Question Another mummy bag to TQ conversion idea/query....

The situation:
    I've been quite absent for a while on here, mostly because I've not had any questions or new ideas to post for you nice folks...
    However, I've got a trip coming up, and i'm loaning out my larger setup, and will have to use my summer set up (GT Nano7 and accessories)
    It's getting down to 48*, so I'll need insulation.
    My issue with the Nano7 is my heels barely stay in the hammock, so a UQ is pretty much not an option (it pulls the hammock off your feet); I've cut down a Therm a rest RidgeRest Solar, and it's gonna work nicely...

FOR TOP INSULATION, I just ordered a Snugpak Sleeper Lite, since i only have a 0* mummy bag for the winter and a light top quilt for summer use...
    My question is such:
    Given the limited real estate of the nano7, I'd like to make the Snugpak a "Hybrid" TQ, by simply splitting it down the back from the nape of my neck to the middle of my thighs, that way I don't have to lay it out and sit on it just right (especially with a pad, too...)...
    Has anyone done one like this? Does it work?
    i've looked at some of the TQ conversions, and I've not seen one where they left the hood attached behind the head... I'd just leave it zipped up, and put it on like a TQ, then pull the hood behind my head and pretty much be in a mummy bag...
    Jimmy

Here's the coffin-cut thermarest, BTW. Rolls small, lays nicely... doesn't ruin anything.
    547AFA9A-B1DE-4BA0-B252-B75F218DA139_zpsnttok5sy.jpg
    Jimmy

Ok, so I did it; it works. Really well.
    Below are pics of the bag mod, but I didn't get any in-use...
    I didn't use the Nano7 after all, but my GT Skeeter Beeter.
    All you do is get situated, pull the bag on just like a TQ, then duck your shoulder and head into the hole, get all the way in, and pull it under your body on the sides. no zipping required!
    Who knew a rear-entry mummy bag would be so convenient! Still good to use for go-to-ground situations, too.
    This bag is rated for 32*, and It got about 45* and rainy the coldest night; this, with the "bobbed" thermarest seen above kept me toasty.
    I guess you could do this with literally any mummy bag you wanted!

Here's the top of the bag, pretty normal. you can see how high to the hood i cut, through the face hole. you'll need to go almost to where your head lays:
    7B575AB8-BA91-4B8A-9E63-D38E0C8C423B_zpsqtybfzqd.jpg

Here's the back; sewed 2 lines about 1/2" apart, cut between em, and bound the seams with ribbon (shiny, not grosgrain, it'd be too stiff/rough)
    F3B6383A-E03E-410F-B19A-9C19D3D128CD_zpsbzkitlzi.jpg
    Jimmy

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    KAQ, UGQ
    That is pretty clever! I really like that idea. =)

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    clever idea indeed! few questions though....is the pad in the hammock before you get in, and you put the sleeping bag/tq on you while sitting in hammock?

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    That's a really good idea! Nice work and thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer ultralight
    Tarp
    JacksRBetter 10x12
    Insulation
    HH supershelter
    Suspension
    ENO atlas straps
    definitely pretty cool! I do have a question, though: why do this rather than just use the mummy bag zipper to get in and out of it? What do you benefit? (yeah, I'm apparently a bit slow and green as to all things hammock, so I'd appreciate it if you bear with me! )
    "If dogs don't go to heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Wag More, Bark Less.

Come over to the dark side... we have cookies!

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by etsisk View Post
    definitely pretty cool! I do have a question, though: why do this rather than just use the mummy bag zipper to get in and out of it? What do you benefit? (yeah, I'm apparently a bit slow and green as to all things hammock, so I'd appreciate it if you bear with me! )
    I did this same mod to my green USGI mummy bag; before; I had a problem with it bunching up on the back side, and not being able to pull it all the way around me to button up; (center button/zip) due to the pad being in the bag already...so after doing this mod and trying it out, I can say this is so much more convenient..... you can leave it zipped up, and with the hole on the back side, you can put it on like pants, then tuck yourself in, and lay back...... or you can put it on top first (head side) and then tuck your legs into the foot end, and this also allows you to lay whichever way you want, just by rotating the bag around before laying, easier with the top part already on you before you put your legs in, I've found.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer ultralight
    Tarp
    JacksRBetter 10x12
    Insulation
    HH supershelter
    Suspension
    ENO atlas straps
    thanks!

plus extra letters
    "If dogs don't go to heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Wag More, Bark Less.

Come over to the dark side... we have cookies!

• + New Posts