Wilderness Logics Lite Owl 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Thermarest neo air
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Why I'm retiring my WBBB

In September of 2011, after much research and too many hours spent watching Shugs, Caveman and many others videos, I decided to make the switch from tent to hammock. After much consideration I purchased my first hammock, the WBBB! I couldn't have been more excited! Since 2011 and I have used it on countless trips and really grew to love my hammock and hammock camping in general. I have never had an issue with calf ridge or any other common problem many hangers experience. Fast forward to Novemeber 2013. I decided that it was time to hang full time. I bought and installed two eye bolts, the same width and height apart as I always have and began sleeping full time in my hammock. First few nights were great. Then, CALF RIDGE. More like calf-knee-thigh ridge. I couldn't believe it. I had done literally nothing different from all the other times I've hung and had never had an issue. I scoured the internet for a remedy and tried all that I found, but none worked. So, I built the turtle dog stand. Followed the directions exactly. Same thing. First few nights were great. Then, out of no where like before, one night it started happening. Unbelievable, I thought. Again I searched the internet for a remedy I might have missed but couldn't find any I hadn't already tried. I thought, oh well, I'm not having any issues in the woods. Well, I just got back from a long trip and you guessed it, calf ridge the whole trip! Why have you forsaken me Warbonnet!? It makes absolutely no sense to me. Maybe some of you salty dogs on here can explain to me what has happened but for now, it is going into the man cave with the rest of my old gear and I'm buying a new hammock. RIP blackbird. You will always be my first.

Can't explain why it started happening in the woods as well but for my indoor hang I have an S hook in the eyebolts and a loop of paracord in order to get the hang right so it is possible just using the eye bolts didn't provide a comfortable hang and then in the woods it became more of a mental issue or maybe it always was an issue but you didn't notice it because hey you were in the woods and enjoying the experience but inside it is a different story.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Strange indeed. Will you trying an 11' hammock this time and do you have a replacement in mind?
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Thermarest neo air
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ply View Post
    Strange indeed. Will you trying an 11' hammock this time and do you have a replacement in mind?
    I'm a huge Wilderness Logic fanboy so I may go with the snipe or another variation they offer. The tree to tree trail gear lite hiker looks awesome! I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOTGUNWILLIE225 View Post
    I'm a huge Wilderness Logic fanboy so I may go with the snipe or another variation they offer. The tree to tree trail gear lite hiker looks awesome! I'm open to any and all suggestions.
    Pretty sure all TTTG hammocks are 10ft, with no foot box so it will lay shorter than your Blackbird. Could you tell us your height and weight? Maybe you need a longer and wider hammock.

I have a Night owl and a Lite owl if you want to try one.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Thermarest neo air
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    I have a Night owl and a Lite owl if you want to try one.
    My height is 5'8 and I weigh about 160. That would be awesome if you let me try out one of your hammocks. Where are you located?

My height is 5'8 and I weigh about 160. That would be awesome if you let me try out one of your hammocks. Where are you located?
    I'm in Colorado right now, PM me which one you want to try and your address and I'll gget it to you.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Perhaps going full time caused it to stretch a bit, ruining that flat lay and causing the dreaded calf ridge.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Thermarest neo air
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbilly View Post
    Perhaps going full time caused it to stretch a bit, ruining that flat lay and causing the dreaded calf ridge.
    I think you are correct. Never expected that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast