Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiDelt496 View Post
    The GSMNP is by far the most visited of the National Parks. Not to mention that the busiest long distance trail runs right through the park. The Park Service is charged with BOTH preserving the Natural Ecosystem of the park AND ensuring that each visitor is granted safe access to enjoy this ecosystem. When you factor in the sheer number of annual visitors this task is monumental.

Take a look at some unregulated trails and campsites...it is often chaos and can destroy the enjoyment of the natural area. This is why backcountry campsites must be strictly regulated. Also, since the park service is charged with the safety of those enjoying the parks, it is imperative for them to know non-thru hikers overnight plans to help the park service formulate possible locations of missing hikers. This is the primary reason that shelter reservations take priority over thru hikers.

The other reason for this policy is two fold. First, thru-hikers are responsible for understanding these policies and knowing them prior to their trip. They understand that if they do run across a full shelter, they need to have an alternative plan (pitch a tent or hike on to the next shelter or back to the previous). Non-thruhikers must also be aware of these policies; however, they are offered much less flexibility in terms of arrangements. If they reserve a shelter space for the night, then they will often not carry a shelter in with them and they do not have the option of hiking on to another shelter.

I have to say that the Park Service in the Smokies does a great job maintaining the parks and areas as well as fighting overcrowding of the backcountry. I understand why the policy is a burden to thru-hikers, but just because someone is a "thru-hiker" doesnt mean that the rest of the park must yield to them.
    I agree completely that the parks service is looking out for everyone and concede there is no easy answer to the concerns. Just didn't seem to offer the level of flexibility for me to hike my own hike. The choice is mine to make and I made it based on my understanding of the situation after carefully reading, rereading and consulting other who have recently hiked the AT through this area. It's still a treasure, still got awesome people working their hearts out to keep it a treasure for all of us. I understand the reasons. Just not a fan of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    True. Some folks just look for reasons to get their panties in a wad. When I "thru-hiked" the GSMNP in '05, some shelters were full and AT thru-hikers were hammocking. Hammocks are allowed just as tents are. Registering is nothing new. I had to and had no problem doing it. The only new thing is the fee, and it's miniscule in the scheme of things. I spend a lot more on gas getting there than that little fee.

Rain Man

Might want to slow your roll just a notch. No wadded panties here, even with me wearing a kilt. I have no problem with the fee or even the registration of shelter choice. Just desired a little more flexibility in how I hiked the park. I'm a worry wort about the difference between what I think I can do and what I can actually do, both to a positive and negative position as far as miles are concerned. No easy answers and we can all just get along.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    True. Some folks just look for reasons to get their panties in a wad. When I "thru-hiked" the GSMNP in '05, some shelters were full and AT thru-hikers were hammocking. Hammocks are allowed just as tents are. Registering is nothing new. I had to and had no problem doing it. The only new thing is the fee, and it's miniscule in the scheme of things. I spend a lot more on gas getting there than that little fee.

Rain Man

Yep I did it in 1983 and advanced shelter reservations were required and yes you had to stay in the shelter listed on your reservation. Funny how so many are bitching about this as if it was just implemented yesterday. Hikers have been coping with the requirements for over thirty years.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    Yep I did it in 1983 and advanced shelter reservations were required and yes you had to stay in the shelter listed on your reservation. Funny how so many are bitching about this as if it was just implemented yesterday. Hikers have been coping with the requirements for over thirty years.
    I get that my opinion is obviously in the minority, however politely I tried to put it. I'm restricted by the TOS from responding to the name calling innuendos being dangled here and yonder. Believe me it's a challenge not to flame out. Might we just agree to disagree about the policy and leave the flaming venom out of it? Times change and peoples opinions of use for the park change. Not right or wrong. Just a process. Others seem to feel strongly enough about it to file a lawsuit, however useless that may prove to be. Memorial Day is very soon. My dad served to reserve the right to an opinion, however unpopular it may be, for all of us. No need to be...well, darn it I done said more than I should anyway. I'm out of it.

Pax!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    LOL what's a shelter? Holiday Inn Express for me. Glad I'm not close to/familiar/tempted to stay in one. I get into the woods to be...in the woods. As far as fees, I'm OK with them as long as they're reasonable. These sound reasonable to me. I always wonder and hope the funds are being used appropriately too.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I think that most of the comments here have not been directed at you, but towards the misinformation that the OP started out with. This kind of jumping to conclusions and regurgitating this causes confusion and could keep someone from understanding what they are supposed to know when planning a trip.

Now, I appreciate that you would like more flexibility for your trip planning, but making statements like "hike my own hike" conveys a disregard for others that use the services provided by the park. I think that is why you did begin to catch some flack. I try not to be negative and apologize if I was. I just dont like inconsideration in the back country. If you were to say that I dont hike in the Smokies because of all of the rules and regulations, i would respect that.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I thought about a couple of examples of faulty campsite reservation management that I do find issue with. Rain Man can probably speak to both of these as well.

1. Longhunter State Park in Nashville has two campsites that require permits and are on a "first come-first serve" basis. However, you have to show up to the park office in person the day of your planned visit to obtain a permit. The issue here is that they do allow multi-night stays so someone could show up on Friday and camp the whole weekend. This causes major issues with planning groups to stay at this park. I have argued the issues with this policy many times with the rangers and have always been able to come to an agreeable arrangement. But we should not have to negotiate and beg to get a camp permit. A simple day planner that one can call and reserve a site within a set timeframe would be much better for the enjoyment of all. There is nothing worse than showing up to the park office loaded and ready to go and find out that you cannot get a permit. I even offered to buy the day planner and donate it to the park if they would use it...no luck.

2. Virgin Falls State Pocket Wilderness -- this one is a free-for-all no permit necessary situation. You could get back there and setup only to have a rather unseemly bunch setup right next to you. I was very lucky that last time we were able to setup and share camp with a very nice couple of ladies who were quite nice and quiet.

I guess that the point I am trying to make is that there is no perfect solution to this, but in comparison the National Park service does a great job and has implemented the best system I have seen for regulating the backcountry.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiDelt496 View Post
    I think that most of the comments here have not been directed at you, but towards the misinformation that the OP started out with. This kind of jumping to conclusions and regurgitating this causes confusion and could keep someone from understanding what they are supposed to know when planning a trip.

Now, I appreciate that you would like more flexibility for your trip planning, but making statements like "hike my own hike" conveys a disregard for others that use the services provided by the park. I think that is why you did begin to catch some flack. I try not to be negative and apologize if I was. I just dont like inconsideration in the back country. If you were to say that I dont hike in the Smokies because of all of the rules and regulations, i would respect that.
    I had this nice explanation of what I meant by hike my own hike. Suffice it to say, because I won't break the rules in place and I can't feel comfortable hiking that area not knowing it that intimately nor knowing what my abilities will be in that scenario, I felt it best to avoid it. Just want out of this conversation because it just can't seem to be done civilly.

Pax!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I'm pretty sure everyone posting here understands the HF rules and the expected atmosphere, but just in case....

"II. Be Respectful. This is not negotiable. We treat each other with respect at Hammock Forums. This is a great community where the norm is to support others in their ideas and projects (including respectful critiques), and not assume offense where none is intended...and therefore not to flame, call names, or create friction in our threads. It's often easy to get frustrated over someone's post and type a quick reply to "set them straight." If the original post is out of line and the follow-up is calm and respectful, then it is appropriate for well-established members to help newbies learn our norms. However, we will not show a lack of respect for each other. Disagreement is fine; disrespectful behavior is not. Please make it easier on the community and police your own posts. Since intent is hard to gauge on the internet, please start by giving the benefit of the doubt if the post is not clearly offensive."

No response to my post is needed, simply carry on with respect. Thanks.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    DD my posts were in NO WAY directed at you. As a matter of fact I had not even read your posts when I posted and I certainly did not intend to offend you. I did not resort to calling anyone NAMES either. I was just responding to the implication of the OP that the registration system was something that the Park Service had sprung upon the hiking community. As I said it has been in existence for a long time and with good reason. The AT in the Smokies is mostly a giant ditch because of the traffic. By requiring reservations at the shelters along it and requiring stay at only the shelters they are able to control the volume of foot traffic on it for the betterment of you, me and everyone else. I have done the Smokies twice and it was not a hassle or inconvenience and was well worth it.

If I offended you I truly am sorry and to the rest of the HF community I apologize if I have been out of line.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    DD my posts were in NO WAY directed at you. As a matter of fact I had not even read your posts when I posted and I certainly did not intend to offend you. I did not resort to calling anyone NAMES either. I was just responding to the implication of the OP that the registration system was something that the Park Service had sprung upon the hiking community. As I said it has been in existence for a long time and with good reason. The AT in the Smokies is mostly a giant ditch because of the traffic. By requiring reservations at the shelters along it and requiring stay at only the shelters they are able to control the volume of foot traffic on it for the betterment of you, me and everyone else. I have done the Smokies twice and it was not a hassle or inconvenience and was well worth it.

If I offended you I truly am sorry and to the rest of the HF community I apologize if I have been out of line.
    Agreed on all points and understood. My apologies if I got it wrong from your end as well and to others. Geez, feel like we should hold hands and sing Cum by ya or something. It's all good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast