Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOTGUNWILLIE225 View Post
    Whatever the cause is, I'm happy for all the great trips I had with it. It was and is a great hammock just not for me anymore. The three hammocks you suggested are shorter than the WBBB.Maybe that's what I need.
    I know, kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it? Though actually, the Safari is probably close to 12 ft long, don't be faked out by the ridgeline length given in the HH specs, lot of people are. That hammock has more sag and distance under the RL by far than any other hammock I have seen. When I sit in my Explorer, the RL hits the back of my neck. When I sit in the Safari, the RL is probably more than a foot over my head. I can barely reach the RL when laying down.

Glad to see you and your family made it through those storms ok! Mississippi got hit hard.
    Thx! It is pretty darn tore up around here, but amazingly low loss of like and serious injury.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Yes, the Switchback Light Hiker is the only hammock I owned that I had to sell almost immediately because I couldn't dial out the ridge. In addition it was terribly confining with shoulder squeeze with it's narrow width. Top notch quality for sure but I couldn't make that one work for me no matter what I tried. I'd guess the regular Switchbacks wouldn't have these problems. I'm very preferential to 11 foot gathered end hammocks. Both my Light Owl and WBBB XLC are always comfy for me with no ridge.
    Wow! I did not expect that! I guess the only guarantee(for me) for this problem is a bridge, since I have run into this problem with everything else, EDIT: though some are much worse than others.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-09-2014 at 14:51.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1/1.7, WBRR 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/WP +S.fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20+AHJB+DIY
    Suspension
    buckle/whoopie
    So glad I am not the only one who also has this problem with their wbbb. I too am 5 foot 8 inches and 160 lbs. I had calf pain the first night at the mahha. What I did was I put my puffer jacker under my knees, turned to the right slightly, and adjusted myself so my head was around the wb logo or maybe a little higher. I know it took me about 15 min the 2nd night to find that sweet spot. It's there, but just barley.
    My gear load
    lighterpack.com/r/o9iaf

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    I have the switchback, dbl 1.9. no calf ridge and for a 10' hammock it wasn't to bad for laying flat(I am 6'). Darby has posted that ideal hangle is less than 30* though. that made the biggest difference. there was a bit of shoulder squeeze but you can tie out the sides easily. I do love this hammock for using a pad though. makes it feel bombproof from the cold.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    My double switchback has no calf ridge. The only problem I have with it is that my wife stole it from me :angry:
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1/1.7, WBRR 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/WP +S.fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20+AHJB+DIY
    Suspension
    buckle/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by climbing.kevin View Post
    So glad I am not the only one who also has this problem with their wbbb. I too am 5 foot 8 inches and 160 lbs. I had calf pain the first night at the mahha. What I did was I put my puffer jacker under my knees, turned to the right slightly, and adjusted myself so my head was around the wb logo or maybe a little higher. I know it took me about 15 min the 2nd night to find that sweet spot. It's there, but just barley.
    *update:
    I did find that when I hung the foot suspension side ~1 foot higher than the head side along with moving my whole body up higher so my left elbow was at the warbonnet logo, that helped. It reduced the calf pressure. I still needed to wiggle around to find that sweet spot, but it did make it easier. I was able to even curl up into a fetal position when i moved up higher.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by climbing.kevin View Post
    *update:
    I did find that when I hung the foot suspension side ~1 foot higher than the head side along with moving my whole body up higher so my left elbow was at the warbonnet logo, that helped. It reduced the calf pressure. I still needed to wiggle around to find that sweet spot, but it did make it easier. I was able to even curl up into a fetal position when i moved up higher.
    I'm very close to you, 5'9 160lb. I usually find myself with my face next to the WB logo. Foot end higher does make a big difference.

I think your feet have a lot to do with creating the pressure. If you push your heels down and slightly bend your knees, you've feel it immediately. So getting your feet higher and keeping legs at a slight angle really helps so you're "pushing" with your heels more to the side than down.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Although I'm only 5' I noticed the difference (I like a good diagonal lay) between the Switchback LightHiker and the original. Went back to the Original.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Dude, if you want to full time hang, you should strongly consider a proper cotton Brazilian hammock. I hang on mine every night, and whenever I have to sleep on a 'bed' I never get proper sleep. Though I can't comment on the wbbb for I never laid in one, I get a much much better lay on a cotton Brazilian hammock than any camping hammock I have tried.
    I'd rather be hanging.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345