Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Two Person Gathered End...Looking for Advice

So my wife and I have decided that we are probably among that small minority of couples who can sleep snuggled in a hammock. We've laid together in an ENO Doublenest and are certain we could spend the night in it if we had to. It wouldn't be perfect, but it was decent—certainly more comfortable than the ground. Our thought is if it was longer—say 11 or 12 feet—it would be much better for us. I'm not positive about the width. I might keep it at six feet or even narrow it to five.

Here's the current plan: I buy eight yards of fabric (or 16 if we wind up with a double layer) and cut that in half. I start out with a 12'x5' hammock, hang together, and see how we like it. I then re-whip the ends (without cutting it) at 11.5', hang, re-whip at 11', hang, and decide what we like best. If we decide we need more width, I cut strips off the other piece of fabric and sew them onto the sides of the hammock to make it 6' wide, then repeat the whipping exercise until we have the perfect hang. Extra fabric will go to a friend or be used to make another hammock.

Here are my main considerations:
    • Our combined weight is 340 lbs.
    • We're both backpackers, so lightweight is a priority.
    • The budget is pretty tight at the moment, so I'm likely to prioritize saving $40 over saving 4oz. 16oz, however, and I'll take the financial hit.
    • We'll be using foam pads, at least to start. We currently lay on a Ridgerest and a blue foam pad, each cut in half and laid horizontally so we don't have a seam between us. It's pretty comfortable on the ground, as far as closed cell comfort on the ground goes. I'm planning on making a pad extender for this, but I'd be willing to consider a double layer hammock if I could make it work and if the cost wasn't too much over a single layer with a stronger material.

Here are my questions. I appreciate advice on any or all.
    1. Any thoughts on my above plan to figure out the best length/width ratio? Feel free to critique it or offer additional advice.
    2. What material do you think is best for us? I'm leaning toward a single layer, because I think it'll be cheaper. The material of the ENO was comfortable and rated to 400 lbs, so I'd like to find something like that, but I'm open to suggestions. I'd consider a double layer if it wasn't much more expensive and the weight was the same or lighter.
    3. Any suggestions on what suspension system to use or not to use? I'm prioritizing safety first, then weight/bulk, ease of setup, and price.
    4. Feel free to add anything else you think of.

Thank you! I look forward to getting into this!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I wouldn't think of sleeping in a hammock with anyone, though there is a small minority on HF who do so. It kind of defeats the purpose of getting off the ground - you're trading one form of misery for another. With that said, here's my thoughts:

1. Forget single layer - your combined weight is too high. Go with the double layer and that will keep the pads in place better (place between layers).
    2. I'd probably recommend 1.7 oz ripstop, though 1.9 might be more conservative.
    3. Just start with an 11 ft. hammock. You'll have a hard time finding a commercial tarp that can cover a 12 ft. hammock adequately so why bother.
    4. Sewing strips on the sides is going to be a kludgy mess. I doubt making the hammock wider is going to give you a more "perfect hang." Just stick with 60" wide and if you find you're not comfortable with two in a hammock, then do the logical thing and each of you get your own hammock. You could tinker for ever trying to perfect the ideal two-person hammock, adding strips and such, only to conclude that two-person hammocks are not ideal. I know several big-box companies use this as a selling point, but it's just marketing.
    5. I'd advise 1/8" Amsteel whoopie slings, just for safety's sake. You might be able to get by with 7/64" Amsteel but I wouldn't risk it.

Personally, I'd advise you make tablecloth hammocks from tableclothsfactory.com. I own about eight hammocks and the tablecloth hammocks are my favorite. They come in two sizes: 60" x 126" and 90"x 132".

http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/ta...shes-s/132.htm

http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/ta...shes-s/136.htm

You can get the tablecloths for really cheap. I think I paid $12.99 each when I bought three of the 60" wide ones. You'll probably be interested in the 90" width.

Whipping hammocks, to me, is a black art with not necessarily repeatable results. I prefer sewn channels (triple stitched) with Amsteel continuous loops through the channels. Unlike whipping, there is absolutely no right way or wrong way to do it. It's a consistent lay every time - no fiddling.

I know folks who are 350 lbs. who have slept in a single layer tablecloth hammock for nights on end without worries, though I'd be inclined to use a DL at that weight. The polyester crinkle taffeta material is quite comfy with little to no stretch (some find this a good thing; some find it a bad thing).

Good luck!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You might also investigate the use of spreader bars, which allow two people to lie side-by-side in their own hammocks and share a tarp.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Might want to consider a triple layer depending on the fabric. I agree with SlvrSufr to leave the width at the 60" mark or what ever the width of the fabric is you are working with.

Best of luck and pictures of the finished project.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Tablecloths for diy are available in 156x90" and are an inexpensive way (sub $20) to check out setups.

You don't have to re-whip the ends, just zip tie or use a descender ring (or something similar) to bunch the fabric at various points.

6' 4" guy lounging out in a 156x90 TC

Here is a 132x90" with a couple urchins doing the side by side but I've had 2 adults be able to do the same thing.
    There is enough fabric to pull a bit up in the center and actually create two virtual hammocks.

And here's my nephew and guest sharing a Byers Double.

Last edited by Ratdog; 05-07-2014 at 22:24.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

I built my wife and I a sewn channel DL tablecloth hammock. We used the 90x156 crinkle taffeta.and it is great sleeping for a complete night is a challenge if you move around at all. We love to cuddle but in the hammock there is no other choice but the bad part is if someone needs to move you both do. The 90" is wider than needed it could easily be cut down to 72" but wouldn't like it at 60". I am considering a small spreader bar but with the length its not necessary
    Last edited by ratrodder69; 05-07-2014 at 21:56.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Nice pics, Ratdog! Though two people in a hammock still looks uncomfortable.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Nice pics, Ratdog! Though two people in a hammock still looks uncomfortable.
    I think the young folks could pull it off but me, I have enough trouble sleeping 2 hammocks side by side under one tarp. I hate getting bumped in the middle of the night when she moves around.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Thanks, everyone!

I get that two people in a hammock is going to be uncomfortable for most. I think it's going to work for us though, laying asymetrically and snuggled up. If it doesn't, it was worth the try, and we'll already have one hammock built.

For those advocating the tablecloth material: How much do those weigh? I was under the impression that those weren't really lightweight.

I'm away from home right now, but I'll try to respond more in depth later.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Depends on what you mean by lightweight for a two-person hammock. The 60"x126" weighs 14.5 ounces to my recollection.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast