dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings

Tarp with doors VS tarp without doors?

Hey everyone we'll I'm debating on a tarp attachment I have the wilderness logics tadpole tarp and I love it so far although I'm unsure if I should buy the door kit for it or not.

Like I guess I'm just unsure how much if a difference if any Their will be with both warmth and staying out of the wet elements. I have a small hammock probably about 9ft or so the tarp is massive compared to my hammock anyways so I'm not worried about the rain getting in, and I know in the winter it will basically be a wind block to keep the wind from blowing away my current body heat I have correct?

So basically are they worth it over all? How much do they actually make a difference all around? And is it worth the weight penalty? Thanks a tone guys!!
    I am a pretty warm sleeper btw.
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My tarps all have integrated doors. I wouldn't do it any other way. I hear all the time "it's all about pitching it correctly according to wind direction".
    I disagree. The wind changes and often times in tree cover you get wind bouncing off your surroundings causing swirling winds etc. which can result in some mist or rain blowing in on the ends getting you wet.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Doors are worth it IMO especiallly less ithan deal weather conditions. I agree with Pizza in that you can always pitch a tarp perfectly. Wind can find a way into either end of a tarp. If you do any group/car camping, doors are also good for privacy if that matters at all.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Doors are definitly worth it, ,, if you dont like the idea of the doors full time then maybe you should take a look at the grizz beaks on 2qzq s website, you can just have them on hand just in case and i am sure if you camp alot they will come in handy, just my opinion but i would not go without doors,, sometimes it just rains sideways

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    I would like doors for my Tadpole, but two issues stop me from making a purchase:

1) They are expensive. The tadpole costs $90, and one set of doors $45. Two sets would cost the same that an entire tadpole.

2) They are heavy. The tadpole weighs 11.5 oz., and one set of doors 3.5 oz. Two sets would weight 60% of a door-less tadpole.

I hope that WL comes up with a set of cuben fiber doors at about the price of the current doors. Meanwhile, since I don't do much winter camping, I take solace on the experience of olddlog, as told on some other threads:

"I have had mine for almost a year now and took it out of the stuff sack and hung it in Maine for 2 1/2 months last summer. The first month was almost daily rains with one storm the worst I had experienced in 6 summers in Maine. The Tadpole never leaked a drop and the only time it got close to damp was in one of those heavy fogs up there..."

PM question: "If you had had doors on your Tadpole during your Maine experience, would it have made a significant difference?"

Answer: "Not to the point that I would order them as an option.... My limited experience is that the doors' greatest benefit is in blocking cold winds during winter hanging."

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    The truth is that most of the time you shouldn't need doors. Depends on where you typically are, but if hiking and camping through woods, you're not going to encounter so much wind that its really a significant issue - in general. However, seems like there's always a time or two where I say to myself "I wish I had doors". And now I do thanks to 2QZQ.

Probably at some point you'll want them, and its not like its something you can plan for, like "I'm going to be hiking on a windy ridge the next few days, so I'll take my doors" type of thing. Good chance you'll keep them pulled back most of the time unless you just enjoy being enclosed. But its a pretty fair difference when you're able to close them up as needed.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Tarp with doors VS tarp without doors?

I started out with hex tarps and never got wet, but my hex tarps have a 12' ridgeline. Fortunately, I never got caught in a sideways rain, which is prevalent in Florida summers.
    However, I switched to a tarp with doors about 15 months ago and love it. The advantage of the doors is that I now have a 10'-10" ridgeline that will setup between trees that the 12' ridgeline wouldn't fit between.
    That doesn't sound like a big deal but I kept finding beautiful hanging spots where my long tarps wouldn't fit.
    I recently made my son a tarp with doors with a 118" (9'-10") ridgeline and it completely covers his WBBB plus 9" past each end. Rain simply isn't coming in with the doors closed. IMO, a short tarp with integrated doors is better than a long hex tarp. When you factor in the shorter length, a doored tarp isn't much heavier than a long hex.

EDIT: I just checked the measurements between my 12' hex and my son's 9'-10" tarp with doors. The doored tarp uses only 2/3 of a yard more material! Both tarps use 10-11 square yards.

With doors, the tarps needs to extend only a few inches past the hammock. This allows you to lower the tarp down to just above the hammock, which puts the bottom hem closer to the ground to protect the underquilt from splash.
    Last edited by MAD777; 05-07-2014 at 07:56.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Just having 2 doors is a wonderful thing.. I bought a set for my edge tarp and sold half.. the added just in case protection is worth any min. added weight...imo you could just take one if you wanted or put one on each end etc..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    WB / AHE / WL
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Doors are worth it. All it took was one experience in the mountains with freezing rain and shifting wind for me to realize how quickly wind can rob you of heat.

Look at it this way. If you have doors, you can choose to use them or not. But if you dont have the doors, what are you going to do if you need them? Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Hammock
    60x126 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 8 1/2'
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, PLTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & MSH
    I have a square tarp pitched on the diagonal and am interested in this question as well. I'm aware of grizz beaks, but does anyone have a multipurpose item that can be used as a tarp door? Something you'd bring anyway and can use as door/s if needed?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast