DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

VA>Luray VA June 6-8 float trip on the South Fork Shenandoah River

Hi everyone, This trip is open to anyone! Requirements are you need to have you own way down the river (canoe or kayak) I recommend a plastic type of canoe or kayak. You need to have your own transportation. Also you will be responsible to determine if you and your families are capable of river travel.
    Friday June 6th, we will all meet in the morning at the Inskeep bridge also known as Brixler's Bridge #1 @ 10:30 AM no later!!!!!!!!!!! (GPS 38.70158,-78.49165). We well shuttle the cars around based on who's going. Diving directions for the bridge are: http://www.americanwhitewater.org/co...tab-directions. The first night we will be camped in National Forest along the left side of the river just downs stream of #8 Bealers Ferry boat launch. This is a good spot for a supply drop if on friday you don't want to take all you gear down river. Also anyone that can't make it on Friday morning can put in at this location and still camp friday night with us. I will hang my hammock forum flag to mark the site for late arrivals. If you can't do friday at all, you can put in at #8 Bealers Ferry on Saturday and meet up with the group if you catch us in the morning at camp or Saturday night in camp.
    Saturday June 7, we will leave camp #8 (GPS 38.74847,-78.43689) in the morning and float to Compton's Rapid. Camp will be on the left bank of the river just after the rapid. I will hang my hammock forum flag to mark the site for late arrivals.
    Sunday June 8, will be a short river day only 1 1/2 miles till take out at #19 (GPS 38.80728,-78.38693) on river left.
    It is very easy to find camp areas if you don't make the initial group start. There are number sings along the river marking all the locations on this map here : http://www.shenandoah-river.com/cano...oah-river-map/ . Even though this is a simple map it is all you need on this river. I would make a copy and bring it just incase you fall behind or scoot ahead of the group.
    I have never used Shenandoah River Outfitters before but I have hear that they will work with you if you want to rent a canoe for trips like this. If you need a canoe give them a call. Any dealing are between you and them!
    If your planning on fishing you will need a VA fresh water license obtained here: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/licenses/ If you fish without one you will get caught. If you have one, no one will ever ask to see it.
    The river has some great bass fishing too. The Shenandoah River is pretty laid back but does have some excitement on it, the worst is Compton Rapids class 2 but no problem it can easily be walked. The camp sites are primitive in National forest no bathrooms or drinking water you will need to bring everything you need. Camp fires are permitted so save some weight and cook on a fire. I recommend a chair for around the fire trust me it's worth it and don't forget your hammock Please post if you planing on joining us on this trip. Thanks all

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    I am very excited for this trip. I have already got time off from work. Are all meals on individuals, or is there a potluck? I'm not trying to start up something, just trying to get a better idea for meal planning and equipment needed. Also, is there a specific place or person we can leave the supply drop at #8? Not clear how that would work. Sorry, I'm a newb at this.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    No pot luck on this trip but if you want to share thats cool. if you want to leave stuff at #8 as a supply drop we would just leave a car there when we shuttle the cars.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Awesome thanks.

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    Cool beans. I will have to put in at #8 Bealers ferry Friday and catch up at camp. hopefully the timing will work out.I'll also need someone to give me a ride back to #8 Bealers ferry Sunday
    It's not the fall im scared of, it's the sudden stop at the end!!!

Only hang as high as your willing to fall- H.F. member

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    I'm in. I did not know we were doing a second thread? Ok though, I am still in!
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF
    VA-4th Annual NOVA Hang-Nov 6-8 PWFP

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by visionarylion View Post
    Cool beans. I will have to put in at #8 Bealers ferry Friday and catch up at camp. hopefully the timing will work out.I'll also need someone to give me a ride back to #8 Bealers ferry Sunday
    I am by my lonesome and needing to work out rides also. Perhaps we can split drop of and take out? I have a dodge dakota quad cab.
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    I am super stoked for this trip and will be there. I have a sit on top yak and will meet up Friday morning. I have a crew cab Tacoma if people need to be shuttled. aim coming from the Springfield area if anyone needs a ride.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    I just paddled most of this on friday with Oldpappy and a friend of his, thanks guys BTW, and it is an great paddle.
    I do caution everyone to Premeretherin (SP) your gear and/or bring tick spray. The campsite ant Mile 8 just screamed "TICKS!" LOL
    Fish were jumping right in front of us and bald eagles and great blue heron were in abundance. A storm moved rapidly up the valley right about dusk and hit us with a brief drizzle and some gusts of wind. It was very nice.

If someone wants to work out rides, get with me. I am coming by myself and can pair up with someone for put in, camp site, and drop off. Just send me a PM. I will post some pics when I get a chance.
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I'm going to try to make it for Friday (one day).
    Long pants and Deet would work for the bugs as well.

This link is what I use to gauge the river condition - 3ft to 6 ft (using the left side scale) are good levels for most of the run - Compton gets exciting above 5 ft.
    http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...lwx&gage=SFSV2
    Last edited by oldpappy; 05-17-2014 at 19:01. Reason: added river level link
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast