Dutchware PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Sipsey Wilderness questions

I plan on making a trip out that way in the next month or so. I'll be going for two nights, Starting at the Borden trailhead, going down 200, 209, 206, 208, and 207 back to the trail head. This is roughly 25 miles. Will this route show me all of my expectations of the area; waterfalls, rocky outcrops, stream crossings, and such? Would there be a better alternative route that's about the same length? I chose this path because these people http://www.sipseywilderness.org rate those trails very highly in terms of scenic value and camping opportunities.

How well are the trails marked? Can I expect to see large reflective markers nailed to trees and wooden signs indicating where trails start and branch from one another, or do I just have to follow the path as best as I can?

Is this area popular with hikers, or can I do this completely naked?

I also found a detailed trail map of the place from 2001. It's the only decent map I could find. Anyone have something more up-to-date, or know if this one is reliable? http://www.briartech.com/sipseyonepagea.pdf

Images
    That will for sure cover a lot of it. As for waterfalls, you will pass a bunch, or close to them, but it will depend on how much it has been raining recently and some you will have to detour a bit off the trail, same with the creek crossings: might be nearly dry or life threatening! I have seen water falls look like Niagra or like a lawn hose turned on at a trickle, same falls! If you head down 200 on the east side of Borden, be prepared to do a short crawl through a cave, probably dragging your pack, at a spot called Fat Man's Squeeze. Once you get on 209 heading ~ west, note when you come to the intersection of Bee Branch. Especially if water is flowing good, take the trouble to hike north on the east side of Bee Branch, then stay east/north east where east Bee Branch comes in, and follow E. Bee up to Bee branch Falls. I think the Big Tree is also in this area, but I'm not seeing it on the map you have, which is overall a very good map. Also, near the junction of 209/206, look for Ship Rock/Eye of the Needle. A lot of that 208 may just be a relatively unscenic(by comparison to the canyons) stroll through the woods, but you have to get back some way if you don't want to go back the same way.

You can hike naked I suppose, but I have occasionally come up on big troops of scouts on 209! You meet folks now and then, probably more on weekends.

Which one/where is 207?

Good luck, have fun! Good camps everywhere! Check water levels here(currently fairly high to average. More water=better waterfalls and more challenging creek crossings):
    http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/n...te_no=02450250
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-10-2014 at 21:42.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20*
    Did basically this same trip about a week ago except backward from your plan. We included 210 in our loop. From the time you leave the Thompson Creek parking area on 208 till you get to the creek crossing at Braziel Creek water will be scarce to non-existent.

Hammock
    Dutchware PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Which one/where is 207?
    It runs from the Gum Pond Trailhead to the Borden Trailhead, following Braziel Creek as it winds south.. it's listed as 207 on the SipseyWilderness.org website, but shows as just being the southern half of 210 on the Briartech.com map.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge UL
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRBShenado& MtWash
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Sipsy Trip report

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jowee View Post
    I plan on making a trip out that way in the next month or so. I'll be going for two nights, Starting at the Borden trailhead, going down 200, 209, 206, 208, and 207 back to the trail head. This is roughly 25 miles. Will this route show me all of my expectations of the area; waterfalls, rocky outcrops, stream crossings, and such? Would there be a better alternative route that's about the same length? I chose this path because these people http://www.sipseywilderness.org rate those trails very highly in terms of scenic value and camping opportunities.

How well are the trails marked? Can I expect to see large reflective markers nailed to trees and wooden signs indicating where trails start and branch from one another, or do I just have to follow the path as best as I can?

Is this area popular with hikers, or can I do this completely naked?

I also found a detailed trail map of the place from 2001. It's the only decent map I could find. Anyone have something more up-to-date, or know if this one is reliable? http://www.briartech.com/sipseyonepagea.pdf
    I recently hiked Sipsy starting at the Sipsy Trailhead and covering 209, 204, 201, and 202. I believe 209 and 206 are the main trails for waterfalls and stream crossings. The stream crossing at 200/209 was no more than knee high but the online river gauge (http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?02450250) would suggest that it rises quickly after a good rain. I don't recall seeing a single blaze the whole time but there were a handful of wooden signs with trail numbers at key intersections. As for following the path, they are well worn so you won't get lost but there are several undocumented trails and the trail often splits along the river and they run parallel for 100-200 feet. We never had an issue with picking the wrong trail as they always rejoined. If you chose to hiked 204A to catch the waterfalls, it is noted as unmaintained on most maps and that would be accurate was found 30+ deadfall trees to climb under/over. The waterfall at the end was decent but not sure it was worth the effort. As for popularity, the parking lot was empty when we arrived Friday morning and was packed when we came out Sunday morning. We only saw one hiker on Friday, less than 10 on Saturday, and 30+ on Sunday. It appears to be very popular for overnight hiking so the campsites closest to the trailheads are heavily used.

Hammock
    WBBB, GT UL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    3S Yeti, HG Inncub
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good source for information on the Sipsey can be found here http://www.sipseywilderness.org/
    "Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations"

• + New Posts