Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Explore
    Suspension
    Single Point!
    Images

Lightbulb Single Point Suspension.

Hey guy thought I'd share this with you as it took me a few weeks to get it working right.
    IMG_4769.jpg

That is carbon fiber poles(not cheap). Pole specs: they are all 24"L and the OD as follows; 1.1" 1.35" 1.6" 1.35" 1.1". They collapse into each other leaving you with 2 poles(one pole with 2 in it and the other pole with 1 in it). Which if my math is right the smallest pole(1.1") if it was the full length and the ends were fixed will hold like 380 pounds( I forgot the real and don't care to do the math again) and they get bigger as it move to the center(where the most strain would be). I weigh 135 and it held me jumping...as much as one can jump from a setting position Almost forgot, the poles weigh about 2 pounds!

Then there's this...
    IMG_4767.jpg
    It lets you throw a rope over a tree and then pull your hammock up while you are in it! As far as I know it's a custom knot/hitch thing, It uses a Bachmann Knot, It's an ascender knot so you can pull up and the let go and grab higher and so on. I can expound on that more if need be? The point is you can pull yourself up as high as you want, and then pull on another rope to lower yourself back down and if you and as soon as you stop pulling on that rope you"ll stop again

All of this allows you to hang a hammock with just one high point(that can hold your weight).

Any Questions feel free to ask. I'm thinking about selling these if ppl are interested? carbon fiber cost about $250!

So why did I come up with this? 2 reasons. One: I went backpacking and couldn't find and trees closer the 50' slept on the ground that night. Two: the first time I went backpacking I had to chase a bear from my campsite and at about 4am a bunch(for the sound) of coyotes I'm guessing killed something about 100' from where I was sleeping So I now refer to the height the hammock put me as buffet height I woke up once to a deer looking down at me from 10' away... seeing a deer is great like that, but knowing that a bear just come up and smell my face and see what I had to eat that night make me a little uncomfortable.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GarrettCook; 05-13-2014 at 17:44.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    There's a different take on suspending a hammock!

Now we just can hang a few from the same tree and call it, "Hammock Wind Chimes."
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Now you need to incorporate a cambium/friction saver as used by arborists to protect the limb from the sawing action of the loaded line as you raise and lower the setup.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Interesting setup. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Explore
    Suspension
    Single Point!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Now you need to incorporate a cambium/friction saver as used by arborists to protect the limb from the sawing action of the loaded line as you raise and lower the setup.
    I use flat rope. Going up or down for one night isn't going to hurt it that much. If you use a round rope I'm not sure how you'd do it with out something like that, as round rope would cut in and make the pulling yourself up almost impossible.

Thanks for the input

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    interesting, but myself being a big guy i would rather trust the trunk of the tree rather then henging all of my weirght off of one branch, but thats just me,,,

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Explore
    Suspension
    Single Point!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    interesting, but myself being a big guy i would rather trust the trunk of the tree rather then henging all of my weirght off of one branch, but thats just me,,,
    That my friend is the one of the cool things about this Throw your rope over the branch next to the trunk and tie it off on the trunk(so it's almost as strong as your tree) take the other end and tie it off on another tree or some kind of anchor and then just put a figure 8 loop in the rope between your tree and anchor point how ever high and far away from the tree you want. Just use the figure 8 loop as your pully point

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    When you get a chance, can you post some other pictures of this showing the suspention points up on the tree??,,, this could be a great set up if you are in bear country, get way up out of the way,, just dont forget where you are in the middle of the night.
    Last edited by Zilla; 05-13-2014 at 11:36.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Explore
    Suspension
    Single Point!
    Images
    IMG_4760.jpg
    Is that what you're asking about? sorry the pic isn't that great, the sun is really bright!
    Or were you asking for a pic of the way I was just talking about in reply to you?

Funny you should say bear country, I just edited my post to include why I came up with it... that being one of the reasons.

Another thing, I keep the release rope on the other side of my hammock. I have a Hennessy that's a zip so there's a bug net to keep me from just grabbing the wrong one and a net to keep me from trying any sleepwalking

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    This is screaming "video!"
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation