Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

First bridge hammock, some questions

I have ordered the materials for my first bridge hammock and have some questions. After lots of reading and video watching this is what i came up with. I was going to place the spreader bars at my ankles and eyes with the fabric extend past the spreader bars similar to the light weight grizbridge. It would be 32" at the center with a 7" cut for a total width of 42". I was planning on using 36" spreader bars with 30" suspension triangles. Does this sound like is should work? I am fairly big at 6'5" 215lbs so I am a little worried about shoulder squeeze. I was planning on making the side suspension and triangle out of one piece of amsteel rather than side suspension with separate dog bones. Will this work? I was thinking I could cut a hole in the hem/channel and put in a 3 hole piece of aluminum to hold the spreader bars. Any ideas, thoughts or concerns would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I have made several bridge hammocks but none with the spreader bars located inward so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Make sure the head end spreader bar location/hammock depth combination does not create a situation where you have to "duck under" the bar to lay back or sit up.

The stress at the spreader bar mounts from the amsteel will be considerable so you would have to figure a way to keep the amsteel to the outside of, and pressing on the aluminum plates. If the amsteel slips over/under the plates to the inside, only the fabric hem will be supporting the side load and things will want to tear.

One piece side suspension/triangles have been done, but I would be hesitant to do that on my first bridge hammock unless I had considerable experience with my design (which I wouldn't if it was my first) or was doing an exact copy of a know good design.

My reasoning is that the length of the triangles have a large effect on stability. With separate dog bones, you have the ability to try different lengths to find a good compromise between overall length vs. stability.

If I was going to try a one piece amsteel suspension, I would experiment with doing away with the aluminum mount and play with splicing a parallel piece of amsteel at each spreader bar mounting location to form an eye. Splice it tight and use lock stitching on the buries. May or may not work.

IMG_4354 (Medium).JPG IMG_4353 (Medium).JPG

Hopefully, someone with this type of hammock experience will be along to better judge your plans.

Images
    Thanks, I think I will keep it at separate dog bones for this one then. I like the idea of the loop I was thinking of trying to split the rope then insert a bead to keep it open.

Images
    Well I got the fabric and cut the curve, but for the life of my I cannot figure out how to roll the hem to make the channel on the curve. If I fold more than once it gets all messed up. What am I missing?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Rolled hems (channel) on a curve do try to pucker. The greater the curve, the greater the hem width, the greater the problem. Keep it as narrow as possible and use lots of pins.

I hadn't thought about it before, but this is probably a good reason to use 1/2" webbing for the side suspensions. You sew the webbing to the fabric edge and then roll it, The webbing forces the fabric to conform.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by mtinaz View Post
    Well I got the fabric and cut the curve, but for the life of my I cannot figure out how to roll the hem to make the channel on the curve. If I fold more than once it gets all messed up. What am I missing?
    What you're missing is a technique called 'clipping the curve'. Use a small pair of scissors (thread scissors will work fine) and clip into the fabric from the raw edge. For a 1/2" rolled hem you shouldn't cut more than 3/8" into the edge of the fabric. This takes the stress off the curve as you roll the hem and is buried in the hem so it doesn't show.

Depending on the depth of the curve you may have to clip every inch or maybe only every two inches. It takes a bit of practice to get an eye for how much clipping you're going to have to do.

Practice on some scrap until you've got the technique down.

Here's a YouTube video that shows clipping a hem, same technique different purpose (he's working on a finished hem). I'd use smaller scissors though, more control over them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSrA-SQDo8g

Images
    thanks for the tips. It does not look the prettiest but I got the channels sewn. My sewing machine just hates nylon. I keep getting tons of loops on the underside if everything is not perfect. Now on to the suspension and then if it really works a bug net.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ..My sewing machine just hates nylon. I keep getting tons of loops on the underside if everything is not perfect...
    It's more likely that your tension adjustment/thread/needle/fabric combination isn't working well. I doubt the machine cares one way or the other what type fabric is being sewn.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    thanks for the tips. It does not look the prettiest but I got the channels sewn. My sewing machine just hates nylon. I keep getting tons of loops on the underside if everything is not perfect. Now on to the suspension and then if it really works a bug net.

Most times 'loops on the underside' are caused by improper threading of the top thread and/or improper winding or insertion of the bobbin.

A seam or hem with 'tons of loops' will not hold worth a #$^@. If your channels are looking as you described IMO I'd be scared to hang from them.

As gmcttr says, your machine doesn't give a rip what fabric you're using. JMHO, take the time to go over your machine manual (you do have one don't you?) and make sure that everything is working properly. You'll thank yourself a thousand times over.

Images
    We went through the manual and it said to tighten the top tension. I is maxed out and I have tried like 4 needles of different sizes as I like to break them. It sews everything else just fine but any project with nylon it gives problems. I will try playing around with it more as I am worried about it holding.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast