Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Eno single
    Tarp
    OES Mac Cat std

2 person hammock

Hey everyone I was wondering if there was a general width of sil to use for a hammock im planning on making that would need to fit 2 people. I know it kinda depends on the size of people but i was just wondering what others have used as a width when making a 2 person hammock. thanks

Hammock
    Eno single
    Tarp
    OES Mac Cat std
    hey everyone would really like some info on this if you guys could help

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Bombdiggity View Post
    Hey everyone I was wondering if there was a general width of sil to use for a hammock im planning on making that would need to fit 2 people.
    You don't want to use sil at all, so nobody can really answer with any width advice. Sil does not breathe well enough to be used on a hammock body, and would collect condensation in all but the very coldest weather.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    As angrysparrow said, sil is a no-no for a hammock body. Unless, that is, you enjoy sleeping in a pool of your own sweat... literally a pool.

However, as for a width for a double hammock... the ENO Doublenest says that it's 6'8" wide. That would be a good place to start. Get a hold of some ripstop nylon (uncoated), that will usually be 5' wide. Sew 10" strips along each edge to get your 6'8". Just look at an ENO to get the right idea.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    if you want two people in a hmmock dont sew on the hammock body to make it wider.would be better just to have a wide peice of fabric.
    you want two people in a hammock get a warbonnet traveller

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    if you want two people in a hmmock dont sew on the hammock body to make it wider.would be better just to have a wide peice of fabric.
    While that is true, good luck finding an 80" wide bolt of ripstop. As long as the main body is one piece (where the majority of your weight will be), small strips along the sides are plenty strong enough if you use a proper seam (flat felled). Nearly all HAAB style hammocks use this technique and they're generally rated for 400lbs+.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I don't undrestand why the interest in two people in one hammock? Does not sound comfortable to me at all, everybody getting pushed into the middle. Besides, I have to fight for the blankets at home, I don't want to deal with that and the hammock bouncing all over when the other person moves. I could recommend two hammocks strung on top of each other. You could then share the same tarp and do a modified mosquito net. I'm thinking two single hammocks arent going to weigh anymore than a double, and will allow for versatility when the weather is good. Plus if you really want to snuggle with someone ,I think most singles can take it, IMHO. There are some ideas out there on google imageshttp://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...N%26start%3D40
    Or you could get really out of hand.http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3D100%26um%3D1
    Just my opinion, but there are lots of reasonably priced hammocks out there.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Eno single
    Tarp
    OES Mac Cat std
    hey everyone thanks for the help.

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    While that is true, good luck finding an 80" wide bolt of ripstop. As long as the main body is one piece (where the majority of your weight will be), small strips along the sides are plenty strong enough if you use a proper seam (flat felled). Nearly all HAAB style hammocks use this technique and they're generally rated for 400lbs+.
    The weight is not the issue for not using the seams . you can not use the fabric outside the seam cause the seams end up much tighter then the rest of the fabric. You dont need 80 inches of width for two people. probably only about 60 inches maybe a little more. like i said a warbonnet traveller works really well. The fabric width he uses works good

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I don't undrestand why the interest in two people in one hammock? Does not sound comfortable to me at all, everybody getting pushed into the middle. Besides, I have to fight for the blankets at home, I don't want to deal with that and the hammock bouncing all over when the other person moves. I could recommend two hammocks strung on top of each other. You could then share the same tarp and do a modified mosquito net. I'm thinking two single hammocks arent going to weigh anymore than a double, and will allow for versatility when the weather is good. Plus if you really want to snuggle with someone ,I think most singles can take it, IMHO. There are some ideas out there on google imageshttp://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...N%26start%3D40
    Or you could get really out of hand.http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3D100%26um%3D1
    Just my opinion, but there are lots of reasonably priced hammocks out there.
    Have you ever tried two people in a hammock? Two normally sized people can do it pretty easy. If you really sit down and run the math on two seperate hammocks vs one the weight is actually quite a bit higher even if you dont try to save weight by using less insulation due to the two bodies. Differance is probably 2-3 pounds could even maximize it and save 3-4 pounds over a single set up. Not only that but hanging two hammocks over under below one tarp means a bigger tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast