Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    What thread are you using? The upper thread tension should not be anywhere near maxed out on thin nylon.

Also using a straight stitch throat plate and presser foot sometimes helps with thin fabrics.

Thoroughly clean the bobbin area to make sure there are no loose thread bits and lint.

Images
    I am using Gutermann mara thread. So I made some Miniature dog bones with a small loop in the middle to hold the spreader bars and still have separate suspension pieces. When I put my daughter in it, it started to tear downwards at the spreader bars. Is it just the one piece of fabric needing to spread at that point or should I sew in reinforcement patches.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Is there an easy way to make sure the thread tensioner is working? The knob is almost impossible to turn so I am wondering if it is really changing anything.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Yeah, you can't just cut an opening through a hem, leaving raw edges and not expect it to tear. You will have to figure out some type of reinforcing for that. I suggest you go back to one of the posts for a similarly designed hammock and ask the maker about the details.

You may be ahead to take your machine, thread and fabric sample to a sewing machine repair business and have them check it out and show you how set it up. Yes, it will cost a bit, but so will ruined DIY projects. Best to get it sorted out now.

I also see in your photo that the stitch length varies back and forth between a correct length (the longer ones) and too short of stitch length. This is most likely due to you pulling the fabric through or holding it back instead of letting the machine feed the fabric. Short version...operator error. Let the machine do the feeding. You should only be guiding the fabric.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Gathered-End
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Pad & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I made my first (and so far only) bridge hammock about a month ago. And after making and testing 3 other very cool gathered-end hammocks, the bridge has become my go-to for two reasons: comfort and roominess. I made a big one, too - a 7.5' long rendition of the BMBH, and I couldn't ask for anything more in outdoor comfort. In fact, I'm looking around now for some info on how to improve my spreader-pole receptacles. I'm also going to work on an enclosure for it. A combination bug net/weather type shield thingy.
    I make gear... lots and lots of gear.
    http://campingwithken.com/

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
    ..In fact, I'm looking around now for some info on how to improve my spreader-pole receptacles. I'm also going to work on an enclosure for it. A combination bug net/weather type shield thingy.
    Start a new post with some close up photos of your pole receptacles and someone will probably figure a good way for you.

Images
    Wanted to say thanks again. I blew out the bobbin area and loosed the top tension a bit and it sewed great. I got some reinforcements sew in and laid it. I has a lot of stretch but was comfortable. Am I correct in that longer suspension triangles make it less tippy?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by mtinaz View Post
    ...Am I correct in that longer suspension triangles make it less tippy?
    For a given hang angle, yes.

Congrats on the machine.

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    I decided the first diy standard hammock that i made with curves sewn into the head and foot end is not comfortable and i am going to cut it up and convert it to my firat bridge hammock. Consider me subscribed as i have many of the same questions. Please post the finished product!

Images
    I have only laid in the hammock for a few minutes but have learned some things making it I thought I would share. First is it takes a lot more fabric and rope than you would think, especially if you are making it out of one continuous piece. My plan for this hammock was a backpacking hammock that got rid of my knee extension, because trying to make sure I had something big enough to put under my knees was a huge pain. From that stand point I decided to go with rope suspension. In hind sight that was not a good Idea for a first one. Trying to get enough fabric to support the channel and folding along the curve was difficult and using webbing would have really simplified this step. The other issue was getting all the lengths of rope just right with the buries causing magical shrinking rope.
    That said now that it is together I do like the rope and larks heads with no metal hardware. For my height I should have gone with a 6" cat cut because when I curl up on my side my legs take up the full 32".
    The spreader bars moved in seems to work nice and if the bar is right above my eyes I can sit up just fine without it getting in the way.
    I hope to get a few nights in it this week and will report back with some photos. I think I will also try 36" triangles on the head end to see if it helps with the list that develops when I roll on my side and don’t re center just right. With the 30" triangles it is a little tippy but don’t think I could fall out without trying to.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast