Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Tablecloth
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Typical distance between hammock and cooking area?

Hi - I did a search but didn't find a definitive discussion of this. I'm wondering how far/close folks typically set up the hammock from/to the stove/cooking area. I've seen some discussion that it should be 200 feet to keep the critters away from the hammock but I've also seen pictures/videos of stoves right next to the hammock. HH has a video showing how their hammocks can be used as 'lounge' chairs while stirring a pot on a stove. Do people usually separate sleeping from cooking areas and if so, by how much?
    Thank you
    Robin

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    It really depends on the area you're in and the animals you may have to deal with. In bear country I try to maintain some discipline and keep food, kitchen and toiletry supplies away and hung.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Small group in primitive campground with only a fire spot (not even a ring, sometimes), I have made supper under my tarp in the rain. Other than that, food next to the fire area, bearbag hung there or far from me or fire area.

Large group, established designated fire area with 100+ hanger at the Annual Florida hang. Well, food everywhere around the main camp and any extra in the cars. At night, all food goes into cars, of course.

If you want a book, clinical answer, etc. you hang 100+ feet upwind side of kitchen area (smells go away from you) and 100+ feet from any water source. Keep the water source also 100+ feet from you and kitchen in a triangle.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    If I am solo in bear country, which I always am, I put 100 yards between the kitchen & the hammock. In a large group I will relax that down to 100 feet.

But for breakfast, I have no problem cooking that at my hammock site as I will be packing up as my breakfast cooks, and then I'm off.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Tablecloth
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks, very helpful. Particularly helpful to think about the differences between essentially 'base camp' and temporary camp (and base camp becomes temporary on the day of departure). Now this makes more sense.
    Robin

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Best practice for me (which I actually use about 5% of the time) is to stop and cook dinner about 5 o'clock, and then get in another hour of hiking before I make camp, but bears aren't much of a problem where they're actively hunted. West Virginia is much safer than, say, New Jersey.

Hammock
    Tablecloth
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Another great idea. Although I can imagine after a long day's hike and a full belly that it could be hard to lace the boots back up get back out there. But a great way to put distance between the kitchen and sleeping quarters. Thanks!
    Robin

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter 12'
    Insulation
    PappyAmos Special
    Suspension
    Dutchware Spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Best practice for me (which I actually use about 5% of the time) is to stop and cook dinner about 5 o'clock, and then get in another hour of hiking before I make camp, but bears aren't much of a problem where they're actively hunted. West Virginia is much safer than, say, New Jersey.
    First I want to say, I'm a biker, so distances are greater for me. I do something similar, bear country or not. I make it part of my routine, because messing this up in bear country can be very bad. I stop well before dark, and make camp, travel a mile up trail (good preview), sup, and hang my food stuffs. Next morn, I pack up and go have breakfast. This makes a good incentive to get packed up and moving, cuz I'm hungry.
    Maturity makes the mind grow older.

Hammock
    Tablecloth
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Interesting idea, Drewstubby. A related newbie question then, do you ever worry that someone (of the 2 legged variety) will make off with your stuff? I know the 4-legged variety may get into food/gear especially if not properly stowed, but it would feel different if some random hiker/camper made off with it. Perhaps I've still got too much of a city-dweller mentality.
    Robin

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I boil water so there is no smell to impart to anything. So I feel there is no problem doing it under the tarp if I must, and do not worry about it. I eat sitting in the hammock sometimes and then put everything away in the bear canister and move it 100 feet away, into a tree well or a pile of granite (as an early warning system - bears can and do move 500 lb rocks).

Yosemite has arguably the worst bear problem in the world and this has never been an issue. Except for having to get up to scare away the bear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast