-08-2014 at 15:31.