Hennessy Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3 UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Images

Hammock Camping in County Parks

Hi all... new hanger here.

Finally picked up a HH Expedition Asym Zip and looking forward to camping with my son & his scout troop this weekend and just noticed the Park Rules listed "DO NOT attach anything to the trees".

That obviously doesn't apply to me of course.

Seriously though. Is this common elsewhere? (I'm in Southern California in Riverside County).
    Is it typically a strict policy to keep people from tying ropes to the trees where I'm using webbing to help distribute the weight so as not to disturb the bark...

Or am I going to be relegated to using the tent again and missing a chance to hang?

Thanks All.

Hammock
    GT SB ,GT double, Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Go to the DIY section of this forum, then click on "The TurtleDog Stand" thread. I built two, they are super easy to make and IMHO cheap to build.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDaveL View Post
    Hi all... new hanger here.

Finally picked up a HH Expedition Asym Zip and looking forward to camping with my son & his scout troop this weekend and just noticed the Park Rules listed "DO NOT attach anything to the trees".

That obviously doesn't apply to me of course.

Seriously though. Is this common elsewhere? (I'm in Southern California in Riverside County).
    Is it typically a strict policy to keep people from tying ropes to the trees where I'm using webbing to help distribute the weight so as not to disturb the bark...

Or am I going to be relegated to using the tent again and missing a chance to hang?

Thanks All.

The quick answer is 'maybe, maybe not' as to hanging. The answer is just plain NO to tents..., no how, no way!!

Some people feel that it's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask in advance and be turned down so they'll set up and take their chances. Others use the asking for permission as an educational opportunity to show the park staff that there is a safe way.

Me, I just carry a stand that I can use if the rules are clear and the staff adamant or if there are no suitable trees are to be found. I can use one tree and a stand or in the absence of any suitable trees I can hang from the mini van (not the roof racks) and the stand.

Backcountry, I know I can always find two trees, front country, I'm taking my chances. I find more times than not, the park has cleared so many trees out of a campground to make way for the 50' RV's that there are no longer that many trees to choose from.

Our local provincial park leaves the trees between the campsites and then makes a rule that you're not supposed to be in the treed area cause it's not inside the campsite designated area...sigh!!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    You might want to inquire as to the exact meaning of the rules. "Do not attach..." could mean don't put up anything that can not be removed without hurting the tree. So Screw eyes and hooks are out and IMO rightfully so. But proper tree straps do not harm the tree when removed. So is that "attaching"? The only definitive answer to that will come from the person responsible for administering the rules. Of course, if there are more than one person who falls into that category you may have multiple interpretations to deal with.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3 UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Images
    Thanks for the responses all. I tend to agree that "attaching" something to a tree is different than carefully wrapping webbing around it which distributes the load and can easily be removed without harming the tree. I ended up adding a small towel to each tree under the webbing in addition... just in case a ranger came by. But noone bugged me. Turned out to be a really comfortable lay, albeit quite cold & windy. Next up... an underquilt... and longer straps. The stock 42" webbing from Hennessy just isn't enough for the thicker trees in the campsite I went to.

Hammock.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB/ENO DN
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    Pad
    Images
    What park were you in?

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3 UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Images
    Hurkey Creek in Mountain Center, CA (between Hemet & Idyllwild)
    http://www.rivcoparks.org/parks/hurkey/hurkey-creek/

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Stock
    Suspension
    Stock
    I am on the other side of the country but was planning a bike tour to Delaware. Their policy also stated that you could not attach anything to the trees. I called the park ahead of the trip and they said it did not apply to hammocks.

• + New Posts