Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Burrow 20 just came in! It has a bit of a smell. Is it normal?

My brand new Burrow 20 came in this afternoon! Adam was great, he even put a few extra attachment loops on it for me and got it here in time for a trip this weekend!

One thing though: it smells noticeably like wet dog. I remember reading somewhere that cheap down keeps its smell because it isn't washed properly, so this has me a little worried. Obviously down smells when it's wet, but this is right out of the box, totally dry. Have other people experienced this with high quality down fills?

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Variety of Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Hook
    I've never experienced that specifically, although smells on items straight out of the box aren't totally uncommon for me when receiving various products. Have you let it air out for a day or two to see what it's like then? Maybe it's just something temporary (ie. some dampness from shipping, etc.). I'd also send them an email to inquire if it doesn't go away fairly quickly.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Assuming you reached out to Adam first, what did he say?
    "Nothing great was ever accomplished without enthusiasm" "I'm growing older but not up"

My YouTube Page BackpackingAdventures My FaceBook Page BackpackingAdventures

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    HG cuben w. doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    I bought a 20 burrow last year and it had the same smell. There is still some left but haven't really given it much thought. I have no other "problems" with the quilt. It really does the job well.

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    HG cuben w. doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynbo View Post
    I bought a 20 burrow last year and it had the same smell. There is still some left but haven't really given it much thought. I have no other "problems" with the quilt. It really does the job well.
    Correction: I bought a 40 burrow

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I dont mean to pick on the OP, but I do feel that I have seen alot of posts lately that the question could be better answered by direct contact with the Vendor. My apologies to the OP, you are just following what has become the norm around here.

If I were to receive a product that I felt had an issue, my first contact would be to the vendor directly. If I did not receive a response in a reasonable amount of time or did not receive a satisfactory response, then, and only then, would I publicize what I feel is an issue with a product. By reasonable amount of time, I mean 2-3 days at the least. Yes, with major retailers or manufacturers, I would expect a more prompt response but with the cottage vendors they often do not have the necessary resources to handle the volume of customer communication. If the vendor gets enough of the same question over and over, then it is on them to relieve themselves of that burden and post a FAQ to provide the answer to the question. I looked for a better place for this rant, but couldnt find it.

Posts like these are read most often by people looking to buy a product from a vendor and I would hate to think that someone was steered from one vendor to another because someone published a perceived issue, or perhaps a one time mistake. And the first that said vendor ever heard of the issue was the same time the rest of the community did.

Does that sound like ideal customer service? No. But I realize their challenges before I order my product (most of them have disclaimers on their websites) and accept that this is the type of service that I will receive. I do not fret about it or worry that I dont hear anything regarding shipping in a week or two, or that I sent an email at midnight and didnt get a response by the time I woke up in the morning.

A couple of months ago, I ordered some gear from two of the forum vendors...one of which was HG. About halfway through the normal wait, I had a friend become free for an impromptu trip a week or so out. I emailed both vendors and told them about the trip and asked if I could get my gear in time. I also stated that I completely understood that I was throwing this in at the last minute and would understand if they could not. Guess what, they both got me my gear in time for my trip and I was thrilled.

Every forum vendor I have dealt with has been tremendously helpful and while maybe not fast, they all have been attentive, responsive, and helpful. So please people, start contacting them first if you feel there is any issue whatsoever with a product and give them the first opportunity to correct it...I doubt they will let you down.

To 12trysomething and PhiDelt496, I didn't intend this as a post to "publicize an issue" with the vendor of product. I've never owned a high-fill down product before, and I honestly didn't know if this was something that should simply be expected. Adam is very busy and in the past it's taken some effort to get in contact with him, so I didn't want to bother him over a non-issue.

It seems like this is a touchy subject, so in hindsight perhaps I should have asked it as a general question without specifying the manufacturer.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Please dont look at it as "bothering" the vendor. If they feel overwhelmed with requests for an isue, then they should post that question as an FAQ on their website. Then at least the impetus is on the customer to check their first before asking the question. They are providing you goods for your money. They owe you a top notch product for the top notch prices they charge, which they deliver time and time again. They also want you to be completely satisfied with their product, so they WANT to know if there is anything about it that you may not like. You do owe them the opportunity to explain or rectify the issue directly. That is all I am trying to say.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    Brand new stuff right off the manufacturing line has a smell. Plastics, fabrics, treated down, rubber. Some gas out faster than others. Give it a week hanging or laying flat then check it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Super Ogee
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings, dc
    Don't sweat it. It is hard to learn the culture of a group, especially this group because it is so large and very eclectic. I find that it is helpful with my stuff to shake it, hang it in the sun a bit and it then has that fresh outdoors smell. I had a down sleeping bag that would get funky easily and it seemed fresh air made all the difference in the world. Tossed a bit in the dryer with 3 or 4 tennis balls might help as well. Be sure it is very low heat. Welcome and congrats on your new piece of gear.
    “Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.”
    ― Alan W. Watts

http://www.riverjourneys.org