Cloudburst Tarp Guy Line Lengths?

Hey, y'all,

Recently bought a Cloudburst tarp and was wondering what lengths (ridgeline, sides, and tie-outs) y'all use for your guy lines?

Bought 75' of Lash-It from Dutch and, while I'm sure it's enough for the RL and sides, I'm doubting it's enough to cover the tie-outs, too.

Any and all help comes much appreciated!

-E

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush
    Suspension
    HF Strap Anchor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHuUmNOwBAw This will show you all you need to know...

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    I searched through old threads some time ago to answer the same question and came up with this concensus (more or less)...

Continuous Ridgeline = 30'-35'
    Noncontinuous Ridgeline = 12' for each end
    Panel Pulls = 12' if both panel pulls on each side are guyed-out together
    Guylines = 4'-6'
    Doors = 4'

This pretty much corresponds with Brandon's suggestions in his Basic Tarp Setup video in which he uses the Superfly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHuUmNOwBAw

Dangit!

That's where I'd heard it!!! I'd watched Brandon's tarp setup video a few times before, and knew I'd seen or heard someplace how much line was suggested. I just couldn't remember the source for the life of me.

Really appreciative y'all replied!

So, actually, if I've got 75 feet (and correct me if I'm wrong):

NONCONTINUOUS RL (gotta use those Dutch Wasps I bought someplace!): 12' X 2 = 24'
    PANEL PULLS (each side guyed-out together): 12' X 2 = 24'
    GUYLINES (one per bottom outer corner): 6' X 4 = 24"

TOTAL: 72'

Well, if that's the case, I've got some dumb luck on my side, because that's about perfect given the amount of Lash-It I've bought.

Now, when you say "guyed-out together," are you tying both ends of that 12' length to each of the pull out loops, and pulling it back from there (in a "V" shape) to stake down? Or is there another way to go about it? I toyed-around over the weekend using cheap p-cord in the backyard, and if there's a more conservative way of accomplishing those pull-outs without a crap-ton of line, I'm all ears.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    skinnerback an 1csleptonkayak have given great advise both visually and written. The only thing I would add is that I used some of the Lash It to create Prusik Knots that I tied directly on the plastic loops of the tarp. Then I ran my tie out guy lines through the Prusik to make adjustment very easy while standing under the tarp and staying dry from the rain. It probably adds some slight weight for each Prusik but it does make life simple for someone just getting off the ground. Here is a Video that shows what I am explaining. http://youtu.be/-xkCEX1bmWg
    And yes, the panel pull 12ft ends are tied to the panel loops and a 6ft piece is tied to the center point and pulled over a stick and down to a tie out stake in the ground. I created these pieces and used a total of 100 ft of Lash-It before I realized the Edge doesn't have side pull outs! Rookie that I am!!
    Last edited by gbolt; 05-12-2014 at 21:05.

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Labanauskas View Post
    Now, when you say "guyed-out together," are you tying both ends of that 12' length to each of the pull out loops, and pulling it back from there (in a "V" shape) to stake down? Or is there another way to go about it? I toyed-around over the weekend using cheap p-cord in the backyard, and if there's a more conservative way of accomplishing those pull-outs without a crap-ton of line, I'm all ears.
    You can attach both ends of the 12 feet lengths to the pull-outs and attach another 6 ft length in the middle to stake it out (like Brandon does), or run separate lengths to one stake/pole/stick. I actually use braided (not twisted) mason's line for my panel pulls and lash-it for the rest. If you do end up short (you'd have to get more efficient for 72 feet to get you through a bad storm), mason's line is much cheaper and plenty strong enough to fill in where you think you might not need the added strength of lash-it. There are an infinite number of ways to go about this, I'm sure you've discovered by now - and there's probably not much functional difference between most of them. Start off with a suggested method to get you going and, if not satisfied, you can mod until you don't leave time to get out and hike .

Thanks for the advice, y'all. Gonna head home tonight and cut lengths for the ridgeline and side lines, and - like one of ya suggested - defer to a cheaper cordage for the tie-outs.

Taking this tarp with on a tent camping trip (buys us a little more dry space) and at least with those lines in place, I'll be able to give it a proper hang.

Will say, though, those pull-outs make a huge difference in expanding the interior space and I'm very glad to have them!

• + New Posts