Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images

3 Days in Lost Park Wilderness

Rather than rewrite it all again I'll point you guys at my website.

Colorado Lost Creek Wilderness Trip Report

Some Hammock related things from the trip were that my new Underquilts worked great. I used the JRB Rocky Mountian No Snivler and it did a great job of keeping me warm even at 11,200 where the air was cold and the wind was pretty stiff. I had some mild cold feet but nothing overly uncomfortable. I didn't have my thermometer with me apparently but the forcast was lows into the middle to lower 30's for that night. I was very pleased with how the quilt worked out but it did mean I had to leave more of my gear on the ground instead of in the pockets.

The second night I slept like a rock. I never could get the tension just right on everything since the Aspens I had to work with were small but there was much less wind down in that hollow around 9,000ft and the temps were a bit higher. I actually woke up with the Marmot Helium sleeping bag pushed down around my waist. It was too much for the low 40's with the underquilt. I'm looking forward to my Mt. Washington-3 coming in. It will likely be just perfect for my usual fall and spring trips here in MO.

I was glad that no serious storms brewed up while I was out. Mountain thunderstorms scare me more than most other threats out there. They can be fierce. I actually got great weather for those three days. Prior to that it had been raining every day in the afternoon often with hail, sleet, and snow. Pretty wild to get snowed on in June!

There is a link to the full photo gallery and the GPX file of the whole trip (right click-'Save As') above "Day 1" if you are interested. The photos are all rough processed. I have not had time to really properly develop and tag them but you'll get the idea.

I hope to return and accually summit Bison someday. It might be a lot easier to base-camp and summit light than it was to drag that full pack up the side.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Great trip report, and beautiful area!

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

great trip report

I enjoyed the read. Really good pictures. Hope you are healing.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    The knee is getting better. I still feel it coming down the stairs at times but it's much better now than the first couple days after the trip. I think I may have pushed it a little too hard. Honestly if that trail were 2 or 3 miles longer I seriously doubt I could have made it and that probably aggravated things a bit. Hopefully it doesn't prove to be an easily reinflamed injury.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    That was a great report. It brought back in vivid detail my hike up to burnside lake. That section about walking 20 steps then having to stop was exactly how I came up over the pass on my hike. Out of curiosity about how much did your pack weigh?
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    The pack weight fully watered at the trailhead was 38lbs. Probably a pound or two lighter on the hike up since I used several items of food by then. The push from camp up to Bison gained 700ft of altitude over a very short distance so it was a real bear in places. I had only gained 1200ft over 4+ miles the day before. The good news for me is that I had dropped 50lbs of fat since December so I have basically dropped a whole loaded pack of weight just in body weight. Makes a big difference try to drag 248lbs of me and stuff up a hill vs. close to 300lbs.

Images
    Enjoyed your report, Photo. Your cough makes me think of mm first trip using a hammock, when I got the worst altitude sickness I've ever had. A cough was part of it, which I suspect was mild pulmonary edema. It was a wet cough.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images
    That's some beautiful country.

38 lbs. - You need to reevaluate what you're hauling and get that pack weight down. Especially with that bad knee.

You ought to see a doctor or other medical pro about that knee. It sounds bad, as if there could be something wrong down deep. Bad knees can ruin outdoor careers if left untreated. Try to nip that one in the bud. Hopefully you have health insurance.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Actually what I may re-eval is my desire to do longer distance trips and focus on shorter hikes to places that could be used to launch a day-hike to a point of interest. I mentioned in another thread that I am a camper that likes out-of-the-way locations, not so much a hiker that camps because he has to sleep sometime. I need to put that into perspective when I plan my trips. I have spent many hundreds of dollars to get to what I have now but at this point I could cut nearly every 'extra' item out and I'd still not be losing more than a pound and a half or so. I start to lose my desire to go in the first place if I can't camp with at least a little comfort. Clothing, Food, and Water are my major weights outside of my core sleeping gear which is a hammock and down quilts. My SLR camera is another big item but if I can't go for the photos then I'm not all that interested in going anyway. That's why I got started hiking in the first place, I liked taking landscape photos of pretty places.

I probably should have sucked down the water before I started the decent. 3L of that was around 7lbs all on it's own. I'm always nervous though on a new trail to not have water close at hand. Turned out to be plentiful so I could have cut that back quite a bit.

I'm always looking at what I can change though. I have dumped quite a bit thus far.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Hyoh

Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    I am a camper that likes out-of-the-way locations, not so much a hiker that camps because he has to sleep sometime.
    Exactly!! It is a long day hike from Lost Park Campground to Goose Creek trailhead via Wigwam trail to Goose Creek trail. The only reason to go over Bison is to get pictures and maybe spend some time in McCurdy Park. McCurdy Park is a magical place. It is a big meadow nestled between McCurdy Mountain and McCurdy Tower. McCurdy Tower is popular with climbers.

There are many reasons why we go into the backcountry and we need to take the gear to accomplish our goals.

I carried a 45 pound pack until I turned 50 and realized that I needed to lighten my load if I was going to continue to hike. I envy the youngsters that can carry the heavy loads.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast