Wilderness Logics Lite Owl 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Thermarest neo air
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by kwiktech View Post
    So the blackbird is sweet for two years.
    Then you do something different and have problems.
    Now the blackbird must go.

Sounds like a totally scientific and logical way to operate...
    In my original post I stated I didn't do anything different and yes, if a piece of gear is not operating like it used to I will move on after trying to remedy the problem without success. Also, a dingo ate my baby.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Thermarest neo air
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I think some part of the calf ridge problem is a mental issue. However, I also have never been able to hang my BB indoors. It seems that I need two trees (or tree-like structures like two posts) where I can slide the suspension up or down to get a lay without calf ridge. Since I don't have anything like that indoors, I'm using a different hammock indoors. My Blackbird is still my go-to hiking hammock, though.

My suggestion would be, get a different hammock to hang indoors. I'm currently using a BIAS Lite Hiker that I modified with mini spreader bars. Don't sell your BB, yet. Just give it some rest, and when you have forgotten about the calf ridge, take it on another hike and try to forget that you ever had ridge issues. I know this is not easy. The first couple of nights, I'm always asking my legs "do you feel a ridge? No? Are you sure??! Isn't there a tightness? Don't you feel it?" It's like being at the dentist and believing that the anesthetization didn't work. If you expect pain, you'll usually find some... Focus on something positive instead, like how much you enjoy sleeping outdoors; how nice the fresh air feels; how soothing the rustling of the trees sounds. Don't give up on your BB, yet!
    I'm not selling it. I'm "retiring" it for a while. After a few months and trips with a different GE hammock, I will do just as you suggested and see if it was more mental than physical. I really don't think it's mental though.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Thermarest neo air
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

Even though I can usually work around it, I can get this problem in all non-bridges. The best non-bridge for me so far have been:
    1: HH No Net Safari, but never used it enough to cause stretch.
    2: Speer 8.5 ( but, knee extension is a problem so I still always need something under my knees just like with the worst GEs, but I'll take that over calf pressure)
    3: Claytor 10 ft No Net dbl layer. I can get pressure, but can always get rid of it, and don't have enough knee extension to bother me, plus can sleep on my side with legs straight without

But the only guarantee for me is any bridge I have tried. Still, for other reasons, I still sometimes choose GEs, either my HH UL Explorer/HHSS combo, or my Claytor/Pea Pod combo. But I have had a few happy trips with my JRB bridges combined with JRB MW UQs.

Has anyone reported calf ridge problems with any of the TTTG/Switchback models?
    Whatever the cause is, I'm happy for all the great trips I had with it. It was and is a great hammock just not for me anymore. The three hammocks you suggested are shorter than the WBBB. Maybe that's what I need. Glad to see you and your family made it through those storms ok! Mississippi got hit hard.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Thermarest neo air
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by just-bobby View Post
    Did your ridgeline change lengths? Not stretch but onee of the burys slip?
    Not sure. I'll inspect tonight and let ya know.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Thermarest neo air
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Any health or physical changes at all that coincide with the appearance of the calf ridge pressure? Tired muscles? New numbness or tingling in the legs?
    Not that I've noticed. I considered weight gain but I haven't gained any weight. It's really strange. I'm lending it to my brother who is almost the exact same weight and height to see if he experiences the same thing. If he does, I'm convinced it's the hammock fabric stretching that caused it.

I have to agree on bridge hammocks. They are the way to go. Keep a lookout on the boards because you will see warbonnets bridge hammock for sale.
    if you have sewing skills hikingdad has a video on making one

'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Has anyone reported calf ridge problems with any of the TTTG/Switchback models?
    Yes, the Switchback Light Hiker is the only hammock I owned that I had to sell almost immediately because I couldn't dial out the ridge. In addition it was terribly confining with shoulder squeeze with it's narrow width. Top notch quality for sure but I couldn't make that one work for me no matter what I tried. I'd guess the regular Switchbacks wouldn't have these problems. I'm very preferential to 11 foot gathered end hammocks. Both my Light Owl and WBBB XLC are always comfy for me with no ridge.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Thermarest neo air
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Yes, the Switchback Light Hiker is the only hammock I owned that I had to sell almost immediately because I couldn't dial out the ridge. In addition it was terribly confining with shoulder squeeze with it's narrow width. Top notch quality for sure but I couldn't make that one work for me no matter what I tried. I'd guess the regular Switchbacks wouldn't have these problems. I'm very preferential to 11 foot gathered end hammocks. Both my Light Owl and WBBB XLC are always comfy for me with no ridge.
    I'm glad you posted this regarding the lite hiker. It's a hammock I've always liked and now I'll be sure to research the switchback instead.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Thermarest neo air
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    [QUOTE=Ewker;1254806]I have to agree on bridge hammocks. They are the way to go. Keep a lookout on the boards because you will see warbonnets bridge hammock for sale.
    if you have sewing skills hikingdad has a video on making one

I have just acquired a sewing machine in the last couple of days so I'm slowly working on my skills! DIY seems to be the way to go if you can manage it.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I had a tarp that acquired a ridge down the center line over this winter. I either put it away damp (don't think so) or because I just started rolling it up tight I stretched it. One HF member suggested I soak it and re-hang it to dry - maybe it will re-gain original shape. You might want to try this too - it's easy enough to do and who knows. If you are going to sell it you should wash it anyway.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast