Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    I enjoy the rain. -snip- One evening I heard the approaching storm and headed to the hammock early. The worst lightening storm I had seen in 6 summers in Maine. It was fantastic and awe inspiring...
    What are the chances of getting a lightning strike in a wet hammock hanging between two wet trees in an electrical storm? Can the risk be countered with an earth strap or something?

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    After the initial post, I went out this weekend for a quick trip to test out the new Superfly. Sadly, it didn't get wet - storms were predicted, but never happened. I still had a great hang, but kind of sad about the lack of rain....
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    When I am laying in my hammock hearing the rain, I have an overwhelming sense of satisfaction. I know at that place, at that time, there is no other place I would rather be.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I love the challenge of camping in the rain. It's one of the best sleeps I can get.
    Olddog mentioned the Sherpa hang. That was a soaker and I loved it under 3 tarps set up for all in South Florida. It also makes water collection a breeze.
    Also, it seems to rain everytime we hike out to Hidden Pond in Ocala, FL.

Last Summer, when a tropical storm was set to hit Volusia County, FL, I just had to go out in the back yard. I slept 5 straight nights in the hammock with the first 2 nights having strong winds and rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Windowlicker View Post
    What are the chances of getting a lightning strike in a wet hammock hanging between two wet trees in an electrical storm? Can the risk be countered with an earth strap or something?
    Maybe Shug will stroll on by and show you his video of himself and Hickory in the Linville Gorge during a beautiful lightning storm. Best line(from Hickory)- "It only hurts if you live". Classic.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Camping in the rain is great, especially the part about not laying on the ground in a flooded t**t.

Hiking in the rain not so much, it tends to drain my energy sooner and my feet don't hold up as well when they're soaked for long periods.

A set of video's a friend and I have wanted to make for a while now is how we setup/tear down in a significant rain. We've both agreed that this is a key skill to have for keeping your gear dry and making your trip more enjoyable.

David

The Lowcountry - SC (previously Boston, MA)
    Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Slings, Dutchware
    The rain in the Northeast this weekend is likely going to kill my planned trip to the White Mountains. Rain all weekend with heavy rain Saturday, the day I would be tagging multiple 4,000 footers.

I normally wouldn't cancel a trip based on a little rain, but this seems like a constant rain all weekend, with ice and slush still on the trail.

Would certainly be an adventure. Just ready for a nice, sunny spring hike like a lot of folks in the colder areas of the country, I'm sure.
    fishwater youtube channel: Check out my channel to see backpacking in New England

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234